Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

my boy gave me a bottle of WoodfordReserve for Christmas.  I'm not agin scotch.

I can't do vodka or gin. I "overdosed" on vodka when I was a kid .... the smell of gin puts me off. I spose that IF could get some good, I might change my mind IDK.

by the by

don't fall for the blue agave hype when you're shopping tequila. May or may not taste the best. The reason it is used is simply because it produce/grows faster ... es todo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I'm not a huge Hendricks fan. Like it yes but prefer Bombay Sapphire Tanquera 10, std. Tanqueray. Depending on the cocktail Plymouth is a must. Hendricks is too much in the cucumber. It make a decent G&T. Thanks for the N Amsterdam tip. I'll look for it

@CECAA850If you can't get the N. Amsterdam gin, let me know, we have it here.  I'll bring some to Hope if that's the case.

• Thanks 1

Good morning.  Enjoying a cup of 8 O’clock Colombian whole bean while listening to Inger Marie Gundersen and reading about the scandals at my alma mater, MSU.  It was almost a year ago when I first contacted MSU’s then president about my disappointment in MSU’s actions regarding Nassar.

Now I don’t know whether to feel like Don Quixote or the old grump yelling at kids to get off his lawn.  My recent concerns about what I perceive to be a serious safety issue regarding natural gas have Consumers Energy personnel trying to make me feel like a crank.   See post in this thread on Thursday 1/25/18 @ 12:22 am.

The public danger created by Consumers Energy’s lack of accountability is real; people have died.  Is my resolve half that of Rachel Denhollander, whose courage put the monstrous Nassar behind bars?  We shall see.  I know I will feel responsible if I do nothing and someone dies from another natural gas explosion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I'm not a huge Hendricks fan. Like it yes but prefer Bombay Sapphire Tanquera 10, std. Tanqueray. Depending on the cocktail Plymouth is a must. Hendricks is too much in the cucumber. It make a decent G&T. Thanks for the N Amsterdam tip. I'll look for it

Dont know why but I really like 10 but can't do Sapphire. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richieb said:

A doctor friend once told me if you drink more than your share? drinking the clear spirits are the least damaging to internals, kidney.

Vodka, and gin in particular have the most filtering during distillation. They are "cleaner" than the brown booze.

My twisted mind thinks of Everclear.

no, I don't drink that. It is a dandy food safe solvent.

• Like 1

A brother-in-law would have fit in here well it seems. He liked a refreshment after work. It killed him at the age of 53. I don't know if Milk Thistle would have helped his liver but if I drank much alcohol I would certainly find out.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

My twisted mind thinks of Everclear.

no, I don't drink that. It is a dandy food safe solvent.

Many many years ago at a party we tried Everclear, back then it was popular to mix it with grape juice and other things to try and kill of the taste.

Also Everclear was used with Peppermint schnaps.   Schnaps in the freezer then poured in a shot glass, a little Everclear on top, light it then blow it out (unlike Eddie Murphy) then drink it, hot on top and cold on the bottom.

• Like 3

A friend from the mid 70s and the VP at the last company I worked for was buried the same day as I was burying Jake.  He drank every day and had trouble with his arm speed throwing back beers and shots till 8 pm every night.  He traveled on business several times a week and his first order of business was to find the local  watering hole.  He died in Hospice with liver failure.  He was 64.

It certainly is an eye opener.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I notice you say "try" ... When I was a kid, we used to have "Jungle Juice" parties. A garbage can with Hawaiian Punch mixed with whatever came in the door.  Seemed like no matter how much or what went in, all you could taste was HP.

one day, I got invited out for "a drink". Told him I didn't drink any more ...

"You don't drink any less, do you?"  ... 

very interesting character. Colin ... I think he was with MI-5 during WWII, in China. Claimed he worked for BBC.... yeah sure.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I drink very little these days, on occasion. What I do not like is you can have a couple few drinks and your going to feel like that or worse the rest of the day.

If it would wear off in 2-3 hours it would be easier to deal with.

• Like 2

Waaaay back when I was in school and when folks didn't think much about drinking and before the PC police emerged my family was in the liquor business so supplies were not a problem. (Ironically enough mom never drank and dad very little) So when time came for the dorms Purple Haze party and were scrounging up grain alcohol for the purple punch people nearly fell off their feet when I opened the trunk to several cases of 190 grain. Gawd I still almost taste that crap both goin' down and on the reverse trip. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I crack my bottle every couple of weeks.

today was one. I sat in the swing.... out in the sun. They are having a thing at the park ... A celebration of our town's history and people. Music, food, games ... and we were "on display". A sort of invite for people to come see us. The locals didn't have to dress. We did wear clean ...  Saw a few friends, hobbled home. A shot and a smoke on the swing seemed just right.

a couple week ago, the granddaughter was here. Wife was running laundry. We graywater ... Kid picks up a little piece of scrap plywood. Flops it in the water and stands on it.

Wife asks her what she is doing "I'm surfing, Nana"

• Like 2