Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
5 hours ago, USNRET said:

So at what temperature(s) does C and F become the same? 

So at 33000 feet over Alaska and the ground temp is -50 does the same change happens at altitude ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dtel said:

So at 33000 feet over Alaska and the ground temp is -50 does the same change happens at altitude ?

Dave has it above -40 is F and C

Assuming no inversion layer and the temp vs altitude remained constant the Alaskan temperature would have a delta T of -60 C from standard day so the same calculation would be used (66-16 = minus 50 standard day) minus the deviation from standard day so in theory it would be -100 degrees at 33,000'

Assuming your -50 was F..I converted to C; answer in C

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Heated.

I knew they were heated and insulated but -100 is well past killing you in minutes.

14 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Bites down hard on the cyanide capsule...

Your easy, don't give up quite so easy, at times the silliness overflows, it's more like a goal at times since we have already beat the coffee thing to death.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dtel said:

-100 planes must be well insulated, or well heated

Both. German height climber zeppelins in WWI reached over 20,000 feet and many crew members lost consciousness and froze to death as they had no oxygen masks and their suits weren't all that effective given the time they had to spend on the runs at 70 mph or so. B-17 crews in WWII had oxygen masks and good suits, but still suffered at the service altitude of 30,000 feet. 

Dave

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Speaking of service altitudes this was in the news today.  Well it seems the only people who noticed were the people who filmed it, and they do not seem to be very upset.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/19/horny-couple-joins-mile-high-club-in-full-view-of-passengers/

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/06/20/silver-airways-passengers-catch-couple-having-sex-in-seat-behind-them.html

• Like 3

it's marzipan day for me.

for you sun worshipers ...Summer solstice.

for Catholic's -- Feast of St.John the Baptist.

Down here SanJuan Day ... the traditional beginning of the monsoon season.

Waiting for the outside to be warmer than in.... then to close up the house. 107` [for Tucson predicted.. It will be warm today and tomorrow. 109` for Fri.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Waiting for the outside to be warmer than in.... then to close up the house. 107` [for Tucson predicted.. It will be warm today and tomorrow. 109` for Fri.

And here I've put off the yard work all week because of five days of a hundred all over this side of town. NWS for us is over 100 miles away @ GSP airport while the metro area here has been over 1 mil since the 1980 census. I use weatherunderground stations around here and they match our non-mercury thermometer more often than not. It's 10:15 here and not 90 yet the little wave has broke, it's been 90 by 8:30a all week.

About to finish off my birthday beans, this year I didn't have to pay for my yearly Kona this time, it was on the porch two weeks ago from my brother! Just <$45/lb is more than twice as much as I normally spend for my fix, but this is very good 3/4 dark with 1/4 med roasted and perfect with a smidgen of dk brown sugar.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

that sounds about right for Kona. It was $25/lb in the early 90's.  Lappert's

average high [for Tucson] is 102` for this date. it takes 115` for record

I'd take that over our 100 with 50% humidity that lasts until 11pm any day. Way I understand is it's a dry heat out there 🔥. 115 I don't know, not at my fighting weight now, when I was strong and 38 106 in FL was pretty bad!

• Like 3

• Moderators

We average mid 90's but with high humidity. I do remember going through the Arizona desert in the summer as a kid, it was so hot you couldn't touch anything metal outside. Looked forward to the hotel pool but then the water was closer to a hot tub temperature, stayed in the room waiting to leave the next day.

Got to see them filming the old TV show The Rat Patrol", it was the late 60's so we went on to California. My dad wanted to see some hippies so we went to Haight and Ashbury street for a walk, don't know why he was so interested in hippies, or maby it was the hippie girls ? Had my first Chinese food in Chinatown, my dad thought my mom was trying to kill us with that stuff, this was before there was a chinese restaurants everywhere.

Things were different back then.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2