Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

31 minutes ago, babadono said:

BTW, did anybody in the history of the world ever get a clean pressing in vinyl of that album? I could never get a copy that the needle would stay in the groove---clicks and pops surface noise OMG . Was so glad when I was able to get a CD of it.

I have a first us pressing on Decca !

But not the UK ...

• Like 3

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, babadono said:

yea I had a Technics SL1100(1200??) with an SME arm and a Shure V15 type III. F'ing bastards stole it along with all my Mac gear. But for some reason they didn't take the LaScalas.

I had one of those TT also and a Yamaha.

They probably were just to lazy to take the LaScalas, they are not something you grab and run off with and throw in the trunk of a car. Plus they obviously didn't know what they were or what they were worth.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have a "record player" ... one of those gray boxes from the school system.  I know we are old enough to remember those.  My dad had this one because it will play 78's.

If those folks that stole the Mac and TT, even if they knew what LS are worth, it like the Chamber of Commerce in Anchorage.... They have a piece of jade on display on the sidewalk ... nobody messes with it ... It the size a VW.

got the tamper-proof screw from the coffee maker. No obvious sign of problem. It didn't let magic smoke. The fuse is still good, too.  I wonder if we got back to basics ... is it plugged in?   is it turned on?  Something stupid... like the plug/power lead developed a break. It acts like an "open". There is a relay ... but that is for the heater coil... I don't think power is getting there.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:
l'm going home
And when I want to go home, I'm going mobile
Well I'm gonna find a home on wheels, see how it feels,
Goin' mobile
Keep me moving
I can pull up by the curb,
I can make it on the road,
Goin' mobile
I can stop in any street
And talk with people that we meet
Goin' mobile
Keep me moving, mmm
Out in the woods
Or in the city
It's all the same to me
When I'm driving free
The world's my home
When I'm mobile, ey woo, beep beep
Play the tape machine
Make the toast and tea
When I'm mobile
Well, I can lay in bed with only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me moving
Keep me moving
Over fifty
Keep me groovin'
Just a hippie gypsy
Come on move now
Movin'
Keep me movin' yeah
Keep me movin', movin', movin', yeah
Movin' yeah
Mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile, mobile
I don't care about pollution
I'm an air-conditioned gypsy
That's my solution
Watch the police and the taxman miss me!
I'm mobile! Oh yeah he he
Mobile, mobile, mobile, yeah

it was coincidentally playing while I was reading about Gia riding her bicycle.. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

OK so I had a project today, we are going to give our oldest daughter a pair of forte's and a sub for her new remodeled house. We had for rear surrounds a pair of original Forte's for L&R and a center forte ll for the back 3, in a 6.1 setup. We had an extra pair of Forte ll's we thought about giving her but she does not care so I decided to switch them out and have 3 of the ll version across the back .

I was being lazy not wanting to switch them out but decided it had been like that for 10 years and it will probably be forever after this switch I might as well do it. Problem was they are mounted up on the ceiling against a beam, and they weigh 70 pounds each. Plus the one version was Walnut and the ll version is Oak like the center, they will all match, not that were that particular. They are aimed like that because the sofa is against that beam right under them.

I got the 18 year old grandson to help catch them as I lowered them from the ladder. But I'm glad it's over, except for putting the next ones up. You would not believe the dust on the back of the speakers behind where you can not reach :blink: 10 years worth, I put them on the front porch and used the blower to blow them off, next I need to wipe them down. They are Walnut oil so I will oil them before we give them to her, plus I am going to order those metal grate speaker covers for the rear passive radiator because they have cats dogs and kids.

This where they were. I did this because there years ago because there is no other place to put anything on the sides rear.

It's a sickness. :huh:

speakers_3.JPG

• Like 6

the Kid is a sharp cookie. She is 3 1/2.. She noticed the bubbles on the pancakes when we were making them.

Yesterday, I was looking... She had turned one of these R15M's.  She found the port on the back.  If she can't feel air moving, it isn't working...

She gonna love the Scalas.

... and as long as the kid like them, they can stay. Wife will let them.  Otherwise, they will end out in the "doghouse". My 12 X 12 shed/cave. Be like sitting in a pair of headphones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

OK so I had a project today, we are going to give our oldest daughter a pair of forte's and a sub for her new remolded house. We had for rear surrounds a pair of original Forte's for L&R and a center forte ll for the back 3, in a 6.1 setup. We had an extra pair of Forte ll's we thought about giving her but she does not care so I decided to switch them out and have 3 of the ll version across the back .

I was being lazy not wanting to switch them out but decided it had been like that for 10 years and it will probably be forever after this switch I might as well do it. Problem was they are mounted up on the ceiling against a beam, and they weigh 70 pounds each. Plus the one version was Walnut and the ll version is Oak like the center, they will all match, not that were that particular. They are aimed like that because the sofa is against that beam right under them.

I got the 18 year old grandson to help catch them as I lowered them from the ladder. But I'm glad it's over, except for putting the next ones up. You would not believe the dust on the back of the speakers behind where you can not reach :blink: 10 years worth, I put them on the front porch and used the blower to blow them off, next I need to wipe them down. They are Walnut oil so I will oil them before we give them to her, plus I am going to order those metal grate speaker covers for the rear passive radiator because they have cats dogs and kids.

This where they were. I did this because there years ago because there is no other place to put anything on the sides rear.

speakers_3.JPG

fortified !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

OK so I had a project today, we are going to give our oldest daughter a pair of forte's and a sub for her new remolded house. We had for rear surrounds a pair of original Forte's for L&R and a center forte ll for the back 3, in a 6.1 setup. We had an extra pair of Forte ll's we thought about giving her but she does not care so I decided to switch them out and have 3 of the ll version across the back .

speakers_3.JPG

--- "got the 18 year old grandson to help catch them". So I'm picturing you on the ladder, pushing the Forte from its shelf yelling "here it comes" and hoping the young man can pluck a Forte out of mid-air . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, babadono said:

^Whew! When I first started reading I thought you were going say dropped 1 or worse fell off the ladder. 10 years of dust we can handle.:P

No but I will say one thing, I am definitely weaker than I was 10 years ago. :(

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

fortified !

Never thought of it that way, your right, 6 in one room.......plus 2 huge speakers for 2 Ch and a big fat sub for both.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

-- "got the 18 year old grandson to help catch them". So I'm picturing you on the ladder, pushing the Forte from its shelf yelling "here it comes" and hoping the young man can pluck a Forte out of mid-air . 

He would freak out, he was very nervous already, I set them on top the ladder and he held them while I got down, then he helped bring them to the porch so I could blow off 10 years of dust. :blink: That's what I should have got a pic of !

Well I cleaned them good and they were Walnut oil so I oiled them, they are looking pretty good for 30 years old, but most 30 year old's should look good. :lol:

I got out the Forte ll's out the boxes and they were Oak oil and a little dry so I cleaned them and oiled them also, if they dry tonight I can hang them if not it will be tomorrow.  The two's are from 1991, they came out with that version in 1989.

So our oldest daughter is going to have a pair of the originals and a Danley Spud clone for a sub, should sound good, they use computer speakers now.

It was a tough choice, give her the original Forte's or a pair of black RB-75's, both with the sub. We decided to keep the 75's just because they are much more portable to take places, they have already been to Tennessee to a cabin. Yes we have taken speakers on vacation :huh:

• Like 4