Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

their called industrials....you have

a cast basket ev woofer....

Thanks Mike,

I suspected as much.  They sound great right out of the dish packs on the "costs less than lunch" chip amp.  When I re-cap the networks, apply Duratex, and do some other repairs, they'll be excellent.

This pair will go to my younger son who will be the upstairs tenant, if he pays the rent. Since my older son, the downstairs tenant, already has a pair, it seemed only fair that #2 also have a pair to defend himself against #1 in this version of the loudness wars.

FWIW, the plan is that one, or both, of my sons will eventually buy the place.

You can see the old Dondero High School and Glenn Frey Drive from the kitchen windows.  When my older son was changing the faucet in the pedestal sink, he found a Dondero hall pass.  Unfortunately, it wasn't signed by Glenn Frey.  The duplex is just north of Dondero.

GF_drive.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

me too!  I was playing earlier today and realized that i want a dreadnaught.  This body is small ... the Tasmanian Blackwood is nice to look at and has a pretty good sustain; but, it can be a bit bright. 

It's not broken in yet....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Mike,

What are we looking at in this photo?  It appears the speaker opens from the side, rather than the back.  Is that correct?

yes it's my heresy hi-sm's...slant monitors....

it seems your heresy's had the recessed connector removed...

and assess door changed.... 

but this is a old pic...with aa-h network..

I would take the assess panel off

to show the aa-h network....

currently using them now !

• Like 1

As you said, mine don’t have a recessed terminal cup on the access panel.  They have barrier strips.  I’m not certain they ever had terminal cups.  IME, it’s dangerous to speak in absolutes regarding vintage Heritage specifications.  Things seemed to be rather fluid in those days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Having that at your age is better than when a kid, you will slow down as you get older, somewhat. 

I never thought going in many directions was from being slow, or dumb, it seemed to be more of what you said ADHD or similar. Kind of bouncing off the walls with ideas and different directions can at times be hard to deal with as far a figuring out what you really want to do. 

I kind of somewhat do the same thing, I can easily get the general idea of what I want, then the problem starts.

Out in the garden tiki bar I am changing what was a simple sink to wash glasses or whatever in to the same but with a good size counter top for extra space for parties. Simple right, not really, I have moved the sink around to 5 different positions looking at different ideas to build. When I decide on something I think it to death so I don't finish thinking "i wish i would have done it like this". I do this with everything, I can't help it, it drives my wife crazy.

The interesting thing is how far the science has progressed.  Oddly your comment that getting older will resolve the issues seems not to be the case.  There are some warring camps about what ADHD is, but we do know that amphetamines will treat it.  Amphetamines have their effect both as speed and for ADHD because they are a powerful dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. What that means is that they increase the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine  in the brain by preventing them from being reabsorbed. Other neurotransmitters are involved as well but seem less important. In other words, ADHD is caused by having too many dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake neurotransmitters.  Seen this way, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, and the only way to stop it is with chemicals. That said, a successful approach requires more than drugs, but it does require drugs.

Compounding the problems is the fact that everyone performs better on amphetamines. So figuring out who needs meds can get political. In my own life, I know the the meds solve problems not make me superman.  The same is true of my son, whose diagnosis led to my own.  ADHD is still a horribly undertreated disorder for lots of reasons, but I encourage everyone to see it as a chemical imbalance and to seek an evaluation if they have questions.  If I had been diagnosed as a kid, my life would have been very different.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

The interesting thing is how far the science has progressed.  Oddly your comment that getting older will resolve the issues seems not to be the case.  There are some warring camps about what ADHD is, but we do know that amphetamines will treat it.  Amphetamines have their effect both as speed and for ADHD because they are a powerful dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. What that means is that they increase the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine  in the brain by preventing them from being reabsorbed. Other neurotransmitters are involved as well but seem less important. In other words, ADHD is caused by having too many dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake neurotransmitters.  Seen this way, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, and the only way to stop it is with chemicals. That said, a successful approach requires more than drugs, but it does require drugs.

