Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

6 hours ago, Emile said:

And it gets worse after you hit 65 :(:) 

OK; I'll share a story with the "oldtimers" here. Went up on the roof today to remove some debris.  Jeez; scary ... moved around inch by inch on my behind. But note ... put in seven 4x4ft skylights in my roof about 10-15 years ago ... no problem ... walked (upright) everywhere.  Jeez ... not anymore :( 

Cheers, Emile

I used to be able to walk erect for more than four hours without the need for a physician; no longer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You been peeking in my mailbox? 

My wife is 10 years younger, she laughs when I get the AARP mail.

10 years younger:emotion-21:

I really thought you were young that's why I said that, but if your getting AARP mail I was wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I used to be able to walk erect for more than four hours without the need for a physician; no longer.

that's one I can relate to, in spades. 

I had things [at the bowling alley] I could do scooting around on my butt, on the floor. Just don't make me have to get up and move suddenly.  "Sudden" takes a while, now.

When I wear my sarong, I feel like I should "accessorize".   A big cane knife or an AK. I only wear the sarong around "town". We have folks in leather breech clouts. It's pretty modest.

But I do have my "Sunday Go To Meetin" bib overalls. 

I can blend in pretty well. You won't know I'm crazy until you talk to me.

• Haha 2

Good to see my bud Keith McGowan post last night.  He use to go by screen name Spongeworthy and he and Don (bluesboy) are the only two forum members I have met in person.  Keith posted asking for recommendations for a turn table.  I have been in an audio lull for a while after having a slight hearing loss in one ear but am now motivated to spin a disc or two. 

I have always enjoyed threads about TTs and R2Rs.  I guess they require more user interaction with the music.

Now if bluesboy would drop us a line..........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I spent a bunch of time on three roof yesterday.  Several weeks ago I cut the cable and went to an antenna.  I bought a chimney mount kit and installed a Clearstream antenna that I bought years sgo.  The signal goes into the attic to an amplifier and then to 4 separate drops in the house.  I was having issues with pixelization and weak signal.   Yesterday I switched to a Yagi antenna with a pre amp at the antenna.  I took the amplifier out of the attic and put a 4 way splitter in its place.  Problem solved.  More stations and now no loss of signal.  Picture is amazing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wife found a car she thinks she wants. 

a 2002 Toyota Corolla.  $2000.

a friend's mother's car.  We don't need fancy. If it's in good shape, might be worth putting a little money in.  I figure, at least, $1000 to fix a "used" car, after you buy it.

I missed a beauty.  It was an older [2000ish] Buick. V6 EFI, leather, garaged, 70,000miles. $4500

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dtel said:

10 years younger:emotion-21:

I really thought you were young that's why I said that, but if your getting AARP mail I was wrong.

I started getting those offers at 50, it's been a couple years now. 

1 minute ago, WillyBob said:

Wife found a car she thinks she wants. 

a 2002 Toyota Corolla.  $2000.

a friend's mother's car.  We don't need fancy. If it's in good shape, might be worth putting a little money in.  I figure, at least, $1000 to fix a "used" car, after you buy it.

Buying a car in that price range, a Toyota or a Honda is hard to beat.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Good to see my bud Keith McGowan post last night.  He use to go by screen name Spongeworthy and he and Don (bluesboy) are the only two forum members I have met in person.  Keith posted asking for recommendations for a turn table.  I have been in an audio lull for a while after having a slight hearing loss in one ear but am now motivated to spin a disc or two. 

I have always enjoyed threads about TTs and R2Rs.  I guess they require more user interaction with the music.

I remember spongeowrthy, that name always cracked me up. I could not figure out what you meant yesterday. I kept rereading the posts looking for his name. Saw some later messages today and it all made sense. Sorry to hear (pun intended) about your ear problems. Hopefully nothing permanent. I agree about interacting with medium. Never been a R2R guy always intrigued. I do enjoy the whole ritual with LPs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rplace said:

I remember spongeowrthy, that name always cracked me up. I could not figure out what you meant yesterday. I kept rereading the posts looking for his name. Saw some later messages today and it all made sense. Sorry to hear (pun intended) about your ear problems. Hopefully nothing permanent. I agree about interacting with medium. Never been a R2R guy always intrigued. I do enjoy the whole ritual with LPs.

The hearing loss came after a cold/sinus infection and should have cleared up after 6 weeks with just a single round of prednisone according to the doc.  Still a little ringing though after three months:(  I saw a chart once showing typical hearing loss through the years starting at age 20 @ 23,000 hz to my age (69) @10,000:mellow:  Maybe I'm expecting too much.

BTW......where is Luther?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

The hearing loss came after a cold/sinus infection and should have cleared up after 6 weeks with just a single round of prednisone according to the doc.  Still a little ringing though after three months:(  I saw a chart once showing typical hearing loss through the years starting at age 20 @ 23,000 hz to my age (69) @10,000:mellow:  Maybe I'm expecting too much.

I remember you having a bad cold a while back, has it been 3 months already. Geeze time flies. I'd like to get a hearing test just to know what has been lost due to age/abuse. My dad worked for the automotive industry for 35 years always in GM plants. His high frequency hearing is terrible. I don't think I'm that bad but like everything else it goes with age if nothing else. Take longer to bounce back from injuries and sickness. Hopefully you still have room to improve.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Hope it continues to improve for you Chuck.

About 20 years ago I started wearing ear plugs. I used them while operating a lawn mower, chain saw, weed eater, any kind of saw, at work, even while riding a motorcycle with a full face helmet on. Two years ago I had my hearing tested, and it's well above average for someone my age. Glad I wore the plugs for all those years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

eh??? I WORKED IN THE BACK-END OF A BOWLING ALLEY FOR 25 YEARS. [except for these tree crickets that never quit]  my hearing is better than the wife's.      or she is better at selective deafness.

Grand came over this AM wanting PaBill to make breakfast. Asked her what she wanted.  PANCAKES! She helped. Mixed the batter and pouring.  I had her telling when to turn them, too ...  with some prompting. Wasn't gonna let her try her hand at flipping cakes, yet. She 3 and a half.  Bad enough I had her in proximity to a hot griddle to pour. I moved the pan to her for that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Let that sweet music heal that ear there Chuck...:emotion-29::emotion-29::emotion-29:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks billybob.  Been listening to some vinyl (Tom Waits-One From The Heart) great recording and then a Randy Travis album.  One CD Keb Mo-Keep It Simple.  Sounding good even with 90% hearing in one ear.

Always seems strange that I turn the volume to "9" on the CD player and to "20" on the phono.  Different output I guess:mellow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1