Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

16 minutes ago, dtel said:

Got to see them filming the old TV show The Rat Patrol", it was the late 60's so we went on to California. My dad wanted to see some hippies so we went to Haight and Ashbury street for a walk, don't know why he was so interested in hippies, or maby it was the hippie girls ? Had my first Chinese food in Chinatown, my dad thought my mom was trying to kill us with that stuff, this was before there was a chinese restaurants everywhere.

Things were different back then.  

D@m= Straight Man!

I remember the Rat Patrol. One of me and all my friends favorite shows! Late 60 & early 70s stuff we loved it, Green Hornet too didn't realize how profound Kato was then! Built tank, half-track and jeep models and killed rommel a hundred times over in all the yards around here. Weren't allowed to watch The Green Berets until years later.

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Green Hornet too didn't realize how profound Kato was then!

That's surely true, had no idea what or who he would turn into, forgot all about that.

From the road all we could see was jeeps running around the desert filming the rat patrol, a few people pulled over to watch but only for a few minutes, it was hot, they had a rough job filming that.

When in San Francisco we watched as they filmed The streets of San Francisco,  it was right by the bay at a streetcar turnaround at the bottom of a hill, those guys had it easy compared to being in the desert. I guess they filmed alot on the streets back then, we just happened  to run across both of them by accident.

For being 11 or so it was all kind of strange to me, I had never seen streets so steep, it is flat where we were from. My mother was not happy when we had to jump on a streetcar, she couldn't believe they didn't stop, it really is a beautiful state, strange but pretty. One day I would like to the the Northern part of the state.

• Like 3

I watched RatPatrol.

The weather is breath taking. The heat sucks the air from ya. It warm out there.  If you ride a motorcycle, you don't park on asphalt... the kickstand will sink in.

Loose change on the car seat will make an "impression", too.  Steering wheel might get a little tacky.   The heat index is lower than a lot of the country. And will be, unless you live in Phoenix or the lower desert/ColoradoRiverBasin. You NEED A/C to survive Phoenix.  It doesn't cool at night - heat island from all the concrete/asphalt. 85` is not uncommon for a low

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I had never seen streets so steep, it is flat where we were from.

me too. Indiana is not known for its spectacular geologic features.

However, in Nogales there are some streets that have steps for sidewalk...

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

The weather is breath taking. The heat sucks the air from ya. It warm out there.  If you ride a motorcycle, you don't park on asphalt... the kickstand will sink in.

Loose change on the car seat will make an "impression", too.  Steering wheel might get a little tacky. 

I have to tell you what happened while we were in the desert we went to one of the first hotels we ran across with a pool, which didn't go well. We went to eat and when we came back it was still early so we just went to the hotel just happy to be out the car. This was around the end of the 60's and clocks in cars didn't work so great, it was a 67 Impala. So My dad had one of those wind up little clocks like on a bed stand in the car, he put it on the dashboard. When we got in the car the next morning the clock melted it was a metal gear windup part with a puddle of plastic under it.  The clock melted completely, he was some mad, it was stuck to the dashboard, me and my sister thought it was cool but kept quiet until he calmed down.

I will never forget that trip, 3 weeks on the road, although it did feel like crossing Texas was never going to end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

when I go to next year pilgrimage, I will be crossing TX the long/est way. or almost. ElPaso to Texarkana.

I just took a splash in the kid's pool. She wanted me to fill it. Hard to say "No" to a little girl.

The other teacher, at the wife's school, is moving to Prescott. Having a moving sale. Told wife to get the horse trough ... Enough room for a little boat motor and we have a "HillbillyHotTub".

It would be a matched set with the outhouse converted to sauna. ...and my wife denies the "Hill folk" tag that I am proud of. Kinda figures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

.and my wife denies the "Hill folk" tag that I am proud of. Kinda figures.

Just looking through on youtube the other day I ran across videos where many people were making DIY pools from different size throughs, some were as big as good sized hot tubs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

when I go to next year pilgrimage, I will be crossing TX the long/est way. or almost. ElPaso to Texarkana.

Trivia: About the same distance as Texarkana to Chicago. I live in Texarkana, and lived in El Paso as well. Swamp cooler in El Paso at 115 feels better than AC in TXK at 95. 

Dave

• Like 3

Congrats to GiaBob!

Another warm one here Gents.  Drove the Bubble home from LF's place this morning.....put the top up and did a clean up.  I use 303 cleaner for the top, seals, and trim and follow with their protectant.  Seems to be doing it's job.  Done by 8:30 am and already sopping wet😓

LF is playing tennis in this heat.....yikes!

So what's up with you guys?  Hugging the AC?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3