Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I was born in Indiana, moved to Michigan when I was 10. When you cross the border they give you a snowmobile as a house warming gift. I remember going trick-or-treating with a snowmobile suit over my costume because it was so damn cold. Had to unzip like a flasher at every house then run to the next with my frozen snickers. No thanks, been moving further south since I was in my 20s. I won't be happy till I live at the equator. Don't care if I ever see snow again...and I was just back in Michigan for a week. It totally reinforced my thoughts. If there was any part of my being that thought "well maybe the cold is not so bad" it was eradicated upon that fist morning with frozen nose hairs. You Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota people know what I am talking about. You breath in and all your snot/hairs are frozen together like a faulty zipped Ziploc bag of veggies in your freezer. All crystalized and nasty.

Sorry, frozen rant over. I think I have frozen-PTSD from my recent trip back home. I'll try and thaw out with some more coffee!  

I'm with you RP - hate it when my snicker freezes up --- 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Davis said:

I have never ridden a snowmobile.

I know they have some fast ones.

But then again I wont ride my motorcycle under 65 degrees.

65? And 'Ceptor, 50? Come on guys hike 'em up and ride. Now admittedly as I've gotten older my extreme cold riding has dwindled but I would ride in the mid-30's regularly, streets permitting.  And rode many many days into the 20's where it does start to cool you a bit. Best riding accessory I own are electric heated gloves plugged into the battery. If my hands are warm I'm good to go. Is funny that when its really cold you don't feel the warmth from the gloves but your hands don't get cold. Electric gloves and electric vest/jacket under your main riding coat and you can darn near ride no matter how cold. 

And the "club" I ride with always meets for a New Year's Day breakfast regardless of temps and there have been plenty into the teens. Don't show and you may as well hang your ballz on the mantel !?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, -js- said:

dipped in places night before last near 10 I think.  in the teens last night.  got a dusting of snow Tuesday, barely got to freezing yesterday.  should get to +/- 40 today, and 65 Saturday.  you know what they say - don't like the weather?  give it a little while.

I would think 10 around you would be right, it was 14 last night here and 18 the night before, sucks, but we should be back to around 70 by the end of the week. :emotion-21:

What's funny is we got a light dusting of snow Tuesday night for a few hours, schools and business are still closed today, for a second day, if you look really hard you might find a patch of snow in the shade where the sun couldn't reach.

I don't like cold but we are NOT moving more South to avoid it, this is close enough to the sun in the summer as I care to live. I'll be complaining about the heat in a few months, as usual, guess it happens more the older you get.

• Like 4

as a desert rat

I have no qualms with saying 60 is cold. For me to move further south, I would be outa the country. 

That being said, I used to ride in the winter. AM temps, sub freezing... Laying on the tank. One hand on the head ....

I gave my bike away. I woulda killed myself on it. And if I didn't, someone else would.  It like a lotta things.

can say I had a bike. Can say I had a TriumpSpitfire loaded with a 170HP V6  and survived. The Triumph was scary fast. Gave that away, too

a little rambling

I have just about got the wife talked into closing this place up and wintering in HI.  Let this place out to someone from snow country for a few months.  :P

Little passed time for mud. But, this isn't syrup from being too long on the stove.

• Like 1

This is reassuring.  The State of Michigan can't even write a decent explanation for why their site is unable to accept online sales tax payments.

Note it's not quantified to return after the passage of some certain time period, but invites a return "sometime."  I wonder how much the author of this is paid.

Screenshot (156).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, WillyBob said:

For me to move further south, I would be outa the country. 

I know how you feel, I would be out in the Gulf.

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Note it's not quantified to return after the passage of some certain time period, but invites a return "sometime." 

That's funny

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, DizRotus said:

.....I wonder how much the author of this is paid.

Not very much, probably.

