Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Ok I have to say something here, Florida drivers are crazy, and the further South you go the worse the drivers get. 

Had the last 2 weeks to see it in person, I'm surprised more Nascar drivers are not from your state. Three lanes, the right is someone going 45 mph, were in the center at 75 and people are blowing by us in the fast lane. This is not even counting the ones who love to weave between all three at high speeds. It took a while to get use to. :mellow: 

Yep, Central Florida is a region. 

South Florida with the ficus trees 40 ft tall beside the highway starts at about Pt St Lucie and I'll go ahead and call it the city of S. FL. It is one big metropolis.

Glad I had that 16 valve V8 so I didn't get run over! Loved driving over that elevated section somewhere near Miami that's like 40 feet above the ground, That's better than a long bridge that you can't see land in either direction:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

on that other thread..over there... the one I didn't want comment on again as it is a garage sale item....it will be interesting to see what the scalas bring.

Horrible condition but of some value (?) due to age, for a very select individual; probably don't 'work'.

My opinion is that they will never be "restored" and shouldn't be

If they actually have 6 drivers and 2 crossovers that play music they might be a conversation piece in a large mancave owned by a Klipsch head

Otherwise a couple of hunds to the finder by donors as gratis only because they get  a free trip to Hope

But, it will be interesting to see if they pop up in auction

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

You're closer to reality with that statement than you thought: Me in England, December 1975...about to make a balloon jump!

DEC 1975 Brit baloon jumper.JPG

I had seen the pic, that prompted the reply. I was a chancre mechanic (91C), straight leg and a house at for over half my career. But I did get to play with some of the more enthusiastic members of the airborne community at Camp Frank D. Merrill in Dahlonega Ga. between 1978 and 1981. We even got a Florida vacation thrown in during a cycle break. Dedicated aircraft for transport (a C-7), and a luxurious poncho liner for bedding in the swamp.

• Like 4

• Moderators

This was what the road through Islamorada Florida looked like last week. Hurricane debris piled up along the road waiting to be picked up. This area and South toward Marathon looked to be the worse, Key West was in really good shape.

DSC_4397_2733.JPG

DSC_4414_2750.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, dtel said:

This was what the road through Islamorada Florida looked like last week. Hurricane debris piled up along the road waiting to be picked up. This area and South toward Marathon looked to be the worse, Key West was in really good shape.

DSC_4397_2733.JPG

DSC_4414_2750.JPG

That looks like a pair of Forte lll in the pile on the right?  Not even wet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dtel said:

Ok I have to say something here, Florida drivers are crazy, and the further South you go the worse the drivers get. 

Had the last 2 weeks to see it in person, I'm surprised more Nascar drivers are not from your state. Three lanes, the right is someone going 45 mph, were in the center at 75 and people are blowing by us in the fast lane. This is not even counting the ones who love to weave between all three at high speeds. It took a while to get use to. :mellow: 

Went to Fort Myers several years ago on business for an overnighter. Drove LF's nearly new Accord wagon down for the trip. NASCAR is a really good analogy. After slowing down for going through Tampa on the interstate, as I went farther south, it was like a funnel to nowhere. Cars speeding up and while I was going 10 miles over the speed limit, they kept on pushing, especially the ones(vans) that I could see clearly in the rear views. And forget the slow lane, cause there was not one. Drafting off of other cars and the crazy driving, it is the training ground for NASCAR.

When you get to your destination, you feel like you have accomplished something. Coming back was not quite as bad but still wacky. Saw at least one car that was lucky. One left the highway and careened backwards in the opposite ditch.

All in all, I had it made with my Tally to Tampa back to back weekend turnaround. While dodging chairs, sofas, and other debris scattered on the interstate was a bit challenging, along with other dodge events, I decided that one day, it could be me, or someone else. The law of probability was going to catch up one day.

Long story short. yes, it can take a while to get used to. Had after every trip/:emotion-21:weekend an experience I could tell to LF. Spared her the details until this day.

• Like 2