Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

14 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Good morning.

Wish I could say I saw, heard, or felt the meteor last evening in Southeast Michigan, but I did not.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/16900274/meteor-detroit-explode-nasa-meteorite

If this is for real, why wasn’t there more news about it’s impending arrival?  Are we no better at predicting such events than the dinosaurs?  I gues their meteor was bigger than this one.

I also heard no advance notice of this. I would have loved to have seen it in person and might have even put up with the below zero temps to witness.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Good morning.

Wish I could say I saw, heard, or felt the meteor last evening in Southeast Michigan, but I did not.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/16900274/meteor-detroit-explode-nasa-meteorite

If this is for real, why wasn’t there more news about it’s impending arrival?  Are we no better at predicting such events than the dinosaurs?  I gues their meteor was bigger than this one.

The news I heard said "experts" estimated the size between a golf and tennis ball! I guess hitting the atmosphere at 45,000 mph has that effect?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Looking at the sun streaming through the filthy windows.  Who has the magic pill for exterior window cleaning?  I know about Windex, ammonia, newspaper, alcohol, and microfiber towels. 

What else?

Mom used vinegar / very little water with newspaper; no streak

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Looking at the sun streaming through the filthy windows.  Who has the magic pill for exterior window cleaning?  I know about Windex, ammonia, newspaper, alcohol, and microfiber towels. 

What else?

Elbow grease.

If you're doing a lot of windows, there's nothing better and faster than a squeegee made for glass cleaning.  It'll have a sponge/cleaner on one side and the rubber squeegee on the other.  Mix up a pail of glass cleaner and you'll be done in no time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Good morning.

If this is for real, why wasn’t there been more news about it’s impending arrival?  Are we no better at predicting such events than the dinosaurs?  I gues their meteor was bigger than this one.

My wife and I were hearing some very odd thumping sounds late at night, like someone dropped a bag of concrete on our roof. I thought something broke under a snow load, but when I searched for damage, I didn't find any. 

She found out they are called frost quakes.......

Experts call the noises thermal expansion and contraction. That means the components in your home are shrinking and expanding with extreme temperature changes, especially with the sub-zero temperatures so many of us have been experiencing recently.

"There's motion because the outside temperature is different from the temperature inside of your house, so these differentials could cause movement in a different direction and could create that noise," Wentworth Institute of Technology professor Garrick Goldenberg said.

And when materials are tightly secured with nails or fasteners, and the pressure becomes too great, the energy may be released suddenly and cause a loud noise.

And as unsettling and nerve-wracking as they sound, it's not usually a sign of danger.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

What else?

2 cups water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dish 

https://shewearsmanyhats.com/the-best-window-cleaner/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, dirtmudd said:
20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Oops I accidentally dropped my cocktail  instead of smoking it.  My bad.

18 hours ago, dirtmudd said:
18 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Where is my bud Steve?

must of found a nice British girl...

That's bound to happen if Steve is giving out buds.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

She found out they are called frost quakes.......

Have something similar happen here but not from frost and on a smaller scale. Usually it happens in the summer, when it's hot and a cloud or rain passes over, or the opposite, you can hear the metal roof make slight popping noises from the metal expanding and contracting.

Sounds what you have going on is a little more extreme, as long as there is no damage.

• Like 3