Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

10 minutes ago, richieb said:

Thank you, Sir. How would these rank with the set-up you have, quality wise? 

Not comparing it to Carl's set up, but that's a very good deal....I have had my Gaggia Classic for over 10 years.  With proper maintenance (like any other), it is excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I have a Rocky Rancilio grinder and an Isomac Relax machine.

That grinder was on my short list when I purchased. Very nice. How do you like the Isomac? Every time I look around I keep coming back to this Expobar. I don't think you can go wrong with a Gaggia Classic for the first stab at things. As JimJimbo has found it could last you a lifetime. I think I'll have mine for a while longer.

expobar-office-lever-plus-semi-automatic

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rplace said:

How do you like the Isomac?

I love it.  It's never given me a single issue in the decade or so that I've had it.  The thing is built like a tank and will probably be around after I'm gone.  I wanted one that would last and this seems to be it.  The switches are very heavy duty and the stainless and chrome are still perfect.  From what I understand, this is pretty much true of most of the upper end Italian machines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

coffee snobs.

That's funny

So what is espresso, is it that strong concentrated stuff ? If so I tried my daughter's once, (terrible) if not I have no idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

coffee snobs.

Ha! Speaker snob! ;)

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's funny

So what is espresso, is it that strong concentrated stuff ? If so I tried my daughter's once, (terrible) if not I have no idea.

Pretty much. Most restaurants don't know how to pull a decent shot. Nor do most 20-somethings working at a coffee shop to get through college. If it did not wow you it was made wrong.

I had my first one when I was only 19 in Italy when on liberty off from a Navy ship. I had zero appreciation for the finer things in life (like Klipsch speakers  :D). I thought Heineken was high end beer. I'd rather have a PB&J than a sit down meal. At that point I drank my coffee with cream and sugar just for the morning jolt. After that first one in a tiny outdoor café, I was hooked. I sat and had 3 more as fast a they could make them.

Find a good shop and give it another try. If you still don't like it send me the bill.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rplace said:

Find a good shop and give it another try.

Might have to try that, my daughter had one I think from starbucks and knowing I liked coffee asked me to try it. It was bad, extremely strong, almost a burned flavor and kind of bitter with barely a coffee flavor. I would guess it was not made right, I can't imagine how people could like that, i think she just drank it for the caffeine ? 

• Like 1

Just now, dtel said:

Might have to try that, my daughter had one I think from starbucks and knowing I liked coffee asked me to try it. It was bad, extremely strong and kind of bitter with barely a coffee flavor. I would guess it was not made right, I can't imagine how people could like that, i think she just drank it for the caffeine ? 

Starbucks coffee is known to be bitter...I haven't had their espresso..

I also assume the espresso would

he the same...

try a independently owned shop by

you...might have better results...

I stop here..https://m.facebook.com/carusopastryshop/ and grab a pastries with it too...

17760829_10154383076831524_1097052549291977826_o.jpg

IMG_20170415_075012.jpg

• Like 2

For sure not Starbucks, dtel.

Independent place with someone over 30 and you should be good. It should taste like coffee only better. If there is not a 1/4 inch frothy light brown layer above the rich, luscious deep deep brown almost black goodness it is not made right. Called Crema. Depending on the bean all sorts of flavors but dark chocolate and a leather-like earthiness are common to me. Hint of vanilla also...but not from any sort of syrup, it just happens. Some beans say citrus but I've never managed to see that in my mind when I drink one. With a gun to my head maybe a single sugar cube if you are just starting out, but preferable nothing in it at all. If you like black coffee you should like a GOOD espresso. If made poorly it can be a bitter (literally) pill to swallow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1