Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Never substitute Miracle Whip for real mayonnaise in a recipe.

Never cared for the stuff.

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

ice and water....= ice bath.....let cool

and you get a easy peel

It does not work if you get eggs from your own chickens, I tied everything found online, even the idea of adding a little vinegar in the water when boiling, always very hard to peel.

Cooked any other way they were much better, even a different color.

58 minutes ago, richieb said:

Ive heard great things for Dukes and found it here in the KC netherlands. Must be many import taxes as it crosses state lines from the SE to KC. Pretty pricey compared to the standard Mayo's.

This is the standard brand down here. They also make it using olive oil, never tried it yet.

41qGPsac55L._SX342_.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, babadono said:

15 minutes? Don't the yolks get over done?

They are hard, don't know how to tell if there over done. I only like eggs soft or liquid with fried eggs. I usually set a timer, 15 minutes after they start to boil seems to be about the minimum ? Then turn them off and let them sit a minute, empty water then run cold water in the pot until almost cool and refrigerate them. Just a habit, don't know if it's right or wrong ?

16 minutes ago, richieb said:

How about we sample mayos'  from various regions this May - Rodney's Great Mayo Shootout ? This alongside the numerous vodka and bourbon tastings. What an event this year will be - Klipsch and Mayo -  mmmm good. 

People think this is a strange group already, that should convince them. :lol:

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Some house brands are better than name brands.

True

• Like 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, ssh said:

Blue Plate is very good, but Duke's has a more complex flavor that I'm willing to spend a little more for.

SSH

It's been a long time since I tried it. I need to try it again, along with the olive oil mayo.

I love olive oil, It says half the calories and fat which is good, I have enough fat already.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

It's been a long time since I tried it. I need to try it again, along with the olive oil mayo.

I love olive oil, It says half the calories and fat which is good, I have enough fat already.

why bother with that crap..just

evoo works for me ! mayo sucks....

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

They are hard, don't know how to tell if there over done. I only like eggs soft or liquid with fried eggs. I usually set a timer, 15 minutes after they start to boil seems to be about the minimum ? Then turn them off and let them sit a minute, empty water then run cold water in the pot until almost cool and refrigerate them. Just a habit, don't know if it's right or wrong ?

I just turn off the heat when the water is boiling and I put them in.  It cooks them through and does not overcook them because the heat is lowering.

• Like 3

On the coffee thing, the water really does matter.  I went to college at the University of Kansas and my God, the water there is horrific. Everywhere I went in the midwest, it was uniformly awful.  Here in Seattle, the water comes from reservoirs of runoff from the cascade mountains.  Around about October, tap water turns ice cold because it is fresh snow runoff. And it is as good as real bottled water (not that tap water those most people sell, more like Evian).  Coffee here is so much better than what I made in Kansas. Now if I could get my consumption under 2 pots a day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

On the coffee thing, the water really does matter.  I went to college at the University of Kansas and my God, the water there is horrific. Everywhere I went in the midwest, it was uniformly awful.  Here in Seattle, the water comes from reservoirs of runoff from the cascade mountains.  Around about October, tap water turns ice cold because it is fresh snow runoff. And it is as good as real bottled water (not that tap water those most people sell, more like Evian).  Coffee here is so much better than what I made in Kansas. Now if I could get my consumption under 2 pots a day.

that's why ny pizza is good....

water from the Catskills....

to the aquaducts to NYC

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

that's why ny pizza is good....

water from the Catskills....

to the aquaducts to NYC

An RO filter is perfect for coffee and you never have to worry about build up.  I've tied mine into the refrigerators icemaker as well.  It's a huge improvement over tap water or water that's been through a refrigerators filter.

• Like 3

Why do egg yolks turn GREY when hard boiled?
It happens because the iron from the yolk reacts with hydrogen sulfide from the white when it's been overcooked. Totally harmless, but it doesn't have to happen. Here's how to avoid it: learn to boil an egg for the right amount of time, because this reaction only happens when a boiled egg is overcooked.Jan 14, 2015
image.png.e31194d67e9d67f0339d0ea343ac585e.png
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

There is no Costco where I'm from.  Is Chosen Foods a house brand?

Some house brands are better than name brands.

I think Chosen Foods is a semi local around these parts company that does products with Avocado oil. I don't know how far the reach of their products is nation wide in Costco stores.

• Like 4

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

evoo works for me ! mayo sucks....

I use it in place of mayo alot.

But if it sucks you might be using it wrong ? :o:lol:

25 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I just turn off the heat when the water is boiling and I put them in.  It cooks them through and does not overcook them because the heat is lowering.

Never tried that, was always afraid it wouldn't cook through will try it.

3 minutes ago, babadono said:
Why do egg yolks turn GREY when hard boiled?
It happens because the iron from the yolk reacts with hydrogen sulfide from the white when it's been overcooked. Totally harmless, but it doesn't have to happen. Here's how to avoid it: learn to boil an egg for the right amount of time, because this reaction only happens when a boiled egg is overcooked.Jan 14, 2015
image.png.e31194d67e9d67f0339d0ea343ac585e.png

Had no idea, you are just full of it, good ideas of course. :emotion-21: 

• Like 2

• Moderators

2 pages of mayo and boiling eggs, we are slowing covering everything. Why not :P

What's next, not now but when we have the mayo and egg thing covered ? :unsure2:

Anyway everybody knows mayo is just sandwich lube. :blink2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dtel said:

2 pages of mayo and boiling eggs, we are slowing covering everything. Why not :P

What's next, not now but when we have the mayo and egg thing covered ? :unsure2:

Anyway everybody knows mayo is just sandwich lube. :blink2:

I don't eat mayo ....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1