Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Don't try and weasel in on my slacker generation you old, selfish, planet raping, dope smoking hippies who later turned into Gordon Gekko 80's douchebags. '54, '61?!?! - no way. You can't convince me otherwise that 1964 belongs to you and 1965 and beyond belong to me.

You get Marty's @thebes Beetles. I get the Ramones.:P

The Harvard Center uses 1965 to 1984 to define Gen X so that Boomers, Xers, and Millennials cover equal 20-year age spans

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rplace said:

The Harvard Center uses 1965 to 1984 to define Gen X so that Boomers, Xers, and Millennials cover equal 20-year age spans

How nice and arbitrary.  An OGenXer doesn't think that way.

Thebes is a special case with his antipathy for the beatles, showing that it is possible to rise above the muck one may find yourself in.

1 hour ago, rplace said:

Don't try and weasel in on my slacker generation you old, selfish, planet raping, dope smoking hippies who later turned into Gordon Gekko 80's douchebags. '54, '61?!?! - no way. You can't convince me otherwise that 1964 belongs to you and 1965 and beyond belong to me.

You get Marty's @thebes Beetles. I get the Ramones.:P

Kind of amusing how each generation or half-generation is now pigeon-holed into an arbitrary category decided by self appointed generational experts. I care less as to what your age group is classified - a douchebag is a douchebag is a douchebag supersedes any and all generation placeholders -- ?! And you can spot 'em a mile away --- 

• Like 4

lifestyle philosophy changes.. shows in political swings.  Sometimes inversely.

I was just gonna say

My wife was OK with me "gaming" last night. I did make a nice dinner. T-bone, baked potato and a cucumber/onion salad.   And she brought home Mexican. The Mexican got put in the fridge.

happens quite a bit. we get to feeling sorry for the other and try to "treat" ... at the same instant.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, richieb said:

Kind of amusing how each generation or half-generation is now pigeon-holed into an arbitrary category decided by self appointed generational experts. I care less as to what your age group is classified - a douchebag is a douchebag is a douchebag supersedes any and all generation placeholders -- ?! And you can spot 'em a mile away --- 

Well said, but surely you realize my Poop and douchebag comments were made in jest, no? Maybe not the planet raping so much.

I really don't care for categorizations or arbitrary cut off points either. That said if you are going to have a conversation there has to be some generally accepted frame of reference. Mid to late 60s through early/mid 80s is pretty well accepted for GenX, surely not 1954. 1965 might be splitting hairs to a person born in 1963 and well versed in the vast world around you. While a home schooled, narrow minded person that never left the surrounding 10 mile radius of their house born in 1968 might be more like Beaver Cleaver than Johnny Quest.

Yea, yea, yea all that "age is just a number" or "you are as young as you feel", is crap. Is just spewed by middle age people clinging to youth with Botox, implants or what have you. I'm old, aching and not taking any crap from people anymore. I own my age proudly. I'd rather be 52 today than 22 all over again. But if I could freeze time I'd probably stay in the 39-42 range forever. Decent amount of smarts, money, history behind you and future in front of you. Still a body that did not betray you.

My bigger beef is; that pop-culture, Madison Ave and the like, all swoon over the boomers and lust for the attention of the Millennials no matter where you draw the line to define who they actually are. What about the guys/gals in the middle?

Rant off, ending on a positive note. I think no matter the DoB on your drivers license if you are logged on to the Klipsch forum you have to admit the Greatest Generation, was. And all the rest of us are sissified, whining, entitled ingrates by comparison....Cuz the boomers ruined it for the rest of us by raising D!cks for kids....sorry couldn't resist. Now my rant is off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

lifestyle philosophy changes.. shows in political swings.  Sometimes inversely.

I was just gonna say

My wife was OK with me "gaming" last night. I did make a nice dinner. T-bone, baked potato and a cucumber/onion salad.   And she brought home Mexican. The Mexican got put in the fridge.

happens quite a bit. we get to feeling sorry for the other and try to "treat" ... at the same instant.

Communication is key:) I's born in '55 also BTW so I'm not a BB? For 63 years I've been told I was....Hmmmmmm

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rplace said:

Mid to late 60s through early/mid 80s is pretty well accepted for GenX, surely not 1954

You're missing the distinction between genX and OGenX .  But what is more to the point is which one is identified with, especially for those on or near the cusp of these arbitrary cut-offs.

58 minutes ago, rplace said:

I think no matter the DoB on your drivers license if you are logged on to the Klipsch forum you have to admit the Greatest Generation, was. And all the rest of us are sissified, whining, entitled ingrates by comparison....Cuz the boomers ruined it for the rest of us by raising D!cks for kids....sorry couldn't resist. Now my rant is off. 

Um, it was the so-called greatest generation that raised the boomers---enough said.  The boomers then compounded the error.

38 minutes ago, babadono said:

Communication is key:) I's born in '55 also BTW so I'm not a BB? For 63 years I've been told I was....Hmmmmmm

It's up to you.  Do you identify less with boomers and more with OGenX?  or the other way around?

One of the things that defined the boomers, for example, was the Vietnam war.  Some protested, others served.  Still others avoided with bogus medical issues.  You, for example, were barely old enough to face the draft, correct?

The last draft call was on December 7, 1972, and the authority to induct expired on June 30, 1973. The date of the last drawing for the lottery was on March 12, 1975. Registration with the Selective Service System was suspended on April 1, 1975, and registrant processing was suspended on January 27, 1976

Blackhawk overhead...

gonna do what I do

random change up

got a crinkled smile from the wife last night when I proclaimed, "Eating onions cures bad breath!"

nobody accused me of not trying to have a little fun. it good for ya

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

It's up to you.  Do you identify less with boomers and more with OGenX?  or the other way around?

One of the things that defined the boomers, for example, was the Vietnam war.  Some protested, others served.  Still others avoided with bogus medical issues.  You, for example, were barely old enough to face the draft, correct?

The last draft call was on December 7, 1972, and the authority to induct expired on June 30, 1973. The date of the last drawing for the lottery was on March 12, 1975. Registration with the Selective Service System was suspended on April 1, 1975, and registrant processing was suspended on January 27, 1976

Missed going to Canada by that much. Fight Hitler yea, Ho Chi Minh naw.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I never knew I was a baby boomer until I saw a commercial that said you are a boomer if you were born between 1945 and 1965.....I thought boomers were all old folks ^_^

You have that wrong, that was a AARP commercial you were watching old timer . :o:D

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

I was born, hatched, sprouted in '55

too young to be a hippy and too old to be a yuppy ... a tweener

Wow you are really old...:mellow:......I can say they because your 2 years older than me. :P

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thebes is a special case

There is no question about that, and he keeps proving it, but he does live around Washington DC so some of it can be excused because craziness is contagious in that area. Strangely enough it's so contagious it even carried over to the other Washington, Seattle area and spreading into California, or did it start there ?

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

You've never seen mail until you approach 65

And it gets worse after you hit 65 :(:) 

OK; I'll share a story with the "oldtimers" here. Went up on the roof today to remove some debris.  Jeez; scary ... moved around inch by inch on my behind. But note ... put in seven 4x4ft skylights in my roof about 10-15 years ago ... no problem ... walked (upright) everywhere.  Jeez ... not anymore :( 

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1