Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

8 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

First off Elden ... i hope Christy gets a good report from the doctor. Never met her; but, she seems like she has a heart of gold.

Never had a serious issue with weight ... i think the heaviest i’ve ever been has been 234 ... after i got divorced, i made it down to 173; but, when my brother moved in I’ve slowly started gaining again.  Five years later, I’m at 209; but, once i learn some portion control and maybe cut back on the cheese & bread, I should be able to get back to 200 easily.  I’m cool with being 200, although i saw a stomach guy after my accident and he said that my max weight is 185. I never thought i could get to that; but, made it to 173 -- although family members thought i had cancer or something. My brother told me that i had lost too much weight. I didn’t feel any different (i thought); but, when i put some of that weight back on, i sure felt worse. 

Yes.  Get well, Christy!

Stew, our stories are almost identical.  My max was somewhere close to 220.  Ideal weight is about 185.  I am there, now, but I did go down to 167, and I was told I lost too much weight.  I have gone back up to 195, but I dropped easily back to 185 and have maintained in that area.  I ran around hungry for a few months to drop that chunk of weight, and after that, that was it.  Now, I only have to chill back for a week or 2 if I see myself headed back up.  It's easy as pie to eat lightly for a week or 2.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, dtel said:

Odd people attract the same, what can we say ? :wacko: You just fit in, kind of scary I know.

You two are not even close, Vasubandu is all over the place some times, it's hard to even keep up, no telling which direction he is going next. I tried to keep up but I gave up, it's like trying to catch a hyperactive youngster who had a bunch of coffee, almost impossible. He means well but I'm to old for that much excitement and bouncing around.

He is like the Roadrunner and this is me, retired.....

hammmock90.gif

Hey first of all, I do have ADHD.  Not diagnosed until I was 50 when my kid was diagnosed, but still. The drugs help, just can't get enough of them.  So actually I am very toned down these days.

And don't confuse going in a whole bunch of directions at the same time with being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

the craving for fast food has gone away completely and i’m really enjoying the exercise -- to the point that i’m bothered if i miss a day for some reason. my biggest obstacle now is that i only eat dinner and my portion size is way too big. i don’t eat sugar or caffeine; but, having trouble cutting back on cheese (other than ketchup, cheese is my biggest weakness). 

While i haven’t lost a lot of weight, my pants are getting looser. actually bought some new Levi’s that are two sizes smaller in the waist. 

in this horribly cold weather, i’ve been on the treadmill and elliptical; but, i’d prefer to be hitting the street instead. 

right now, some progress is better than no progress.

My doctor has been harassing me to get healthy now that I am 50. Dang, he has been y doctor for 25 years.  He told me that the defining difference between the 80 year olds he sees who are spry and alert, and those who are frail and sick  is whether they walk.  He said give him 2 miles a day, and I won't get old the American way.  So I make it 6, and I don't care if it is raining or freezing as it has been of late.  We had snow in Seattle today, which is rare.

He told me to change my diet too, and he said that the key was to still make great tasting food.  He said that no one is going to stick with a cardboard diet, and food that is good for you can taste good.  And so now I am making dinner instead of ordering it (my wife does not like to cook, and her food shows it).

It sounds like you are on a great program.  Keep it up, except for the coffee part.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dtel said:

Than You, it was a better report from the cardiologist than expected. He said the fluid on the heart/lungs is slightly better and he now feels the breathing problems are more from serious allergies combined with the fluid. So she stays on medicine for the fluid and now something for allergies. It could have been much worse, check back in 3  months or if it gets worse. :emotion-21: This has been going on for almost 2 years, with the breathing problems the gym and zumba had to stop, this added weight which made the problem worse, it is not fun getting old. The breathing was so bad a trip to the grocery would wear her out.

Great news.

6 hours ago, dtel said:

That was the exactly the weight I was after I lost 50 pounds, now about 265-70 and it feels like it, time to change. I'm 6'3", you looked tall in the pics that's why I thought didn't have a weight problem.

I have big bones, problem is so is the stomach. :(

Sounds familiar....I'm in pretty good shape, for the shape I'm in :D

• Like 2

Good morning all -

At 6’ 1” 210, I’d like to get below 200 and stay there, but I’d also like to be younger than 69, and that ain’t happenin’.  I remember when that number meant something other than my age.

My internist is a great guy, even though he is a diehard Wolverine.  None of that wham bam thank you mam rush job.  I usually have to say, “This is fun shooting the breeze with you doc, but I gotta be places.”

The best part is that he’s not in a position to scold me.  He’s younger than I am — but so is just about everyone — but he’s overweight, has an implanted defibrillator, and he doesn’t get regular exercise since he collided with a pizza delivery driver’s car while riding his bike.

A few weeks ago I got rejected by the Red Cross at a double reds donation appointment.  I’ve donated my O+ hundreds of times without a problem.  Apparently, when the young nurse took my pulse she detected more than 6 irregularities in a minute, so I flunked.  I tried to convince her my pulse does that when an attractive woman squeezes my wrist.  She wasn’t buying it.

Long story slightly shortened, a 24 hour Holter monitor and bicycle stress test confirmed all is OK cardio-wise.  Since my father dropped dead at 64 from a heart attack — not his first — at 69, I feel like I’m playing with house money.