If I had to guess requirements were written by a non-technical, old guy, who knew very little about what a web browser was; let alone software development best practices. Those requirements were RFQed and the slickest talking, lowest bidder won. They threw out all sorts of technical words that were hot at the time but even they did not understand. The old dude from the government was wowed even though his gut told him this was a just a used car salesman with an expense account. Shocked that he won the bid the know-nothing Project Manage now had to find someone to actually do the work....though he did not really know what that work was. He called a head hunter the pretended to specialize in technical placement. When the PM got the estimate of how much a "programmer" cost he started to panic based on his (terrible) estimate of hours required and the low ball bid he won with. So he contacted someone that specialized in cheap programming. This is the only guy in the chain that knew the story. He knew it was a fairly simple task but he could sell it as a monumental endeavor. The PM went back to the gov. guy who was ready to retire and just wanted it off his plate. He was told about scope creep, moving targets and changing requirements. The gov guy modded the contract and gave the PM 3X what he originally bid (making him the highest bidder after the fact). The PM still worried about not delivering gave all that money to the one guy that knew what was up. The guy in the know either hired a person fresh out of college with a BS in computer science with English has her second language or offshored it to one of two huge places in India. Either way the fresh faced woman out of college (willing to take any work way below market price to keep her visa going) or the guys in India (chained to computers for 20 hours a day) did not have a full grasp of the English language and its fine nuance. However, it is by no means their fault or problem.

The guy pocketing all the money didn't care because he knew the PM and the Gov guy were too ignorant to see the corners cut. The gov. took delivery and it all worked sort of okay. But they never tested it so they never saw the error messages in question. Neil @DizRotus comes along and says that message does not even makes sense. Because it doesn't. It made sense if you were reading it on the written page and translating it to your native language in your head. But there was no basic QC to say lets word smith this just a bit. It will only take 3 minutes. The programming is solid, but the words on the page are not.

The college grad/Indian guys did the best they cold given the information they had. Nobody did the up front leg work to call out what should happen at each path the software takes. The PM got a promotion, the gov. guy retired with a pension and the guy who actually understood the game got all the money; while the programmers that did the work said....I thought this was a high paying industry, what happened the last 20 years?:unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rplace said:

Not very much, probably.

If I had to guess requirements were written by a non-technical, old guy, who knew very little about what a web browser was; let alone software development best practices. Those requirements were RFQed and the slickest talking, lowest bidder won. They threw out all sorts of technical words that were hot at the them but even they did not understand. The old dude from the government was wowed even though his gut told him this was a just a used car salesman with an expense account. Shocked that he won the bid the know-nothing Project Manage now had to find someone to actually do the work....though he did not really know what that work was. He called a head hunter the pretended to specialize in technical placement. When the PM got the estimate of how much a "programmer" cost he started to panic based on his (terrible) estimate of hours required and the low ball bid he won with. So he contacted someone that specialized in cheap programming. This is the only guy in the chain that knew the story. He knew it was a fairly simple task but he could sell it as a monumental endeavor. The PM when back to the gov. guy who was ready to retire and just wanted it off his plate. He was told about scope creep, moving targets and changing requirements. The gov guy modded the contract and gave the PM 3X what he originally bid (making him the highest bidder after the fact). The PM still worried about not delivering gave all that money to the one guy that knew what was up. The guy in the know either hired a person fresh out of college with a BS in computer science with English has her second language or offshored it to one of two huge places in India. Either way the fresh faced woman out of college (willing to take any work way below market price to keep her visa going) or the guys in India (chained to computers for 20 hours a day) did not have a full grasp of the English language and its fine nuance. However, it is by no means their fault or problem.

The guy pocketing all the money didn't care because he knew the PM and the Gov guy were too ignorant to see the corners cut. The gov. took delivery and it all worked sort of okay. But they never tested it so they never saw the error messages in question. Neil @DizRotus comes along and says that message does not even makes sense. Because it doesn't. It made sense if you were reading it on the and translating it to your native language in your head. But there was no basic QC to say lets word smith this just a bit. It will only take 3 minutes. The programming is solid, but the words on the page are not.

