Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I have to go along with getting rid of the sour cream. Use more mayo. And the yellow mustard suggestion. The brand of mayo will make a diff in taste, too.

Thank you, I'll follow all your suggestions, including giving yellow mustard a shot the next time and report back. 

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

...and what am I doing up at 3AM? ....

You gotta admit, my introducing deviled eggs into a Cables, coffee and cocktails thread ups the interest and makes it "must reading." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Never substitute Miracle Whip for real mayonnaise in a recipe.  It’s OK if you prefer it on a sandwich, but don’t use it when a recipe calls for mayo.

Years ago I brought a spinach dip to the office.  It was a hit.  A coworker later brought in a spinach dip made with Miracle Whip.  Even she agreed her dip was dreadful; too sweet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My ex-wife threatened to divorce me over sleepers pervading the room Steve.

It was sweet pickle  juice, and some like it with the relish. Me, I pretty much

like it all. Yes Duke's is hard to beat. Yes, Miracle is not a good standin for mayo.

Speakin' to ex, she made some really decent home made mayo. Of course, we

were veggie's at one point, where she made some real decent vittles.

Good morning coffee going down slow. Like me... lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dtel said:

have no idea how it should be done ?

Since I didn't know how, I usually boil them for 15 minutes, empty hot add cool water until it's mostly cool store in a bowl in ref. 

Speaking of age, yes it seems almost crazy. Remembering those Easter egg hunts as a kid, unrefrigerated boiled eggs, in some cases aboiled the night before, painted and then hidden, cannot recall anyone getting sick. Think it is stable to the point where snipers have had them in the field with them for a meal days on end.

After boiling at a temp that will not crack large eggs, for at the very least 15 minutes, mostly longer for real hard, I run cold water over them to the point cool to the touch and half or more covered in water, crack them on the bottom or each other some and let sit for a few minutes. Usually I get a good easy peel.

Just boiling a couple at the moment to eat with some grits. As for cholesterol, the body needs it to exist...:emotion-21::emotion-44:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

Speaking of age, yes it seems almost crazy. Remembering those Easter egg hunts as a kid, unrefrigerated boiled eggs, in some cases aboiled the night before, painted and then hidden, cannot recall anyone getting sick. Think it is stable to the point where snipers have had them in the field with them for a meal days on end.

After boiling at a temp that will not crack large eggs, for at the very least 15 minutes, mostly longer for real hard, I run cold water over them to the point cool to the touch and half or more covered in water, crack them on the bottom or each other some and let sit for a few minutes. Usually I get a good easy peel.

Just boiling a couple at the moment to eat with some grits. As for cholesterol, the body needs it to exist...:emotion-21::emotion-44:

boil with a 1/4 cup of salt and put them in a ice bath..

ice and water....= ice bath.....let cool

and you get a easy peel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Never substitute Miracle Whip for real mayonnaise in a recipe.  It’s OK if you prefer it on a sandwich, but don’t use it when a recipe calls for mayo.

"Real" mayonnaise?  I never even knew there was such a thing, as I am not a Mayo user either.  I don't use condiments, catsup, mustard, mayo. 

In your honor, I went to the fridge and checked, and this is what I have, apparently, with cage free whole eggs!  Who knew?

2f2cbb14-cc8f-49d5-afca-ecad974cbce6_2.2

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

A Southern staple, and rightfully so.

I think I saw that Duke's Mayo at Walmart.  I bought the Kraft because I wanted a brand name and I based my egg recipe on something from their website.

I'm nearly out of Mayo, I'll try this stuff next.  Thanks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

A Southern staple, and rightfully so.

Dukes.jpg

Ive heard great things for Dukes and found it here in the KC netherlands. Must be many import taxes as it crosses state lines from the SE to KC. Pretty pricey compared to the standard Mayo's. I may scrap and save for the additional  $3 Dukes entrance fee. A retired couple has to watch their budget doncha' know ? For now I'm resisting -- ?!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dtel said:

make you wonder how old the age of the ones in the store.

You don't have to wonder, there is a date code on the package, or should be.  Look for the numbered day of the year, today would be 029.  You can't always tell by the "best by" date because some places allow for 6 weeks and some 4.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

I leave the freshly boiled eggs in the water until I peel them and have no trouble. Otherwise they tend to be dry and are hard to peel.

Bruce

I agree,  The difference in my method is that I make an ice water bath, and put the finished eggs straight from the pot into the bath until nice and cold.

• Like 4