Compounding the problems is the fact that everyone performs better on amphetamines. So figuring out who needs meds can get political. In my own life, I know the the meds solve problems not make me superman.  The same is true of my son, whose diagnosis led to my own.  ADHD is still a horribly undertreated disorder for lots of reasons, but I encourage everyone to see it as a chemical imbalance and to seek an evaluation if they have questions.  If I had been diagnosed as a kid, my life would have been very different.

Well I didn't really explain what I was thinking, being older maby helps with some of the symptoms, with kids it's alot different. They are just thought of as bad kids, or much worse and usually misdiagnosed and mistreated.

I know much of the rest of what you said, just not the chemical part of what the medicine does. My wife has ADHD and takes nothing for it now. But at one time she was prescribed Addarol, it did great. I talked with the doctor also trying to find out if there was anything else she could take after finding out about it. He told me once, take one of her pills and see what it does you, I never did but he explained what it would do to me compared to what it did to her. Quite a shocking difference, if you have ADHD Addarol works great after you are on it a few days, if your not ADHD, hold on your going to be speeding through the day.

The big problem with her being on the medicine was more with the doctor/office, he was 45 minutes away and when you called in for a refill when you should, the office people would always take almost a week to have the prescription ready to pick up.  So this caused her to go off the medicine for days which was not a big deal. What was a big deal was when she would start taking it again after a few days off she could not sleep much the first day and it would take her days to get back to normal, this got very hard to do every month. She talked to them about this and it never was really fixed, the doctor ended moving his practice to another state.

She tried to find another doctor and it was not good, most of the time they thought she just wanted the medicine, they acted like you are a drug dealer. She finally gave up, there does not seem to be many doctors who really understand ADHD, or if they do, they do not like giving medicine that works to fix it.  We even asked if there was something that could work without being a scheduled drug that makes you feel like a criminal the way they question and look at you to even get a prescription filled at a drug store. They need another drug to fix this without it being addictive which was my biggest worry, and sought after by people who do not need it. The last drug I would want to take would be speed, I tried it about 40 years ago ONCE, never again.

ADHD is bad for adults but really bad for kids, if not treated it will probably change there life and most of the time not for the good.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, dtel said:

At 60 not really worried either, if what I have done so far hasn't killed me I'll take a chance,  never thought I would get this old. I probably shouldn't say this but i think I am ahead already considering everything.

But I am still not eating one of Carl's peppers !

@cecaa850 Send me some, I will eat at least one and post the video. I aint scared

Mark

• Moderators

Go for it dude, I watched some videos of people eating one of those, not me it looks painful and had a few people acting like they were going to die. :o And people were eating a whole pepper to win $20, if I ever need the money that bad I will pick up cans on the side of the road first. :huh:I like hot, but that's way past hot,  might go watch some of those videos right now, there pretty funny sometimes.

• Like 1

Cable work yesterday afternoon before cocktails....well one during as 12 banana plug install is pretty boring.

IMG_20180225_071741.thumb.jpg.48f6b2ce334206cfa41c245dc2b9ea80.jpg

IMG_20180225_071841.jpg.6175fb697925fbdecaec5fc7091db133.jpg

Coffee this morning to test things out. Just opened this MM 45 Blue note LP and it is a good one. Art never disappoints.

IMG_20180225_071505.jpg.9035746059c727d0f4c926c43f8cc5bb.jpg

IMG_20180225_071415.thumb.jpg.3d21144e663b47e60c14bd2dce388e35.jpg

• Like 8

it's a sunny and ... well, sunny day. Weather is still Murphy dictated.  Below normal temp.

got nothin' near as exciting as running wires today.

Wife is sleeping and not feeling well.  Spose I will be next. She blames it one her kids, at school. I tend toward a combination of exposure and the stress of the hours she puts in...

• Like 3