I'm waiting for my baby
To maybe come around
My nerves have gone to pieces
My hair is turning gray
All I do is drink black coffee
Since my man's gone away

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow Mike, there are a lot of versions, but dang I've always wanted quiet or something I won't discuss right now with my morning coffee.

Back of these pics has 9/23/89 so that's the next day after.... My Houston friend laughed at my astonishment over everything like little pieces of minced leaves plastered to every object everywhere. Told me David was a real hurricane! Yeah, Hugo was a cat one all the way to Hickory....that's halfway to ASU from here. Couldn't drive (tree city's trees were on all the roads) had to walk, national guard with humvees & 40cal guns on turrents at all the shopping centers.

hugo.jpg

Todd on the left, me up top, lost three dozen trees totally then the top halves of several more 20' up from the funnel cloud that went through about 30 or 40 feet up in the air through the neighborhood.

A dull axe and a couple of pruning saws is what we had and it took over a week. Two weeks no power, it was bad enough back then but would be worse now.

Cooked at moms house on the gas stove, that cable is the neighbors generator powering mom's fridge that got other peoples food shoved into it too.

Now I'm back to the exact same pruning saws, that old axe got used up, traded my Husky 350 for a new lawn mower a couple years ago.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Gas up the chain saws and be ready.......the sheer size is sobering though it's just a storm at this point.  Have lived through many of them here on the coast since 1949 (Hazel was in 1954).  Clean up is always a chore....especially if the power is down and no AC or water to bathe in after doing yard work all day.  Found one restaurant with power near me and had 2 martinis and mellowed out a bit.

That's some hard work with an axe JohnJ.  The sister-in-law over on Red Fox Trail in Charlotte lost some ancient Oak trees.  Went through Hilton Head years later and you could still see some damage.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

That looks like no fun, even a category one can do alot of damage, the storm surge seems to do more to some areas. The tornados which are  usually small and short lived compared to normal tornados seem to pop up anywhere and can do even more damage within seconds being pushed along quickly.

Being without power for a few weeks is an experience in itself, it makes you think of other way of doing things which is not a bad thing. We live 10 miles from town which is by the interstate,there were probably 5 power poles left standing over those 10 miles and not many over the next 100+ miles. The police ran out of gas in 2 days and were sent home, your on your own. The military pulled into town sometime after the first week and a half and there were many people riding around on 4 wheelers checking each house and marking either the street or the house with paint to signal the status of each house as far as survivors/or not, these marking were everywhere and still on many abandoned houses in New Orleans through Mississippi.

04Kat-house-marks.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

the sheer size is sobering though it's just a storm at this point

That's what bothers me when something like that which could be very powerful and large could just go straight into land.

25 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Clean up is always a chore....especially if the power is down and no AC or water to bathe in after doing yard work all day.

Clean up can be ridiculous  and with an axe like John almost impossible. 

We have 2 bathrooms, one has a window so it's the one everyone used, we had plenty of candles. Luckily we have about a 1.5 acre pond in the yard so we would fill up 5 gallon buckets of water and pass them through the window to pour in the tank of the toilet so it would flush. At night we would put a candle in the bathroom and use water out of a bucket to take a shower. Yes pond water and we were very glad to have that, it felt great just to shower even with pond water.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Gas up the chain saws and be ready.......the sheer size is sobering though it's just a storm at this point.  Have lived through many of them here on the coast since 1949 (Hazel was in 1954).  Clean up is always a chore....especially if the power is down and no AC or water to bathe in after doing yard work all day.  Found one restaurant with power near me and had 2 martinis and mellowed out a bit.

That's some hard work with an axe JohnJ.  The sister-in-law over on Red Fox Trail in Charlotte lost some ancient Oak trees.  Went through Hilton Head years later and you could still see some damage.

Haven't seen the weather since this am when the bulls eye moved from lower NC to mid SC coast..... near where Hugo struck.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Cone-Florence-Takes-Aim-Southeast-US

Yea it was a big chore Elden, but I was strong for my 5'9" back then! Now I can run on caffeine and a bad attitude for a long time once I get started! Unless I pull one of those long gone muscles.

All those old oaks took the biggest toll in this berg back then. We have had almost no BlueJays since then here no Monarch Butterflys or lightning bugs either.

Since I moved back here in `03 I've seen less bluejays than I count on one hand, fireflys have started a comeback then the yellow butterflys lately too just not near as many. Taking 77 to 26 to 95 south I could see that difference down in the low country just like things changed here over those 6 or so hours.

