Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

40 minutes ago, billybob said:

Dang, Orange Blossom or Tupelo guess are local around about(Yes) here.

How one keeps bees out of poisonous plants, have never dreamed of.

Ignorant yet guess Desert Flowers in Arizona. ?! Lol

I dinna do beekeeping in your area... I imagine it works the same there. You learn what is in bloom and are able to see the difference in nectars when they load it into the combs. We have mesquite and catclaw honey where I am. They are easy to tell apart. Catclaw is water white. Mesquite is more yellow.

rambling along ... gimme long enough and might get to the point, if I remember

I imagine the beekeepers cull those combs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Used to be an apiculturist ... beekeeper

I understand why you "used" to be.  My friend's neighbor keeps bees.  Bees are a PITA.  Maybe the beekeeper and people who live far away think it's cool, but for the neighbors who have to put up with it, bees are a real nuisance.  They get worked-up and go around stinging back yard pets and driving them crazy.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I got out just when the Africanized bees started getting established here. I worry my okole [see if that doesn't get starred] off all spring/summer when I see swarms going by.

We have a lot of wild hives around and I have a lot of old junk wood sheds.

I had some hot as Italian [the standard yellow/black] that you HAD to suit up for. And some others that you could work wearing a T shirt and veil. 

the swarms don't present a problem, even though I am allergic.  Give them time to set up and have something to defend. Then it can get nasty.

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

that maple resembles a false arailea [?] 

it's either rhododendrons or azaleas that make poisonous honey.

another of my backwoods hobbies. Used to be an apiculturist ... beekeeper

I had 20 colonies [hives]

It does resemble a false arailea, the big difference besides price is the Maple can take freezes. I like false arailia's I had a few over the hears as houseplants.

Well it looks like that kind of J maple, there are over 300 variety's of J maples.

I have no idea which one is poisonous but I would guess the Rhododendron. Only because they do not grow here and I have never heard of that. Actually the Azalea's were made from the Rhododendron, they are in the same family. It may have been bred out when they designed the Azalea ?

Our daughter started doing bees about a year ago, all I know about it is she gave me a quart of honey, I don't even know if they still do it ?

• Like 2

a few of us are being blessed with nice weather.  85` today

@dtel

I'm pretty sure it's rhododendrons that make the poisonous honey.  Keeping a couple of hives is a good hobby level.  Sorta like having an aquarium that gives food.

FWIW

African bees were released in LA back in the late 50's.  Mean bees are not a new thing.  Blame it on SteveTabor

• Like 2

Good morning,

Bees are fascinating and necessary to our survival.  It remains to be seen whether professional bee colony providers can effectively move the vast numbers of bees needed to pollinate the industrial single crop farms of such things as almonds.

• Like 3

One of our local beekeeper does some migratory pollination services,,,  almonds in CA.

given a choice, the bees won't work almonds.  They have to place the colonies deep inside the orchards to force them to take what is presented.

If you want to look for a cause in the decline of honeybees, start with Monsanto's GMO's,  and their corn that makes Bt in its pollen.

• Like 2

Ironically

Our method/s of harvesting honey [over 5000 years] contributed to the African bees being "defensive".

Before movable frame hives, harvesting meant destroying the whole colony.  The colonies that were less defensive got taken first.  Darwin in action

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Ironically

Our method/s of harvesting honey [over 5000 years] contributed to the African bees being "defensive".

Before movable frame hives, harvesting meant destroying the whole colony.  The colonies that were less defensive got taken first.  Darwin in action

Interesting.  There's a similar theory about wolves evolving into dogs.  I've queued the documentary below to the theory: namely, that when people began living in villages, wolves were attracted to the garbage dumps.  The wolves with the least flight tendency ate the best.  Ultimately, the tamer they became, the better they ate in relation to other wild species.

• Like 3

I took a "sick day" yesterday. Slept the whole day. Wasn't up to snuff.  Better. Time to open the doors and windows. Let the house warm up. Just had to say that. I know some of you are still enjoying winter.:P

I didn't even have a fire last night.  Have to go to the kitchen to get coffee.

Back to work today. Laundry.   Wife is doing grade cards ... she is "unavailable". They're due tomorrow. She will be off next week. Spring break. She needs the rest.  I question her wanting to work "one more year"...  She getting frazzled. Mostly the BS paperwork for the govt. I promise to not go off on a rant....  Promise!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

good that they didn't find anything...

Hope it was just for an inspection and not because of symptoms

I had a heart plaque scan and it was REALLY high plus a strong family history of heart issues.  Doc wanted to actually see if there were any blockages. Luckily the plaque build up was on the outside of the veins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You had snow in Indy?  

I seen the forecast for Indy a couple of days ago, the first thing I thought was , wow that sucks. :huh: It was ice, snow, snow couple of cold days then snow again. Things could be worse it could be like the East coast.

This is more like it :P Just type in your zip code

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=30.5257529000001&lon=-89.67892289999998#.WrKfMpdOlPZ

• Like 1