Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That looks relatively revolting.

I agree I have had it 3 different ways, sucked every time, that was my last, whoever likes it can have mine. It was raw once and in 2 different cooked dishes. :emotion-45:

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

You're doing it right dtel, and it will get at least to 140 during the resting time.   There is nothing wrong with a little pink, and a lot wrong with over cooked.

Thank you, haven't made anyone sick yet, I'm particular with pork now because I way overcooked it for many years, never again.

2 hours ago, -js- said:

I will have to try to remember that the next time we fire up our smoker.  we haven't had ours but about a year or so.  so I'm still learning how to do all that.

Try it at that temp, you will like it. Most of the time at the end i put on the hot part of the smoker to get a little char on the fat side, still watching the temp.

You really need to use the smoker more, try a meatloaf :o form the meat on foil on a flat pan, slide the foil off onto the smoker and cook like that so it can be taken off the same way without sticking to the grate.  For spaghetti sauce i shape the meat into giant burgers and smoke, later put into pot your going to cook in and break up the meat to however size you like, same for chili. I smoke everything I can, plus much of the fat drips off.

This a good website for info and recipes. 

http://thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, mike stehr said:

I 'member when I was down and out at 19 living in a hotel in Portland Oregon. I was hungry and had an address with the hotel so I went to the food bank.

Got back to the room, found some canned meat in the bag. Oh boy! Meat! So I tore into it, got about 1/4-1/2 way through the can, and read on the can "must cook before eating".

Spent the next four days in bed, and railing back and forth to the bathroom...

That's something you will never forget, I have only been sick from food 3 times. All 3 times was from a chain hamburger joint, Ground Patti was the name. 3 Different times, 3 different locations over about a 3-4 year period, never again.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

It actually looks like bait in the picture.

To me that's all it's good for, and I will eat almost anything, but never again with that. The last time I had it was a few weeks ago in Miami, it was restaurant that was Peruvian food,(don't know why) the dish was really good except for that part. A piece or rubber would not have been harder to chew, no taste really.  I tried it raw once at a sushi bar, it was so bad the raw eel was better and it was terrible. :huh:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's something you will never forget, I have only been sick from food 3 times. All 3 times was from a chain hamburger joint, Ground Patti was the name. 3 Different times, 3 different locations over about a 3-4 year period, never again.

No kidding. I've had mild food poisoning over the years after that, with pepperoni pizza being one that took me out for a day, but nothing on that scale.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

No kidding. I've had mild food poisoning over the years after that, with pepperoni pizza being one that took me out for a day, but nothing on that scale.

What you needed was a tall glass of water from Nuevo Laredo to wash it all down.  Nothing like the water from one of Northern Mexico's border towns to perk your spirts right up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

Mrs Paul's fish sticks put my wife and I in the hospital.   Took right at an hour from the time we ate it till our bodies rejected it.  I was so dehydrated the next morning when we got to the ER that my blood pressure wouldn't register sitting up.  I has to lay down for them to get a reading.  2 bags of IV fluids later I started to come around.  That was the sickest I've ever been.  My stomach muscles hurt for a week from throwing up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dtel said:

YES they say 140, but at 135 it has just lost most of the pink and is still juicy. They use to say 170, but at that temp the pork has turned white and very dry and tough, the way i use to cook it before doing alot of reading. When you stop it at 135 it still cooks for a while.

Done many like this for us and many people who come by, there is a very very slight pink, which is safe, it's not like many years ago. If you would rather just cook it to 138-139, at 140 it's just about to turn more white as overcooked pork does and it start to dry out. Try one to say like 139 degrees and see what you think, bet it's the best pork loin you have had, a texture like juicy steak not tough or dry. I use one of those probes you leave in the meat as it cooks so I can watch the temp as it cooks.

Edit; , must have posted at the same time, i didn't know about trichinosis , I was just reading, mostly from smoking sites and checked it with other cooking sites, they say 140 but I have done probably 100 of them at 135 and never had a problem or got sick in any way.....................unless that's what's wrong with me, :o who knows, my wife might agree.

That sounds perfect., I'll give it a go. Another tip I read for the prime rib and other beef is to leave it out on the counter for two or three hours at room temperature prior to cooking it. Once I learned this, cooking became a whole lot easier. 

Lol, one time many years ago I remember doing this and in came my boxer while I was relaxing in my bedroom. Just waking up. He sat looking at me, looking at the door then turned and looked at me again. I thought that's interesting then...where is your "brother" a Rottweiler/German mix? So getting up I made my way to the kitchen and there hilariously was this 120#(yeah, he was big) dog somehow like a clown crammed into the corner of the TOP of the kitchen counter happily chewing away at a T-bone steak. Blissfully unaware of me. Alternating between laughing and being a little pissed I composed myself said "Chance, what are you doing?" Man, his ears went back and his eyes were the most expressive they have ever been. Like "Oh,crap I'm so screwed" look. I almost laughed. He literally slid off the counter top and tip toes back to his bed like some villain in a cartoon.

