Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Wood. It's black, perhaps from use. He sliced from 11AM until closing in the evening and honed it every couple of plates, so it got a LOT of use! I am sure it was a 30.00 or more knife even in the mid-70s.

Dave

Rosewood , and fiberox...

IMG_20180605_195524.jpg

IMG_20180605_195534.jpg

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

ya wanna shoot me a towel for my keyboard, please?

Kind of what I was thinking. 

41 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I marinate my chicken is vinegar/oil Italian salad dressing. Home made ....

That is for BBQ.  We kinda blurring lines now.

Sounds good, I try many seasoning to see how they taste, at one time I kept a book with each different mixture so when it was done I could remember what was used.

One of my favorites for pork loin is to rub it down with Sriracha sauce, sprinkle with granulated onion and garlic and a little salt and sit in the ref for a couple days if you like spicy.

It seems with chicken it's hard to get flavor all the way inside, the two best things were beer which i didn't care for the taste and the other is Soy sauce which gives a good taste. Of course both with other seasonings.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

put the foil packet over the tops of the tents.

Yea some brands call them "flavorizing bars" oooh.

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

My neck of the woods it's all about bratwurst for the most part.  Good ribs are hard to find so will be trying yours Jimjimbo!  

grilling vienna sausage, now that's original, I will try almost anything once, I would try it.  

That must be the California approved chain saw, no fumes, sparks or noise, only problem very little wood being cut at that rate.

• Haha 1

Pretty crappy picture, but I didn't look at it until the meat was 3/4 eaten by Thomas and I. It was good. Not pit master good, but certainly good for us also rans. I hadn't used this thing for two years, and I intend to adjust a bit next time. As I mentioned, I only cooked it at 225 for 9.5 hours, then accelerated to 275 as my son was starving. That also meant it didn't get to rest for a couple of hours, which is the final touch. 

Anyway, it's always fun. Next project is my first attempt to cure a fresh ham in my 7-in-1. For those familiar with the Brinkman bullet cooker, it's the same form factor, but this one is on steroids. Can be used as a bubba cooker, a gas grill, a two level smoker fired with charcoal, or a charcoal grill for steaks and such. I am quite expert at slow curing...smoking at 140 degrees for at least 20 or more hours...in a large smoker, but haven't tried it in anything this small before. Should be an adventure. A properly fully cured smoke ham needs no refrigeration.  I love 'em. 

Dave

20180605_184830.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Sadly, the firm is no longer in business.  

Others make the same form factor. This one goes for 200.00 or so, but I got an open box return good as new for about 80. It's killer for camping as with all the various options, you can do anything from wok to wood smoking. I'll post a picture when I do the ham. 

Dave

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Sadly, the firm is no longer in business.  

They were good, then they tried to go into the old style with the smoker box on the end, it would have worked but the poor quality and loose fitting everything causes many problems they were impossible to control the temperature. There were plenty of threads on smoker forums on trying to fix them even when new. It's a shame because there really is a market for small to medium size smokers on the budget side, it wouldn't have cost much to make a few adjustments and it would have worked well.

The bullet design has been perfected by Webber and they still sell many, and they are not cheap.

Considering a Rec Tec pellet smoker (I know it doesn't grill, I have a 22" Weber https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/performer-series/15401001.html?cgid=219#start=1 for that)
https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-bull-rt-700-wood-pellet-grill/

Expensive BUT? The moving company seems to have "lost" my offset firebox smoker when I moved here 8 years ago and I never replaced it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Considering a Rec Tec pellet smoker

Pellets are WAY overpriced, IMHO. So are chips. I use chips in the Masterbuilt electric as it's too much of a hassle to cut wood thin enough and they last pretty well...but I use chunks in the 7 in 1 that I cut myself with a table saw.

Honestly, wish I could afford another good quality large barrel smoker, but at 350.00 or more just out of range for a fixed income retiree. BTW, did you see my post about my son having his goal as the Naval Academy and Silent Service? We'll see if he makes it. One of the RMHC Board members just happened to be friends with the head of the area Blue and Gold, and he's tasked with recommending candidates. Even more coincidental, his son is on leave before deployment to the ...Silent Service...after just graduating from the Naval Academy. Told my son he may want to consider there may be higher forces at work here. The coincidences are a bit too much. 

• Like 1