Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I'm drinking cold leftover now ... waiting for the machine.

coffee and beer share one thing.  Good coffee and good beer still taste good when they are "off temperature"

good coffee is good cold and good beer is palatable at room temp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The Bunn we have does it better than any maker we've had in the past.

What model of Bunn? I remember only a handful that truly brew and end up with coffee in the 190s. I love to have a technivorm some day, but pretty hard to justify in my mind.

In the past I put coffee into a carafe preheated with warm water like Neil and did not utilize the hot plate. Then I moved to a maker with insulated carafe and no hot plate. Finally I landed on a model known for make it in the 190 degree temps also without a hot plate directly into a stainless double walled carafe. Each step was an improvement in flavor and loss in bitterness. Mine rarely sticks around long enough to get cold. The wife and I are not really sippers. We sit and talk and gulp it down with a dedicated purpose in about 15-20 minutes for an entire pot. I really enjoy that time of day. Then we are off to take on the day. Good start to things.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, rplace said:

What model of Bunn? I remember only a handful that truly brew and end up with coffee in the 190s. I love to have a technivorm some day, but pretty hard to justify in my mind.

In the past I put coffee into a carafe preheated with warm water like Neil and did not utilize the hot plate. Then I moved to a maker with insulated carafe and no hot plate. Finally I landed on a model known for make it in the 190 degree temps also without a hot plate directly into a stainless double walled carafe. Each step was an improvement in flavor and loss in bitterness. Mine rarely sticks around long enough to get cold. The wife and I are not really sippers. We sit and talk and gulp it down with a dedicated purpose in about 15-20 minutes for an entire pot. I really enjoy that time of day. Then we are off to take on the day. Good start to things.

What are you using ?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

What are you using ?

Bonavita, the poor man's Technivorm. I've had it for 2.5 years now and can't say enough good things about it. Worth every penny and then some. Work horse, zero problems (unlike  my grinder I bought at the same time) and just gets the job done. I must have had 10 other makers prior all that had their plusses and minuses. This is a keeper.

• Like 5

12 old guys for breakfast this morning.....most from high school days.  Lies were told! 

Now over to LF's friends place to do some pruning.

Any of our coffee thread guys going to the Pilgrimage?  Guessing Jimbo and Carl will make it. Just wonder who is traveling the greatest distance?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Any of our coffee thread guys going to the Pilgrimage?  Guessing Jimbo and Carl will make it. Just wonder who is traveling the greatest distance?

Yes, I'm definitely attending.  I'm sure there are several others that are traveling a greater distance than my paltry 837 miles....but I get to stop in Memphis the night before, so I've got that going for me....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I get to stop in Memphis the night before, so I've got that going for me....

THAT sounds like a great plan!  Stumbling around here THUNKIN about coffee now that I'm caught up with the thread here...  Getting stoked for this Tedischi Trucks show the end of May in Ft. Wayne. Vinyl should be here today soooo  :)  Suck it up buttercup and enjoy while you're nosin here.  Time for coffee now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

12 old guys for breakfast this morning.....most from high school days.  Lies were told! 

Now over to LF's friends place to do some pruning.

--- "to do some "pruning" -- never heard it called that before - cute ---

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Mornin'

I am trying to imagine Mike with one of those one cup coffee makers that have the coffee in the little "capsules" ...

then I think of how Mike's one cup coffee make might look...  a coffee urn with handles. HaHaha

coming  up to our annual "Idiot Contest".  May Day. I'll try to cliff note the story. Late 60's/early 70's, there was a "commune" in the hills out here. It broke up, but the members decided to get together on May1 every year.  It took on a life of its own as the "legend" spread.

--- I imagine 'Mudds coffee "machine" more akin in size to those portable cement mixers you rent and tow behind a pick-em-up --- 

That and his 5 gallon orange 'Depot "coffee mug" ---?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

THAT sounds like a great plan!  Stumbling around here THUNKIN about coffee now that I'm caught up with the thread here...  Getting stoked for this Tedischi Trucks show the end of May in Ft. Wayne. Vinyl should be here today soooo  :)  Suck it up buttercup and enjoy while you're nosin here.  Time for coffee now!

The Embassy Theater in Ft. Wayne is one of my favorite venues. This will be an excellent show. I saw them in Indy a couple years ago at the Palladium.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, I'm definitely attending.  I'm sure there are several others that are traveling a greater distance than my paltry 837 miles....but I get to stop in Memphis the night before, so I've got that going for me....

Take good care of my SX-1250 along the way!  :D:D:D

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Davis said:

The Embassy Theater in Ft. Wayne is one of my favorite venues. This will be an excellent show. I saw them in Indy a couple years ago at the Palladium

I was actually suprised to see them fairly close...  Couple hours West on 30 so I'm thinkin it should be a nice Thursday cruise.  I used the "Phone a friend" option and his secretary took care of the ticket dirty work for me.  Row 2 center will work i'm thunkin.  Hopefully this lil good lookin wench/old high school friend from Naples decides to shave her legs and smell delicious.  Just shot her a txt informing her I was kidnapping her for the day.  No reply yet but she'll bite.  They all do when I make a guest appearance somewhere...  HAHAHAHA!!! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Clearly, I’m not a coffee connoisseur.

That's me 100%

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

That said, to open a new can of worms, I do put a divot in the grounds, let the Bunn start for a few seconds and stop it for ~30 seconds to get a “bloom.”

Now I have done this, but never noticed a difference. (see above answer^^^) Using an old drip put it's easy to do.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I would rather nuke warm coffee from the carafe than drink it warm or drink it cooked.

Being an old drip pot I boil the water and pour it in, the drip pot never goes on the heat. After it cools I nuke it. If I leave it sit in the cup to long I drink it at whatever temp it's at, even room temp. Actually it seems to have more flavor room temp ?

But I drink an odd coffee anyway , Community N.O. blend dark and add one Truvia and a little creamer so always go refer back to the statement "I'm not a coffee connoisseur".

When not at home just a little something sweet is good enough.

Strange thing is like last week, 5 days in Hope with 3 cups total over 2 mornings and no adverse affects, you would think after 1.5 pots a day I would feel something different ? Withdrawals from caffeine or something ?

• Like 2