Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I live in Seattle, where coffee is something of a religion.  We don't have any others.  

I would say first find out what kind of roast you like.  Totally a personal preference.  Try some French Roast to see the extreme end of roasting and maybe a breakfast blend, which tend towards medium.  Highly unlikely you will go for a light if you a regular coffee drinker. I would avoid flavored coffees at almost any cost.  They don't make flavored coffees with good coffee because they do not have to.

There is a longstanding fight over the optimal temperature to make coffee. There is the 192 camp and the 195 camp. Whether one or the other is right, you want a coffee maker that is close to  those  numbers.  And that might cost you a bit.  I have represented the company that makes Bonavita coffee makers, which you probably can get for less than $200.  To be honest,  it never made sense to me.  But a good coffee maker does.  Look for technical specs, not pretty pictures. 

I always likes the Ninja for no reason.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Brewer-Thermal-Carafe-CF086/dp/B0174FD5TQ/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B0174FD5TQ&linkCode=w61&imprToken=XiEsIVy2YENT7BuQMPZEBw&slotNum=15&tag=brownbeanzz-20

Coffee is dead 20 minutes after it is brewed according to Starbucks.  No idea if that is true or not. I drink mine until it is gone.

• Like 3

Hi vasubandu

Oh yeah ... Some coffees will sour if you let them sit.  I remember one Gevalia roast was particularly bad about it.

I prefer a light -medium roast. French roast is too dark for me. I think of it as pre-burnt.

the roaster here sez Robusta beans are generally dark roasted because they are inferior

• Like 2

@WillyBob coffee can be temperamental, and then sometimes we make more of it than there is.  Some mornings, I am lazy and just microwave what is left from yesterday.  I actually don't notice very often how it tastes, I just drink it. And I probably drink about two pots a day, NOT that that has anything to do with my mental state.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I live in Seattle, where coffee is something of a religion.  We don't have any others.  

I would say first find out what kind of roast you like.  Totally a personal preference.  Try some French Roast to see the extreme end of roasting and maybe a breakfast blend, which tend towards medium.  Highly unlikely you will go for a light if you a regular coffee drinker. I would avoid flavored coffees at almost any cost.  They don't make flavored coffees with good coffee because they do not have to.

There is a longstanding fight over the optimal temperature to make coffee. There is the 192 camp and the 195 camp. Whether one or the other is right, you want a coffee maker that is close to  those  numbers.  And that might cost you a bit.  I have represented the company that makes Bonavita coffee makers, which you probably can get for less than $200.  To be honest,  it never made sense to me.  But a good coffee maker does.  Look for technical specs, not pretty pictures. 

I always likes the Ninja for no reason.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Brewer-Thermal-Carafe-CF086/dp/B0174FD5TQ/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B0174FD5TQ&linkCode=w61&imprToken=XiEsIVy2YENT7BuQMPZEBw&slotNum=15&tag=brownbeanzz-20

Coffee is dead 20 minutes after it is brewed according to Starbucks.  No idea if that is true or not. I drink mine until it is gone.

18-20 minutes the oils separate...

for normal good coffee...and after

it turns into starbucks....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@dirtmudd in seattle, Starbucks is just normal.  Part of everyday life.  Thehair coffee is generally good, and they have changed the overall  quality of coffee a lot from the days of Folgers.

that depends on who you talk too...

espresso or type of....depending

of your ethnic back ground...

or the community that you live in..

they don't consider American coffee..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Well, we have a Starbucks on almost every block, so it seems we are all in.  Not sure about American coffee.  The only coffee grown in the United States is in Hawaii, and Starbucks seems disinterested in it.  Personally, I am fan, but I get mine from Greenwell Farms.

American coffee it does not matter

where the bean is grown...but how it's brewed...

• Like 3

Just 'cause it is grown in Hawaii, doesn't make it good. Not all Kona is good. I was living there when Kauai turned to growing coffee. It wasn't that good. $4/lb ... at the same time, a good Kona coffee retailed for ~$25/lb. That coffee tasted like chocolate.

I agree wholeheartedly about Starbux.  I can't drink it straight.   It needs to be doctored to be palatable, to me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Well, we have a Starbucks on almost every block, so it seems we are all in.  Not sure about American coffee.  The only coffee grown in the United States is in Hawaii, and Starbucks seems disinterested in it.  Personally, I am fan, but I get mine from Greenwell Farms.

I think you should try Seattle's best...

• Like 2