Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

18 minutes ago, babadono said:

14 months, jeez. 2 months after warranty expired?

The wife and I were in the backyard and noticed that the water wasn't spilling from the spa to the pool like it normally was.  I checked the breaker and it was popped.  As soon as I engaged it, it tripped.  When I looked at the top of the motor I noticed that it was all wet.  Once I pulled the cover I found that the capacitor had a hole burned in the side of it and the oil had leaked out.  Good, I thought, a new cap will get me up and running.  New cap installed and it fired right up BUT the bearings were screaming.  It ran about 10 to 15 seconds and tripped the breaker.  I ordered a new motor and put it on last night. 

• Sad 4

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, babadono said:

Amen and..... Amen. He did spectacular. Please make sure he knows it.

I always make sure he knows and that we appreciate it, it's alot of work. We were talking after it was all over and he said they must have like it, dozens of people told me how good it was and They seemed to have a good time. I told him yes everything was good and everyone did have a good time, he was happy.

I told him everyone likes the idea of how much space there is, if you want to get away for a minute or just walkout side or take a ride around the property it's fine. I said everyone just mostly wants to BS and take a break and have a drink, he just smiled, he love parties and people just getting together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

Then fire it up.. And pass it around.

I might have to try that stuff one day. :blush2:

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

My 14 month old pool pump decided to crap out on me so I've had to get it back up and running.  The motor came in yesterday and I got it running last night.

It sure didn't seem like you changed it long ago, 14 months is way shorter than one should last, unless it's on 24/7.

52 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, you guys are going to enjoy this new method.  It's a bit odd, but looks like it's going to be good.  i promise to tell you all about it.

Well were a bit odd so it might fit in well ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, dtel said:

It sure didn't seem like you changed it long ago, 14 months is way shorter than one should last, unless it's on 24/7.

Maybe 8 to 10 hours a day which isn't much for those motors.  There are a couple days a year that I'll run it around the clock but that's only when we have a freeze warning.

I bought the replacement motor on line.  Coincidentally it was the same brand.  The old motor had a service factor of 1.1 and the new one is 1.46.  Hopefully that means it a little more robust.  It's about an inch and a half longer than the old one as well.

• Like 4

Just now, Tarheel said:

I miss happy hour with you Gents....Just wish it was a tad closer to the east coast.  I can see Carl, jimjimbo, and Steve shaking the tumbler now!

I wish you were closer too you old fart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Starting to get hungry, but still at least an hour before that brisket hits the magic number. It's taken two hours to get from 191 to 200...5 degrees to go. Everything else is ready. I may, at my peril, cheat a bit and raise it to 240 or so to finish. Unfortunately, you can't rush barbecue without paying a price. 

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

I was very impressed with how Rodney's whole crew had the process from cooking to serving down so smoothly and professionally. It is NOT easy!

Doing brisket today. Put in on about 0730. It's at around 191 at the moment and probably another couple of hours to get to 205 since I am smoking at 225. Of course, at that temp, the hotter the meat gets the slower the temp rises.  

Have potatoes boiled and cooled for southern mustard potato salad. As per the custom of my area, I use Miracle Whip instead of mayo. No Yankee comments, please. Pinto beans and fresh bread. All for my son and me...SO glad to have him home! He has his goal set as the Naval Academy. That would make me a very proud man, indeed.

Dave

Give us a report on the brisket.....sounds pretty yummy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Give us a report on the brisket.....sounds pretty yummy.

Always SOUNDS yummy...but, as most know, brisket is the Waterloo of smoking. I am no brisket master, but it's generally tasty. I've only done a couple that totally met my aim of being able to hold a heavy butcher knife with two fingers and slice it by simply dragging it across the brisket without pressure. I set that standard when I saw the owner of one of the best BBQ places I've ever been to do this in the 70s at Big Spring out in west Texas. It also simply ran with juice as he cut. Best I ever had. I commented on the knife, a 15 inch Victorinox. He said he'd about sharpened it down to where he was going to change it out, and I could have it for 5 bucks. Still have it.  

Dave

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Always SOUNDS yummy...but, as most know, brisket is the Waterloo of smoking. I am no brisket master, but it's generally tasty. I've only done a couple that totally met my aim of being able to hold a heavy butcher knife with two fingers and slice it by simply dragging it across the brisket without pressure. I set that standard when I saw the owner of one of the best BBQ places I've ever been to do this in the 70s at Big Spring out in west Texas. It also simply ran with juice as he cut. Best I ever had. I commented on the knife, a 15 inch Victorinox. He said he'd about sharpened it down to where he was going to change it out, and I could have it for 5 bucks. Still have it.  

Dave

Did it have the rosewood handle or

The fiberox handle ?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WillyBob said:
4 hours ago, dtel said:

The first method was just smoke them

I keep trying ...

run into a couple of problems

when I do find big enough rolling papers, I can't keep it lit  😁

You have no idea how many cigarettes lighters I went through trying to smoke those ribs, papers were out of the question, had to put them in a pipe. When it slightly started to light it did smell pretty good. 

• Haha 2

OK, so here's the method.  Normally I do mine on one of my two smokers, but this is a gas grill method (yes, I know, Heresy....).  However, it works quite well and imparts a slightly smoke flavor, while turning out very tender ribs.

3 racks of baby backs or St. Louis cut spare ribs

Your favorite rub

Water or wine soaked Wood chips wrapped in foil, holes poked in the top

Put your favorite rub on the 3 racks, cover and refrigerate overnight.  Take the ribs out and bring to room temp 1 hour before cooking

Soak the wood chips and wrap them in foil

Turn on your grill so that one side is lit, and the other is not.

Put the wood chips under the grate on the hot side

Get the grill to 350-375

Stack the racks of ribs ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER AND PLACE THEM ON THE COOL SIDE OF THE GRILL

Cook covered for about 2 hours - ROTATING THE RIBS, TAKING THE BOTTOM RACK AND MOVING IT TO THE TOP EVERY 40 MINUTES

Lower the temp of the grill to about 250

Take the racks of ribs and spread them out individually on the COOL side of the grill, cover and cook another 30 minutes or until tender.

IMG_4758 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4759 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4762 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4763 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Starting to get hungry, but still at least an hour before that brisket hits the magic number. It's taken two hours to get from 191 to 200...5 degrees to go

It's called the stall, the heat is used up melting off fat instead of raising the temperature of the meat. Pork butt is really bad about that, it's usually at least a 2 hour stall because of all the fat.

Brisket was cheap at one time, not anymore, guess people figured out how to cook it and created more demand so the price went up ?

They say no meat will take any more smoke flavor after 140 degrees but it's still hard to finish in the oven, it just doesn't feel right.

Wish I had a brisket done in another 5 degrees, should be good. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, so here's the method. 

That is different, looks good. I love the marinating idea I use it alot, I try to plan it 2 days in advance in the refrigerator, for everything, chicken ribs, pork loin.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

so, that's the trick

Not really didn't work so great at all, maby dehydrated ribs would be easier to light ? Or just go with the old standard.

• Haha 2