Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

50 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Ok Rich...............lets adjust things here...........I have learned, that when you go into a Starbucks, you make everyone behind the counter happy when you say..............."What is the coffee of the day?"   Usually, one of their DARK roasts, Sumatra is one of their standards another is Veranda or the French Roast / Italian Roast, this is usually at the ready for them on any given day...   Their 'goodies' are all made from good ingredients these days, as they have cleaned up their act in that dept.

Now, and the roasts, the darker has the stronger, more full bodied flavour which I really like on occasion, and the rule is, the darker the roast, the less caffeine ....   The means, Espresso has the least when compared to the dark roasts.

The medium roasts like most restaurants offer, and standard roasts at D&D's, Tim Hortons and the like, have lots of kick !   The roast that Mike sent me has a very nice flavour for a medium roast, but I was not even thinking when I took my 3rd mug (you saw the photos of it) down to the studio to do some office work.........shortly after that, I was putting in a new dimmer for the livingroom end table lamps.   I was having a hard time holding the screws to put the 5 switch - switch plate back on and actually dropped the screws TWICE !   I had to think what the heck was THIS all about?   Then, dawned on me...........the coffee of course :lol:...

There my friend, is your L O N G answer :)

PS.  I am off the coffee now, and the WINE has started for the day / evening.............

Gary now speed balling....lol !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not so sure about this light vs dark and caffeine given my personal experience so I did some digging.

Quick Internet searching, so judge with skepticism. Seems like lots of variables. I like the volume versus weight measurements and how they explain that. I weigh my espresso shots but measure by volume (scoops) for drip coffee. I often go with a darker roast on most days, but frequently have light or medium roast too. I can't say I see a "buzz" difference given the roast. I for sure do when I drink too much and don't eat something.

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2016/11/debunked-light-dark-roasts-more-caffeine/

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/blog/caffeine-myths-dark-vs-light

For you ADD types that don't want to read it all:

So, how does this change a pot of coffee?

If you measure your coffee by scoops, light roasted coffee will have more caffeine. Since the beans are denser than a darker roast. However if you weigh out your scoops, darker roasts will have more caffeine, because there is less mass. What should also be noted is that Arabica beans vary in levels of caffeine depending on the plant species.

And, as we know from our caffeine basics the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee is so minimal, we might not even notice the difference.

Myth be damned. Depending on how ground coffee is measured, we find only a minimal variance in caffeine content with dark and light roasts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s enough snow on the ground to guarantee a white Christmas, even if daytime temps zoom up to 40, as predicted.  The mug with the Holly is from Hartstone Pottery In Zanesville, OH.  We got a whole set in the “seconds” room.  Not sure why the call it that, I was in there for several minutes.

IMG_0385 (Medium).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The central american beans seem to have more kick than others to me no matter what the roast.

There are basically two beans, Arabica and Robusto.  

Robusto have 2x the caffeine of Arabica.

Most gourmet coffees are Arabica.  Most grocery store brand coffees are Robusto.  A dark roast Robusto will still have 2x the caffeine of a light roast Arabica.

If you are compairing caffeine by roast from the same beans, Lighter roasted coffee will have more by volume, dark roasted coffee has more caffeine by weight. (Roasting does not cook out caffeine, what happens is the longer you roast the more the bean shrinks and the mass is reduced.   Pretty much everyone on the planet makes coffee by measuring coffee, so it is generally true that darker roasts will have less caffeine than lighter roasts if they are from the same bean.

If you want great flavor and max caffeine you have.to hunt down and find good tasting dark roast made.from Robusto beans.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dtel said:

Hope you have a better time than expected, it's a pretty good bet.

I figured if Dirtmudd quotes himself it can't be that bad, OK bad example. :ph34r:

Thought I might need to qualify what I said above.

On a ship, food everywhere, bars with almost anything you could want to drink, and nothing to do but relax. PLUS plenty of women walking around in bathing suits/bikini's, all in a good mood because there on vacation. OK to be fair some you might not want to see but still.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

The main difference is you were paid to be there, paying them you should get a little more I would hope, either way half or more women would have improved things dramatically for you, well in just about any situation I guess. 95% women would having you considering paying them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am SO IN THE DOG HOUSE.
In March of this year our family had a ski trip scheduled. I could not go last minute due to some work issues. They went alone.

Wife unit buys cruise tickets for us about that time so we could go to Cozumel together with our 13 and 16 y.o. youngsters.

The time arrives
I ask??? pass ports required?
Nope let me (da wife) handle this.
I say I think it best if we take pass ports.
I look for mine. It has been kept in the security manager's safe at work for years as I knew where it was and at a moment's notice I might need to jump a plane and head out.
It wasn't there.

I can't find it. Last known was my travels during multiple hurricane relief efforts.
Travel agent: no big deal, you have expired pass port and military / Homeland Security IDs.

Cruise ship has a different opinion (I agree)
I am now back home and the wife and kiddos are on the way across the gulf.
That woman is NOT pleased with me.

Cruise Line: send a neighbor over to break a window, give them safe combo so they can take a picture of your birth certificate and email it to you.....eh, no.

Oh, but even though PP weren't required the wife brought all of theirs.
I am screwed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, USNRET said:

I am screwed.

Hate to hear what happened, but your probably right with those.

I was hoping to hear what you thought about the trip.

• Like 2

In March of this year our family had a ski trip scheduled. I could not go last minute due to some work issues. They went alone.

Wife unit buys cruise tickets for us about that time so we could go to Cozumel together with our 13 and 16 y.o. youngsters.

The time arrives
I ask??? pass ports required?
Nope let me (da wife) handle this.
I say I think it best if we take pass ports.
I look for mine. It has been kept in the security manager's safe at work for years as I knew where it was and at a moment's notice I might need to jump a plane and head out.
It wasn't there.

I can't find it. Last known was my travels during multiple hurricane relief efforts.
Travel agent: no big deal, you have expired pass port and military / Homeland Security IDs.

Cruise ship has a different opinion (I agree)
I am now back home and the wife and kiddos are on the way across the gulf.

Cruise Line: send a neighbor over to break a window, give them safe combo so they can take a picture of your birth certificate and email it to you.....eh, no.

Oh, but even though PP weren't required the wife brought all of theirs.
I am screwed.

Nah, you'll be fine...Run with the "Honey, I'm so disappointed that I didn't get to go with you, I was soooooo looking forward to having a good time with you....."  perspective.  She'll get over it.  Just don't buy anything while she's gone...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2