The college grad/Indian guys did the best they cold given the information they had. Nobody did the up front leg work to call out what should happen at each path the software takes. The PM got a promotion, the gov. guy retired with a pension and the guy who actually understood the game got all the money; while the programmers that did the work said....I thought this was a high paying industry, what happened the last 20 years?:unsure:

I can’t wait for the movie.  Can I play the non-technical old guy?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Sometime" was, apprapparently, earlier this morning.  Upon returning to the post maintenance site, it was first necessary to choose four security questions.  One was, apparently, authored by the "sometime" person.  The question was, "In what city were you born in?"  Such a pity to waste a perfectly good "in."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

"Sometime" was, apprapparently, earlier this morning.  Upon returning to the post maintenance site, it was first necessary to choose four security questions.  One was, apparently, authored by the "sometime" person.  The question was, "In what city were you born in?"  Such a pity to waste a perfectly good "in."

Sounds like that was from the Department of Redundancy Department

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mornin'

from what I've been reading here ... it would appear than many [several?] of you are familiar with my old stomping grounds. North central IN. Prolly was MI before they cut a piece off to give IN great lake "frontage" ... My dad worked in the band instrument industry.

I've been down here so long, that I am semi-native.

Got a bag of Mexican beans, from the roaster. Good stuff.

There are a couple varieties I don't care for. One is a specialty bean. Dried with the cherry on. Might be an acquired taste ... reminded me of chicory. And I am not too keen about dark roast, in general.

No "weather" yet. Was too warm this AM. Clouds on the western horizon.  Looks like it is coming. Our winter precip mirrors SanDiego, if you scale it back a bit.

• Like 3

Afternoon gang.  I spent all morning putting a sub back together for my garage system.  Got it all hooked up and I don't have enough gain from my pre amp to drive the pro amp.  No problem I thought as I have an ART Cleanbox made just for that purpose.  I dug it out and went to hook it up and found out I need 2 more CABLES that I didn't have.  I have every length of RCA cable and splitter that I'd ever need but didn't have any XLR cables.  Hopefully Monoprice can have them to me by next weekend.

20180120_115234.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Afternoon gang.  I spent all morning putting a sub back together for my garage system.  Got it all hooked up and I don't have enough gain from my pre amp to drive the pro amp.  No problem I thought as I have an ART Cleanbox made just for that purpose.  I dug it out and went to hook it up and found out I need 2 more CABLES that I didn't have.  I have every length of RCA cable and splitter that I'd ever need but didn't have any XLR cables.  Hopefully Monoprice can have them to me by next weekend.

Good job Carl....sneaking in a little cable conversation :D

Does that sub only have an XLR input?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a couple of my two cents.................  XLR would be a balanced 'line level', I would think the shortage of cables would be the 'interconnects' .. The sub would have a standard quarter inch (old school) or, more likely in professional use, a 'speakon'  connector....   :ph34r:  ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Good job Carl....sneaking in a little cable conversation :D

Does that sub only have an XLR input?

The sub is passive and uses speaker wire from the Crown K2.  The K2 has 2 types of inputs.  The first one I tried was the 1/4" jack.  I used a 1/4 to RCA adapter on it and with all the gains up (amp and Paradigm X-30 crossover) I was still getting low volume.  I'll go RCA to the Cleanbox then XLR from the Cleanbox to the amp.  Should work fine.

• Like 1

So unless I got something mixed up, it looks like you have 396s in you "garage system"! That's pretty impressive. I toyed with the idea of unloading one of my pairs of industrial La Scalas and giving the 396s a try. Googled the price and found out I would have to sell two pairs of LS's and a couple pairs of Belles to make the transaction! Maybe my RB61IIs would have to be thrown in to cover shipping.

I may have to hang out in your garage some day to finally hear them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1