Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, Audio Android said:

If you would not have told Us where it was, I woulda' said China....The whole building is wood... It looks like some fire damage on the far left of the first pic..... Greed is a deadly sin. 

Good to see another NC poster here.  I'm on the other end of the state in Wilmington.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I heard on the news they were building a berm around the destruction to prevent runoff into local waters. I wonder how many barrels smashed vs leaking vs holding tight? Surely they would salvage the ones that are intact not just scrap it all, no? Could be a heck of a happy hour for the CCC crowd if they just turned us all loose to help with clean up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, rplace said:

Surely they would salvage the ones that are intact not just scrap it all, no?

Unless it was well insured, with all that weight and a building that looks like it is overloaded you would think to get insurance it would have to be inspected?

That looks like a crazy amount of weight to be in a structure like that, at that height.

• Like 3

Every "barrel house" I have seen on bourbon TV shows seems to look like that. Insane. I bet the salvaged barrels are spun to have a "Rare Survivor Barrel" name thus upping the price. Not just single barrel, but Survivor Barrel :emotion-46:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, rplace said:

I heard on the news they were building a berm around the destruction to prevent runoff into local waters. I wonder how many barrels smashed vs leaking vs holding tight? Surely they would salvage the ones that are intact not just scrap it all, no? Could be a heck of a happy hour for the CCC crowd if they just turned us all loose to help with clean up.

Just one barrel would kick our OLD butts. Wonder if you pick it up can you get a barrel cheap ? Your probably right, no it's more now.

Good thing it was not moonshine, there might be a big crater there now if there was a spark

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dtel said:

Just one barrel would kick our OLD butts. Wonder if you pick it up can you get a barrel cheap ? Your probably right, no it's more now.

The aging process is pretty strict as to temperature, humidity and sunlight.  I'm not sure what an event like this would do to the contents.  The manufacturer probably doesn't know either.

• Like 4

20K in there, or that the warehouse cap? 50% isn't bad. They'll prolly waste it for insurance [QC HaHaHa]

some post holiday fireworks

We have a fire going between here and Sasabe. Watched it blow up.  Noticed a gray haze with a tiny cumulus cloud at the top.  20 min later the haze turned to a black column. Enough humidity for the smoke to cause more clouds that can stir into dry t-storms. All the fun w/o water. Lots of lightning and wind.  Fan those fires!

I don't get much concerned until we start smelling smoke. Like being trapped be flooded washes, part of life out here. The charms of country life.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The aging process is pretty strict as to temperature, humidity and sunlight.  I'm not sure what an event like this would do to the contents.  The manufacturer probably doesn't know either.

But you can bet whatever is saved will be sold at one point or another. 

They are owned by a company out of New Orleans, so no matter what the quality it will be sold on Bourbon street where the average customers would have no clue if it's any good or not. They could put a barrel on top the bar, tap it and serve straight the barrell and charge more for the novelty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

And in KARMA news.

3 Rhino poachers were eaten by lions in a game reserve in South Africa, they found a gun one skull and 3 pairs of shoes.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/05/gang-rhino-poachers-mauled-to-death-by-pride-lions-after-breaking-into-game-reserve.html

--- Good kitty, nice kitty!

and what did one lion say to the others - " tastes' like big chicken"?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They wished they had my hot sauce for it though.

It's time for Oldtimer's  hot sauce special editions.

First up is Solstice Scream, a blend of habanero and Trinidad scorpions.  This is a very simple pure chile head sauce, strained and sold in 3 ounce bottles for $5 each.  Made with Druidic incantations on the summer solstice.  3 ounce bottles, TSA approved for all of your travel needs.

Next is Mordor Mud, a pure chocolate habanero sauce.  Nothing chocolate about the flavor, just the color.  Same 3 ounce size and strained, no chunks.  Stolen from Mordor itself by brave little Hobbits who brought the ill gotten gains to me in the middle of the night.

Limited quantities so put your orders in soon.

The Mordor Mud has a quite unique flavor...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't really follow teams. I look for a good game. Will be watchin en Espanol today. These games aren't on my cheapo package, in English. I used to watch the GrandSumo tournament on the Japanese channel. Those commentators are as animated as the Mexican...

• Haha 1

Did a little reading about Gin martinis.  Think I'm going to try a Plymouth Gin/Dolin vermouth, stirred vigorously and served with all ingredients and glass very cold.  Olives or lemon peel. Need to find the parts and I will report back. 

Also read something about bartending/mixology that shaking"bruises" the vodka. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1