The day will be spent rehabbing the 1929 duplex purchased as an investment to rent to my adult sons.  This will either be a genius move or a family fiasco.  I’d hate to have to evict my sons for non-payment of rent.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, vasubandu said:

My doctor has been harassing me to get healthy now that I am 50.

My previous doctor gave the same speech when I was about 40.  I was a 2/3's pack a day smoker, my cholesterol and blood pressure was a little high.   I didn't listen back then, but now that I finally quit smoking, improved diet and majorly improved exercise, all those early-stage signs reversed.  I am 50 and as cardio goes, I am as healthy as I was at 20.  No meds.  50 is 50, though.  

The doctors aren't blowing smoke when they give people the lecture.  They know.  It's just a matter of taking health seriously.  I spent a lot of time in nursing homes as my mom aged, and that experience really changed my attitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Diz,

that sounds like a large scale of what we are doing. 

Bought a place built early/mid 60's. Material came from a recycled railroad station. Pull wiring throughout., Insulate. When we pulled the wall coverings for electric --- surprise!  None is better than asbestos, sorta. Found redwood under 1/4 paneling

I agree, to a point, Jeff.  There is a certain amt of genetic luck, too. My BIL was always the most health aware member of my family. Eating organic. Exercising, non-smoker/drinker. Outdoors type. a Dr.   Passed of pancreatic at 52

a low stress lifestyle is very important, I believe. Enjoy what you do. and yes, do exercise. I used to row a boat for several hours, once a week on top of having a job that did involve a certain amt physical activity. My day at the bowling alley started with a half mile walk on the [oily] lanes.  Running "stops" on the machines meant climbing up and down. Not a sedentary job. Mental, too. We had to do a lot of troubleshooting.

• Like 3

Good Morning!  On cup #2 DD coffee and getting ready for work watching the rain continue to come down.  I'll have to pump more water off the pool so it doesn't overflow.  Still hard to grasp what many of you went through last year with the flooding in Texas and other areas, but I'm ready for some freaking sunshine. Can't wait for vacation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

There is a certain amt of genetic luck, too. My BIL was always the most health aware member of my family. Eating organic. Exercising, non-smoker/drinker. Outdoors type. a Dr.   Passed of pancreatic at 52

For sure.  There are no guarantees, but even though things like that happen, I can't imagine it being conventional medical wisdom not to eat healthy, to take up smoking and drinking and to give up exercise.  I agree there are other factors, though.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

biggest problem with eating healthy is the scientific community keeps changing their bloody mind on what is good. Butter, eggs, coffee, alcohol ....  Moderation is key.

Yeah, the science of "diet" is not too well-understood.  When I talk about "diet," I am really emphasizing a diet which keeps weight to a good range to avoid the known problems that are associated with obesity.  That's not to say everyone who is overweight is unhealthy.  That would go too far.  However, it does seem to be pretty much the consensus that obesity is a contributing factor to COPD and respiratory illness.  TBH, I think rigorous exercise is more important than diet for maintenance.  I realize people are wired differently and that YMMV.  For me, I could drop dead in the middle of basketball today.  Let's just hope not!  :huh:

P.S.  I guess I could sum it up by just saying I am listening to conventional medical wisdom and preparing to live long.  I hope it works.

• Like 3

the males [on both side] in my family had heart problems...  I may defy convention. I still have a full head of hair 30 year later than most of them lost theirs.

I have to show my wife what I did. Especially if it is outside. She sees me sitting, drinking coffee and gives me one of those looks...

5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

the defining difference between the 80 year olds he sees who are spry and alert, and those who are frail and sick  is whether they walk. 

When my Dad was in the hospital around 2 years ago I was waiting for him to return to his room when a nurse came in. We talked about his condition for a few minutes. She told me about a 27 year old marathon runner that had dropped dead that morning just down the hall. She sad you can't beat the genes.

My Dad's mother lived to within a few days of 100 years. She was a farmers wife. If they didn't raise it or grow it they didn't eat. My Dad passed away a few months ago at the age of 86. Dementia/Alzheimer's. My MIL will be 91 in a few months. She's dying now from cancer.

Before I retired I worked with a large group (hundreds) of males. One female, and she had large perky breasts ( she has nothing to do with this post, I just wanted to point that out, statistically). Two of these guys died at 37, one at 47 and several others at various 'young' ages. From different causes. I remember the company, in their quest to reduce Union employees, released a study that told them that 7 % would die early and that was part of the study, 7 % attrition thru 'death'. The study was pretty much spot on.

I worked a physical job since I was 24. My normal weight was around 172. Right now 175. I ate the protein and worked it off. I've never been fat, obese or overweight. I got plenty of exercise and loved to work. I loved a good challenge. Like Jeff said, if I put on a few extra pounds I just slowed down on the eating and the weight dropped off. Right now I wear jeans that I wore 20 years ago.

The small things that we do over our lifetimes add up in the end. The bad things accumulate and surface later in life. Our environment, the things we eat, activity and even our DNA determine longevity. Since I can't work much now I continue to have sex regularly. It doesn't really help my condition but it sure is fun. For mental fun I try to help others financially that deserve the help.

I hope you all live nice long lives but don't ever think you're going to get out of here alive. As Forrest said, chit happens.

Keith

• Like 4
  • Sad 1