Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Maybe never @windashine if you know those characters you probably watched them, like me in the late 70s at the latest before those programs got outlawed for being a twisted definition of "violent".

My dad told me not to jump out of that tree when I was fifteen feet up because I wasn't a cartoon character. He said it was make-believe and that's different from reality, I might break a leg.

That simple wisdom is frowned upon by the know-it-alls of today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Those cartoons do not come close...

To the new or newer cartoons..

That  Gia sees on tv !

Bingo!!!

That's what I was talking about!

Tell me how many of the generation that is in its 50s now knew anyone that shot up their classroom!

Tell me how many of us in that age group know anyone that was shot in their classroom or at the movies or the mall!

It enrages me that the dim-wits blame us from that generation and not themselves.

They deny the lowest common denominator for the lack of respect of life that these "minions" have. The lack of a soul that these brainwashed young-ins have.

The thread about "Protect our Children"? did anyone there ever take a look at the teachers unions to blame for the close minded, soulless voters that they have created?

Or do they follow saul aulinsky too and worship that greatest rebeller of them all?

• Like 3

I was with you until you blamed teachers, unionized or not.  Teachers do not choose the textbooks they have to use.  Teachers do not legislate the curriculum.  Teachers do not legislate the rules that we all scoff.  State school boards do, in some cases they are elected and in some they are appointed.  They have all become politicized instead of focused on real learning.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's always easier to blame someone else for our failures. On rare occasion I watch the local news. A few days ago a couple of parents commented regarding the shootings of 7 or 8 people. These parents had finally figured it out. They said that the parents needed to do a better job of parenting. That's why things were different years ago. Parents parented. Those are your failed teachers. The parents.

I do however blame Unions for my exceptional retirement check every month and the top-notch health insurance coverage that they negotiated on my behalf.

Keith

• Like 4

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I was with you until you blamed teachers, unionized or not.  Teachers do not choose the textbooks they have to use.  Teachers do not legislate the curriculum.  Teachers do not legislate the rules that we all scoff.  State school boards do, in some cases they are elected and in some they are appointed.  They have all become politicized instead of focused on real learning.  

Read what I wrote @oldtimer I stated "unions", not the same as what you state that I stated.

There must be some good individual teachers out there I'm sure the law of averages ensures that.

A week or so ago a child here in NC was punished for replying to his bi&#h hag of a teacher "yes Ma'am and no Ma'am" PUNISHED for being polite and respectful. It's a good thing he didn't ask to go to the bathroom.

I wrote a three paragraph rant and backed out, did not post it an hour ago. I'll save it for later:wink:

"All that's required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing"

• Like 3

My wife is a teacher.

What I see happening down here. The curriculum changes every other year... looking for instant gratification. Never giving any system a chance to work. They prolly all work ... given a chance. The teachers are told what, when and how...  My wife got dinged for teaching the kids to read an analog clock and has to justify taking the kids to learn how to swim.

What I see, is pressure from state and federal.  And all the money they provide... 1/3 goes to showing where [precisely] the other 2/3 went.

they are grooming the kids to rely on computers for learning/teaching

I feel kids should be kept away from computers until they are 14 years old.

I will stop my rant right there... I feel a big 'un coming on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I stated "unions", not the same as what you state that I stated.

I had hoped you were not attacking unions.  Oh well.  Unions have been responsible for every major worker protection that most non union employees enjoy today, especially mid to lower level management.  The culture of union bashing has been promulgated by those who would rather exploit labor while they get filthy rich, as seen in todays corporations scouring the globe for new people to exploit.  You know, the cheap labor that often results in the cheap goods we deride on here all the time.  Paying people sub par wages, then encouraging them to apply for government assistance is rampant---these people are not unionized and have no collective bargaining power.  Meanwhile the taxpayer subsidizes those on top by picking up the tab of government assistance.  

Did you know that our fire codes began with union demands for a safer workplace after a disastrous fire in NYC?  bash unions all you want, but realize whose tool you are being, and if you feel comfortable being that, then so be it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I believe the root cause is a severe lack of parenting.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I blame it on needing two incomes to raise a family.

The economic basis which is also obvious.  You know that time that some yearn for a return to because they think it was great?  That was a time of greater union participation when supporting a family and building equity was possible with a good paying job with benefits.  Today's workforce is only around 10% unionized.  Some would have you believe that ten percent or so of the workforce are to blame for society's ills.  It is utter nonsense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Obviously.  So where does union blame enter into it?  Answer---it doesn't.

It's not the unions.  It's not the teachers.  It's not the government. It's the parents not teaching respect for authority and overall not teaching their children how to be good human beings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1