My uncle called this morn, he's on top of the forecasts because of his Air National Guard responsibilities. He gave us the tornado warning on 3/29 or 30 2010 ten minutes before it was on the tv or coming through our cell phones. Ten minutes before that 5 min roar overhead, the hair on my arms standing up and the cue-ball sized hail and bigger that tore up this side of town that night duke won. He got a new generator recently, bringing us his old one Mon or Tues. Gas went up 10 cents in our zip code since mid week, at bj's 6 miles south it went down 20 cents since a week ago. Topped off the cars tank and both fivers I keep under the house. 

Stay safe @Tarheel

** this doesn't bode well for ACC territory

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Surface/Current.aspx

If low pressure stays in control of most of the continent that storm can go whereever it wants.

So that high pressure over CO and NM gets split by a low within 24 hrs? 

It is a weak high.

In two days there is a high over MO, but is it gonna move east or se?

damn, now I know why my uncle called us.

I AM concerned now.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

That's about all you can do, stock up and be ready, also ready to get out of town. Were less than 60 miles from the coast so if it's strong enough we leave heading North, more than once went to the mountains in East Tennessee. We have also went to ours daughters house in N Louisiana, but now she lives down here.

For Katrina we went to our daughters house and came back the next day, we filled up 7 5 gallon gas cans in North Louisiana and had them in the back of the jeep, that was a little scary. That was the closest place with electricity to be able to pump gas. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:
4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

...if you wanted something to drink... most likely a warm Bud.. Ewww American beer does not taste good warm.

Does any kind taste good warm?

NO but in an emergency......it would have to be really bad :emotion-41:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

it's only 2018... imagine the world 100 year's ago... with just a Ford, maybe a country horse carriage, a few roads, an ice box, and not a refrigerator... there were still hurricane's and war's....

Closing the gate as you traveled across the land, between the pastures, or bury your hunt to make it last longer when the ice melted... just daily life our elders built to get us where we are today.  Smooth road's, electric poles, miles of wires, speakers, a bag of coffee bean's and a manual grinder, and bottle cap's for good moonshine...just a short list of some philosophical necessities...

Keeping in touch with inspiration, nature, and love... for the future

• Like 2

JohnJ

I enjoy a dark Heineken at room temp.

Talked to sis #2 in IN... Getting sis #3 to IN is on the table. Partying down in Indiana is not something you hear of.  I almost said "often".... but, it is Indiana. lol

We will have fun no matter where. The last time we were together was at our mom's funeral. People were waiving our behavior off due to that.  Nah. You can't take us anywhere. We know how to behave. Just choose not to.

At our age [that's our excuse now] we don't care.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, WillyBob said:

JohnJ

I enjoy a dark Heineken at room temp.

Talked to sis #2 in IN... Getting sis #3 to IN is on the table. Partying down in Indiana is not something you hear of.  I almost said "often".... but, it is Indiana. lol

We will have fun no matter where. The last time we were together was at our mom's funeral. People were waiving our behavior off due to that.  Nah. You can't take us anywhere. We know how to behave. Just choose not to.

At our age [that's our excuse now] we don't care.

where are the la scala's ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

they are in Elkhart IN... well, Bristol

Sitting at my sister's.  If the storm hits where and as hard as they predict... the party may be in Indiana. We'll have a nice stereo to listen to... lol

Or you need This for the ride down..

Just hook it up to your cell phone..

And run it to the la scala's..I

For the ride home

Main

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, dtel said:

That looks like no fun, even a category one can do alot of damage, the storm surge seems to do more to some areas. The tornados which are  usually small and short lived compared to normal tornados seem to pop up anywhere and can do even more damage within seconds being pushed along quickly.

Being without power for a few weeks is an experience in itself, it makes you think of other way of doing things which is not a bad thing. We live 10 miles from town which is by the interstate,there were probably 5 power poles left standing over those 10 miles and not many over the next 100+ miles. The police ran out of gas in 2 days and were sent home, your on your own. The military pulled into town sometime after the first week and a half and there were many people riding around on 4 wheelers checking each house and marking either the street or the house with paint to signal the status of each house as far as survivors/or not, these marking were everywhere and still on many abandoned houses in New Orleans through Mississippi.

04Kat-house-marks.jpg

Make sure you 

use the right candles

Woman blows off fingers after mistaking stick of dynamite for candle

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/woman-blows-off-fingers-mistaking-stick-dynamite-candle-020800955--abc-news-topstories.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 2