Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

9 hours ago, dtel said:

Now you know if you were stuck on an island............

... that's what she said after seeing me...

mornin' all

some ArivacaBlend in the cup/pot. It French roast with a light roast. About 50/50. I tend toward light/er roasts. This is a nice change. Straight French roast is a little too intense.

Starting to get "excited" about getting this MWM build under way.  I am hoping to source parts, for the tops, local. Tucson constitutes local. 60 miles. The bass bins are going to be fun. Using tops from Khorn/LS should save a few $$$ over the MCM1900 tops. The 33's look like the go for what I need/want.

...and now for the weather

yes, we have some.  It fresh. 50`. Getting ready to put my cold feet against the wife. HaHaHa Sposed to hit 90`+. A nice day.

• Like 3

Yep I was a little late to the game.....always guessed Keb Mo was rap.  Then I played a sample on Amazon and later heard him locally with Taj Mahal.  Now a big fan and own most of his CDs.  All his albums sound very good too! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Mark Knopfler

Dire straits albums are known to sound good ! also steely dan...

Usually open field recordings in the studio...

Where they capture the room environment....

With few over dubs....

Pre 70 recordings.. With 3-4 track recordings... Before for 12-16-24 and so on..

Now they plug the guitars direct to the board.. And ad effects afterwords....

But not sure who is doing open field recordings.. Now

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Speaking of good sound.....what artist's recordings usually sound superior?  I like Mark Knopfler, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, and Diana Krall to name a few.

As for recordings sounding clean and clear...the guy on the control board doing the mixing-down has more to do with it than anything.  Often called recording engineers and/or producers, once an artist finds one who is great at it, they generally tend to stick with them, if at all possible.  Take Bill Szymczyk, for instance.  He has been doing this for half a century, and early on in the recording career of Joe Walsh, he produced the first three albums by the James Gang,  among other groups/singers.  It was Bill who suggested to the Eagles that adding Joe Walsh would roll them back into rock land.  His work is Very clear...CLEAN...and sounds great on horn-loaded speakers.

• Like 3

Gonna try making pepper sauce this year instead of the pesto spread I've made in the past.  The fermentation method similar to what they do with Tabasco is what I'll try.  Just had my first batch come off the plants and they're loaded with fruit.  This first batch will be a mixture of peppers and will be very small.

20180528_094101.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Gonna try making pepper sauce this year instead of the pesto spread I've made in the past.  The fermentation method similar to what they do with Tabasco is what I'll try.  Just had my first batch come off the plants and they're loaded with fruit.  This first batch will be a mixture of papers and will be very small.

20180528_094101.jpg

Dang!  Those are some good lookin' peppers!

• Like 3

the term "pungent" comes to mind.  I don't consider Tabasco hot.  Mildly entertaining, at most. Those looks to be hot peppers. Scotch bonnet, ghost, and/or habanero?  Habanero have a sweet citrus flavor ... if you can taste anything after the burn tones down.

My OCD gets the better of me... I've been pulling weeds out of the lawn [to come]. I softened it up for a couple days ... the Rainbird is a wonder. I have to comment about its ability to defy my mechanical know how ... Weeding is fairly easy. Anything green is subject to being pulled. Another rule applies later ... if it looks too happy, it is probably a weed.

wife is enjoying her vacation -- still asleep. Until the cats start fighting. Frank brought a bunny in last night. He didn't get to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Wife was chasing him .... he dropped it. It ran... One of the other cats seized the opportunity... last I heard was "Crunch"...   Frank, left alone, will take his catch/es to his bowl and eat them there. No fuss, no muss. He also uses it to confuse us ..."Honey, did you give Frank a piece of pizza?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morning all...

Hard rain was a understatement yesterday.... I must say I think it's one of the hardest downpours I have seen in quite some time! We live about 30 miles  N.W. from Ellicott City and the rain around our parts was crazy. But the area around Ellicott City got 9+" of rain in just a few hours. This is the 2nd major flood to hit this small historic community in just two years. Ellicott City is very low laying and sits right next to a major stream(Gunpowder Falls). There is one business that the stream runs under. 

We have had quite a bit of rain in the last few weeks, the ground was still quite saturated! I got a chance to cut my lawn Saturday and took note of how damp to ground still was from all the rain fall from the last 10 days. I knew some more rain was on the way but had no clue it would be like this. I also got on the roof and cleaned it off and made sure my gutters were clear. It started raining around 4:00 Sunday afternoon. We had plans to go over our friends house that lived closer to Baltimore. By the time we left around 5:00 it was a torrential down pour. I checked the down spouts and water was just gushing out of them. Water was also pooling up along the back side of my house. We live on a slight hill and you could see the water running down the back yard too the house. Last week I had a guy come over to give a estimate of some grading work because of this. Our house took some water a few months ago when the ground was still frozen and we had a good bit of rain and the thawing of the ground. While we were at our friends we got 1.5" of rain in less than two hours according to my buddies rain gauge! 

I called my mom and she was the one that told me Ellicott City was flooding again. We turned the news on to watch this as it was happening. 

I used to work in Ellicott City at a dealership many years back. We would go down to the historic part and get lunch once in a while. It is a very cool little community with small shops and that old historic "feel" to it. This little town has been hit hard in the last few years..... not just with floods but there was a train wreck a few years back. The train derailed right at the bottom of Main St and I think two were killed. 

So we got home around 10:30 only to find our basement took a good bit of water. The grading to construct the swale in the back yard has not been done yet. I'll take the small amount of water in my basement over the devastation in Ellicott City! I really don't know if this small community can/will recover from this. Over $20 million was spent in the last two years from the last flood. Some of the business's did rebuild but some closed there doors. Again our governor has declared a state of emergency for this small community. IMHO the problem is not just where Ellicott City is but all the newer developments that are sprouting around the higher elevations, only too have all the runoff funnel down to this town. 

This is just one video from the many..... My heart goes out to this small community....

MKP 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3