Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

was gonna suggest you save it for "company" ...

another crappy day in the desert SW... 80`. I should go out to the lake.. Not natural or very big. A pond by standards anywhere else. Some dandy LM bass in it. I have caught a couple 7lb+ while fishing for bluegill.

Being retired is nice. ... and I will be able to enjoy it when the wife retires from her 60hr/wk job ... next year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

was gonna suggest you save it for "company" ...

another crappy day in the desert SW... 80`. I should go out to the lake.. Not natural or very big. A pond by standards anywhere else. Some dandy LM bass in it. I have caught a couple 7lb+ while fishing for bluegill.

Being retired is nice. ... and I will be able to enjoy it when the wife retires from her 60hr/wk job ... next year.

a bad day fishing...is better than a good day working...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning :emotion-44: Eggs peeled just perfect yesterday AM. Guess I will go for some oatmeal.

Salt good for a lot of things, I guess. Like me some iodine for the ole thyroid...

Region and tradition come into the egg thing then, a takeaway for me...:emotion-21:

Go Duke...

• Like 3

Lol, yes it seems grandmothers knew their cooking. Grandpa was a regular oatmeal eater. Here lately, have been adding abit of maple or honey.

She cooked some backstrap venison when I was a kid staying with her when grandpa out hunting. The way she cooked it was unlike what I have had since.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

She cooked some backstrap venison when I was a kid staying with her when grandpa out hunting. The way she cooked it was unlike what I have had since.

Most of the old ways of cooking wild game are lost.  My mother prepared fried squirrel that was incredibly good.  Also, salt pork.  The salt pork was simple enough, but I don't think the salt pork you can get now is as good as what we had then as I tried it a few years back and it didn't taste at all like mom's.  Of course, it may be just that mom didn't cook it... (sniff).

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Most of the old ways of cooking wild game are lost.  My mother prepared fried squirrel that was incredibly good.  Also, salt pork.  The salt pork was simple enough, but I don't think the salt pork you can get now is as good as what we had then as I tried it a few years back and it didn't taste at all like mom's.  Of course, it may be just that mom didn't cook it... (sniff).

Dave

Howdy Dave!  Think you hit on it pretty well. Just had my oatmeal but, the mention of salt pork, well, I will be eating soon enough again...:emotion-21:

• Like 3

Billybob, got me to thinking also...my grandmother used to get government surplus food.  One of the items was raw steel cut oatmeal.  Here again I keep it and cook it regularly, but it simply neither smells nor tastes like that grandma used to cook.  

Dave

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Dave

different times yes...when a butcher

was a butcher....from local grown foods...and now whe have 

pre processed meat....

now they call it farm to table...

• Like 2

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

different times yes...when a butcher

was a butcher....from local grown foods...and now whe have 

pre processed meat....

now they call it farm to table...

True, I remember when I was a kid there were very few big grocery stores, most people went to a local corner neighborhood store with a real butcher. If you wanted a chicken or a duck you walked outside with the butcher, there were wooden cages with live ducks and chickens and you would pick one out. :o:lol: He would bring it in a clean it for you, today there would probably be people outside protesting. This alone would make me buy an extra chicken. :emotion-21:

38 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

save the bacon fat....or get a can of lard...saw some in the store last week...

It's also great for seasoning cast iron pans. After cleaning put a light film of bacon grease and reheat to bake it on, works great and more nonstick than any other pan. Takes an extra couple of minutes but you save that when it's time to clean next time.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, dtel said:

True, I remember when I was a kid there were very few big grocery stores, most people went to a local corner neighborhood store with a real butcher. If you wanted a chicken or a duck you walked outside with the butcher, there were wooden cages with live ducks and chickens and you would pick one out. :o:lol: He would bring it in a clean it for you, today there would probably be people outside protesting. This alone would make me buy an extra chicken. :emotion-21:

It's also great for seasoning cast iron pans. After cleaning put a light film of bacon grease and reheat to bake it on, works great and more nonstick than any other pan. Takes an extra couple of minutes but you save that when it's time to clean next time.

bake at the lowest temp....for a few

hours....or over night..

• Like 3

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

bake at the lowest temp....for a few

hours....or over night..

Have done that also, in between I somewhat do it by heating to dry after washing with no soap, then wiping with bacon fat. I have done all of this so much nothing sticks to the metal anymore. The more I use and season the better they get and are easier to clean. I cook everything I can with them they are so easy.

My brother in law gave me one of those metal mesh things to scrub cast iron, it rarely get's used they clean so easy.

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Happy Birthday Chuck @Tarheel

I hope the weather cooperated and you're out with you LF and cruising in the bubble, going to the beach :D

It's Chuck's birthday, I didn't know or remember if we talked about it. :huh:

Well Happy Birthday Chuck, do something fun today or just relax, whatever makes you happy. :emotion-19::emotion-51:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1