Loved that dog, miss him to this day. So VERY smart.He figured out how to open a door KNOB to get into rooms. Would talk back to you by making a fire engine sound. You tell him to sit he'd sit. Only to sit and scoot across the floor because you didn't tell him to stay. Once you combined the two commands he'd argue with you fire engine like. He knew he wasn't supposed to be on that counter and ratted out by little brother. 

Sorry for the long post. Back to beef & pork....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Mrs Paul's fish sticks put my wife and I in the hospital.   Took right at an hour from the time we ate it till our bodies rejected it.  I was so dehydrated the next morning when we got to the ER that my blood pressure wouldn't register sitting up.  I has to lay down for them to get a reading.  2 bags of IV fluids later I started to come around.  That was the sickest I've ever been.  My stomach muscles hurt for a week from throwing up.

Please, please assure us no pictures will be posted of this ordeal?' Thank you in advance -- The Forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

What you needed was a tall glass of water from Nuevo Laredo to wash it all down.  Nothing like the water from one of Northern Mexico's border towns to perk your spirts right up.

Had some once, along with some Mexican border street food from a cart, no problems, could have just been lucky ? My wife say I have an iron stomach, I can eat anything any time of the day and not have any problems.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

That was the sickest I've ever been.

I was sick from those hamburger places for 3 days each time, but not to the point of what you went through. Sounds like what you had could have done you in.

• Like 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Rxonmymind said:

I'll give it a go. Another tip I read for the prime rib and other beef is to leave it out on the counter for two or three hours at room temperature prior to cooking it. Once I learned this, cooking became a whole lot easier. 

I read something about that also with other meats so I try to remember to pull it out long enough for it to get room temp, don't know if it has helped ?

43 minutes ago, Rxonmymind said:

He literally slid off the counter top and tip toes back to his bed like some villain in a cartoon.

That's funny, can't hardly blame him, probably was not funny at the time.

44 minutes ago, Rxonmymind said:

Would talk back to you by making a fire engine sound.

We have 2 small dogs, one is a Min pin, my wife taught him to roll over for a treat in 3 days. It was so easy she wanted to teach him to sing for a treat, 3 days later we realized it was a HUGE mistake. Now he sings all the time he thinks he deserves a treat which is alot. He is driving me crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just in!!! Had a wonderful chicken cordon blue dinner. Absolutely yummy. Backed up by these hot sauces that usps dropped off right before dinner. Might thoughtful of them. Sometimes this surveillance thing is OK.:P

All these are on the mild side as I still wanted to taste my food. My wife who normally stays away from hot sauces tried a few as I made  a sampler plate about a quarter size each. Her favorite was the Marie Sharps smokey habenro with the Aztec Indian and Roux.Roux had a Sirscha/Frank's red hot type flavor. I liked all of them with my favorite was Marie Sharps Habenero on the left with the pepper picture. Unfortunately, Tears of the sun was fourth place. Even my nine year old daughter got into the act liking what mom did. Hurmph!...:lol:

IMG_20171222_180134.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 5:18 PM, babadono said:

I think I posted this a couple weeks ago for Gia, now it's for Mike

Great gosh I hope not, the flu for Christmas?  3 weeks is long enough, get better Mike.

now I know why....the subliminal message...I pick this up yesterday..IMG_20171221_195840_hdr.thumb.jpg.c279c24c8fdc053de783a6b54e539478.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

I've got to ask - after the second episode from the same chain weren't various parts of your body starting to question your sanity? Rebellion had to be near - ?! Yet you tempted a third ? That food must have tasted mighty damn good -- goin' in one hole. Double or nothin'  goin' out. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, richieb said:

I've got to ask - after the second episode from the same chain weren't various parts of your body starting to question your sanity? Rebellion had to be near - ?! Yet you tempted a third ? That food must have tasted mighty damn good -- goin' in one hole. Double or nothin'  goin' out. 

Questioning sanity has been brought up before, my wife always say "what's wrong with you" with that look, when I do dumb things.

The first 2 times was about a year and a half apart different locations. The third time I was a year later with a group of people going to lunch from work, thinking what are the odds, plus at a 3 rd location, well the odds were really high apparently. And you know what my wife probably said.

I was with other people all three times and I was the only one to get sick 3 times. http://groundpati.com/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1