Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

The time of reckoning approaches as I have to meet the ship at 0700 Saturday. Since it is a 4-5 hour drive requiring an early departure from this sand bar I requested reservations @ Carl's Bed and Breakfast in Beaumont for Friday night. Sigh. I must be in bad favor as not one of multiple PMs, emails or phone calls have been acknowledged. Dash it all; it is the Holiday Inn Resort for me albeit a step up to a 2 star dwelling.

i’d leave now if i were you.  leaving your bride at the dock is never a good thing but, especially this time.

• Like 3

Just now, BigStewMan said:

i’d leave now if i were you.  leaving your bride at the dock is never a good thing but, especially this time.

Yer right. I need time at some convenience stores to pick up Christmas gifts....if I hit the scratch offs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

I have been informed (warned) not to squander vacation days as the kids LOVED cruising and are wanting to get PADI certs after their multiple dives.

you have smart kids -- nothing more relaxing than being at sea ... paradoxically, as much as I whine about my current isolation, i could live at sea easily. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Bought it a few days ago. Wrapped it in cheese cloth and will make my own "dry aged" prime while it sits in the fridge for the next few days. Rotate the cloth with clean ones every 12 hours and I should be good. 

3212.jpeg

Yum. Christmas eve? or Christmas? When should I arrive:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Bought it a few days ago. Wrapped it in cheese cloth and will make my own "dry aged" prime while it sits in the fridge for the next few days. Rotate the cloth with clean ones every 12 hours and I should be good. 

You ruined it, now it's going to taste like cheese !  :o Never tried cooking that myself but it's my favorite, should be great.

I do something similar with whole pork loin, just finished one yesterday. I know this is going to sound crazy but I love things with spice. I rub a thick coat of Sriracha sauce then other spices on all sides of the whole loin and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Next I smoke it until the internal temp is 135 degrees, about 3 hours at 225, it comes out perfect every time. It's one of my favorites, I do one about every other week. One reason is because when it's on sale it's cheaper than chicken and much better, with no bones or waste at about 1.99 per pound. No matter how you season it positively do not cook past 135 degrees internal, guarantee you it will be good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Had dinner with a customer back in 95 or so. He was a butcher at a local Publix market. He interestingly enough was telling me about how trickinosis(sp) was practically non-existant anymore in store bought pork. Since then have relaxed a bit about pork and temps around 150.

Not that into anything bloody mind you but, see others cooking pork with less cooking time. Smoking for that long certainly should take care of most things untoward. Really like smoked meats here. Nothing much better than a tender juicy  Boston butt. thoroughly cooked, of course.

Wild hogs in general, I would cook higher temp. When I cook, I tend to get most things well done, either by  time or temp.

Not a smoker though like these guys.

• Like 3

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, -js- said:

I am FAR from the expert on smoking, but 135 internal?  is that hot enough?

YES they say 140, but at 135 it has just lost most of the pink and is still juicy. They use to say 170, but at that temp the pork has turned white and very dry and tough, the way i use to cook it before doing alot of reading. When you stop it at 135 it still cooks for a while.

Done many like this for us and many people who come by, there is a very very slight pink, which is safe, it's not like many years ago. If you would rather just cook it to 138-139, at 140 it's just about to turn more white as overcooked pork does and it start to dry out. Try one to say like 139 degrees and see what you think, bet it's the best pork loin you have had, a texture like juicy steak not tough or dry. I use one of those probes you leave in the meat as it cooks so I can watch the temp as it cooks.

Edit; , must have posted at the same time, i didn't know about trichinosis , I was just reading, mostly from smoking sites and checked it with other cooking sites, they say 140 but I have done probably 100 of them at 135 and never had a problem or got sick in any way.....................unless that's what's wrong with me, :o who knows, my wife might agree.

• Like 6

I 'member when I was down and out at 19 living in a hotel in Portland Oregon. I was hungry and had an address with the hotel so I went to the food bank.

Got back to the room, found some canned meat in the bag. Oh boy! Meat! So I tore into it, got about 1/4-1/2 way through the can, and read on the can "must cook before eating".

Spent the next four days in bed, and railing back and forth to the bathroom...

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

Spent the next four days in bed, and railing back and forth to the bathroom...

oh no. that must have been awful.  I've only had just one bad reaction that I remember to something I ate.  I thought I was gonna die.

but yes, I think it was a faint memory of warnings in the past about the trichinosis or other kinds of things that were apparently legitimate fears in days gone by.

and I could have google searched but didn't think about doing that until well after I replied.  doh.

I will have to try to remember that the next time we fire up our smoker.  we haven't had ours but about a year or so.  so I'm still learning how to do all that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

3212.jpeg

are you making it for me ?

• Like 3