Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

24 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Straight up with heated filtered water only.

Have you looked into RO?  I have the output on mine T'd  so that one leg goes to the spigot on my sink and the other supplies my icemaker.  Great water for coffee AND cubes for my bourbon and martinis that way.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Have you looked into RO?  I have the output on mine T'd  so that one leg goes to the spigot on my sink and the other supplies my icemaker.  Great water for coffee AND cubes for my bourbon and martinis that way.

Yes Reverse Osmosis makes very good drinking water but a big % of what goes through it is wasted. My three under the sink plus one in the fridge do pretty darn good for the cooking and drinking. 

We have punitive water bills & general taxes here. Dim-wits downtown. That's why there are less people inside the city limits relative to the metro area than there were in the 1980 census @ 89x,000.

We pay monthly for imaginary drainage for our 1/3 acre and for our 150' of curb. Water has not drained off this property except when we got 28" in <12 hrs during Hurricane Hugo.

30 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

only one problem

It is TEA

I rationalize A LOT!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Hey Carl, the RO has a reservoir for the wastewater doesn't it? I didn't research it again today like I did a long time ago.

I could use the filtered RO h20 a lot then get from the "dirty" water from the spigot? If I could utilize the other three gallons discarded from the four it takes to make one gallon it might be feasible to me!

It would still take a lot more space under the sink... I'm gonna be looking at this as soon as I click submit here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Hey Carl, the RO has a reservoir for the wastewater doesn't it? I didn't research it again today like I did a long time ago.

I could use the filtered RO h20 a lot then get from the "dirty" water from the spigot? If I could utilize the other three gallons discarded from the four it takes to make one gallon it might be feasible to me!

It would still take a lot more space under the sink... I'm gonna be looking at this as soon as I click submit here.

There's a tube that comes off the unit.  Normally it's routed to a waste pipe but you could certainly route it to a container instead.  Use a long tube and locate your waste in a remote location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'm looking at a permeate pump right now that increases the efficiency to 85% by allowing more cleaned water into the tank without the normal degradation of the filtering at the end of that cycle. Read nothing about these when I was looking fifteen years ago at improving the water safety here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Thanks, I'm looking at a permeate pump right now that increases the efficiency to 85% by allowing more cleaned water into the tank without the normal degradation of the filtering at the end of that cycle.

I use an APEC system.  It's far superior in fit, finish and operation to ones I've had in the past.  I'm a fan boy.  I just went to their site and they now offer the pump conversions and units with it pre-installed.  This must be something new as I've not seen it before.  Looks like I could retrofit mine for $70.00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I'm covered for the next year but when it comes time to replace the cartridges...... 

For slightly more I can go RO and with the permeate filter + your idea not send so much brine to the drainpipe!

Some things do improve!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

So I'm covered for the next year but when it comes time to replace the cartridges...... 

For slightly more I can go RO and with the permeate filter + your idea not send so much brine to the drainpipe!

Some things do improve!

I'm going to get my model number tonight when I get home and look into this. I know if I buy it from APEC it'll fit and work perfectly.   Looks like a great idea.  Thanks.

• Like 2

the word "wastewater" used in a coffee topic, even using a piping system, sans backflow valve's, yet under thee sink, seems useless... shouldn't you have a settling pond somewhere… along with a certain amount of hydrogen peroxide flow, smoke stack, vents, some gauges, hourly ph testing, and a three guys in a control monitoring the situation ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, windashine said:

the word "wastewater" used in a coffee topic, even using a piping system, sans backflow valve's, yet under thee sink, seems useless... shouldn't you have a settling pond somewhere… along with a certain amount of hydrogen peroxide flow, smoke stack, vents, some gauges, hourly ph testing, and a three guys in a control monitoring the situation ?

Nah

Wastewater is what comes out of the tap here. Couldn't drink it if I tried, wouldn't cook with it, washed the muscadines last week with filtered water from the other side of the sink I put in a pitcher and poured over it.

Don't eat salad out of a plastic bag either, pre-handled veggies are a no-go in this house!!

• Like 1

I believe that's correct @mangofirst like already cut up melons, or nice looking romaine mixed with red-leaf and other salad stuff in a sealed bag.

I take immunos to stay alive now.

The stuff they pound into you before getting on THE list, then news articles since about folks getting sick from this, that and the other.

What was it a couple weeks ago? dry cereals??  Wow!

I look at some things with no gray areas at all, simply black and white, good and bad, yes or no.

• Like 3