Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

35 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have used a lot of steel from Germany that disproves that statement.

In hindsight I should have stated from Asia bad, especially like something from there that claims to be Stainless Steel. I know German engineering can't be called into question.

My Meindl boots that fit me so well and wore out after five years caused me to seek out another pair. Had to procure them from Vancouver, BC all the way to this side of the country.

• Like 3

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

In hindsight I should have stated from Asia bad, especially like something from there that claims to be Stainless Steel.

That's true, you see some of this steel break in ways that no one would ever think steel could break under normal conditions. It just breaks and cracks in non stress places for no reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Well it was cleaned with a sidegrinder with a wire wheel and then heated to 500 degrees. Reheated many times with oil to season it recoated with oil and baked in the oven for hours. If anything survived that, it would have killed me by now. 

I may not have used it if it came from LA, I think they have germs and diseases they have nowhere else in the world, it's what causes the craziness. Glad you got out. 

i’m sure you’re ok; but, next time call me and i’ll buy you a brand new one.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

i’m sure you’re ok; but, next time call me and i’ll buy you a brand new one.  

Now that takes all the fun out of it, part of what I like is it was cheap, like me. 

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

i think Derek Zoolander would tell you that Blue Steel is the best.

Those are some funny movies.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Now that takes all the fun out of it, part of what I like is it was cheap, like me. 

alright; but, don’t come crying to me when your tongue turns black and starts falling apart. 

I remember once back in 1981, my sister came to live with me. We go outside and on the neighbors trash can is a blender. She grabs it and brings it in the house. I tell her she can’t use it because we don’t know what they put in there. She told me that it’s glass, so nothing was going to soak into the glass. She washed it and used it -- it worked perfectly. I never drank anything that came out of that thing though. 

When i was moving recently, i stopped by one of my sisters (not the one mentioned above) to say goodbye. We’re talking about stuff like this and she asks me when I changed, saying “you were never worried about stuff like this before. You have to start letting some things go.” 

I hate to say it; but, i was probably too stoned before then to worry about anything. 

• Like 4

Good morning:emotion-44:

8 minutes ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

I have several knives made from Swiss steel by Glen Averitt of Hot Springs, AR. Now collector items since he retired. My favorite knives. One is an Arkansas Toothpick.

Now that is a lot of knife:emotion-21:

Swiss steel a good thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

Although their engineering "can't be called into question" I can assure you they can take engineering to absurd levels of complexity.

Sounds like you might be thinking about their automobiles.

I'll use each and every syllable to talk about a Mercedes, BMW or not in the least a Koenigsegg!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Decision time.....to pay the year's property tax or purchase some RF-7lll in cherry to match the RP-280s.  Both would be around $3600:mellow:

Just wrote my check yesterday for one-half. I consider prop tax one those "must do" and RF's a little gift at the appropriate time. It's hard to live in an RF box. Tiny house to the  extreme.

• Like 3

So is Santa bringing you gents any new audio gear or music?  Had a won the Megamillion drawing last night I would be buying the Mac 75s for sale here and some new RF-7llls.  Maybe a new preamp and turntable.  Might even try a moving coil cart.  Top it off with some Weller 12 or Blantons.  Perhaps a larger house with huge music room.  And a new Porsche. 

But that's just me........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

So is Santa bringing you gents any new audio gear or music?  Had a won the Megamillion drawing last night I would be buying the Mac 75s for sale here and some new RF-7llls.  Maybe a new preamp and turntable.  Might even try a moving coil cart.  Top it off with some Weller 12 or Blantons.  Perhaps a larger house with huge music room.  And a new Porsche. 

But that's just me........

No real musical presents on my list. I guess I've been naughty.

I've got a MC cartridge in the garage sale section. I'll give you a good deal. No need to win the lottery. It is a killer cartridge.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm thinking about giftingmyself a Schiit DAC and moving my current DAC out of the garage to a system in the house.

All property taxes have been paid:D

I've been liking everything I read about the Schiit products. If you go that route please report back.

Speaking of DAC check this out. It is both a DAC and an ADC as well as a phono stage for both MM and MC cartridges. It also has a remote. Almost sounds too good to be true. I'm really curious about it. I'd love to digitize some of my vinyl and I don't currently have a stand alone DAC. Sounds like it is a very good phono stage too.

Basic info

http://lnx.m2tech.biz/products/evo-two/evo-phonodac-two/

#6 out of 17 Phono stages reviewed

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-phono-preamps

• Like 4