Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

It's the parents not teaching respect for authority and overall not teaching their children how to be good human beings. 

They should teach their children to be good human beings -- mainly by modeling good behavior, empathy, and thoughtful citizenship.

Respect for authority can be overdone.  Teaching respect for fellow human beings, including those we disagree with, and doing them, the nation and the world a favor by engaging in dialog while listening carefully, and speaking thoughtfully, rather than staying quiet, would be good.  Children should be helped to be analytical.  They should be helped to use rationalism, empiricism (including science), follow up on intuition, maintain openness (one of the ancient definitions of faith), and to evaluate authority.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

They should teach their children to be good human beings -- mainly by modeling good behavior, empathy, and thoughtful citizenship.

Respect for authority can be overdone.  Teaching respect for fellow human beings, including those we disagree with, and doing them, the nation and the world a favor by engaging in dialog while listening carefully, and speaking thoughtfully, rather than staying quiet, would be good.  Children should be helped to be analytical.  They should be helped to use rationalism, empiricism (including science), follow up on intuition, maintain openness (one of the ancient definitions of faith), and to evaluate authority.

• Like 5

Don't like the looks of this storm.....seems to have an X on Wilmington and the Outer Banks.  Talking 40' waves and 150 mph winds.  Last category 4 was Hazel in 54' a real butt kicker.  I was only 5 but recall the howling wind threatening to blow out single pane windows and water to the top of the porch. 

Got an email from BigStewMan who expressed his concern.  LF and Jake will head over to her mother in laws place in the next county (generator and no trees).  That will leave me to keep an eye on our two places (both with large trees).....about 10 minutes apart.

She will buy some provisions for both places today while I get some premixed chain saw gas and secure anything loose.

Just thinking out loud gents........

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

45 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Don't like the looks of this storm.....seems to have an X on Wilmington and the Outer Banks.  Talking 40' waves and 150 mph winds.  Last category 4 was Hazel in 54' a real butt kicker.  I was only 5 but recall the howling wind threatening to blow out single pane windows and water to the top of the porch. 

Got an email from BigStewMan who expressed his concern.  LF and Jake will head over to her mother in laws place in the next county (generator and no trees).  That will leave me to keep an eye on our two places (both with large trees).....about 10 minutes apart.

She will buy some provisions for both places today while I get some premixed chain saw gas and secure anything loose.

Good luck man, I'd probably pick one of the two spots and hunker down when it really gets nasty. Up my way we have already had a ton of rain. Just a week ago 3 people in the county got washed away at an overflowing bridge and died. It is simple amazing the force water has. Roads I ride my bike on are missing huge chunks of asphalt. It was just a heavy rain noting more. Ground is saturated, sump pump running all the time. Unless we really dry out prior to Florence and the Machine taking the stage I'm really not sure what will happen with the resultant water. I'm not too worried about actual hurricane winds, but the water has no place to go. For the first time ever I'm actually thinking of what to do with my equipment in the basement. Scary.

Be safe and best of luck. You do look like you are a prime suspect for this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hunker down @Tarheel

stay safe

we're winging it... but looks like the NC leg of the trip may get terminated. Particularly the beach.

I'm about ready to get under way. May not get passed LasCruces. I am invited to dine and overnight. Not much of a first day on the road. Not that I don't have 3 days... but damn... 600 miles a day ain't getting anywhere. It's only 30hrs driving time.

It gonna take a shoe horn to get the Scalas in this car w/o tearing stuff up. They will fit. With an inch or two to spare.  I thought about packing a bag . Dashed that. Grocery bags.. No room for anything hard or of size.

No i-phone... y'all will be spared of me for a little. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have reservations at a B&B on the Outer Banks for the 26-29th.  That may have to be canceled........

With the amount of water coming......flooding is a concern for sure.  Most folks here don't have it unless they are on the coast.  Will call my insurance agent and see if they are still writing policies.  Usually not within 72 hours of a hurricane.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

A prayer and some good vibes sent your way Chuck. This looks like the real deal. Stay safe and good luck.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Hunker down @Tarheel

stay safe

we're winging it... but looks like the NC leg of the trip may get terminated. Particularly the beach.

I'm about ready to get under way. May not get passed LasCruces. I am invited to dine and overnight. Not much of a first day on the road. Not that I don't have 3 days... but damn... 600 miles a day ain't getting anywhere. It's only 30hrs driving time.

It gonna take a shoe horn to get the Scalas in this car w/o tearing stuff up. They will fit. With an inch or two to spare.  I thought about packing a bag . Dashed that. Grocery bags.. No room for anything hard or of size.

No i-phone... y'all will be spared of me for a little. 

Good luck and happy traveling 😀

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

With the amount of water coming......flooding is a concern for sure.  Most folks here don't have it unless they are on the coast.  Will call my insurance agent and see if they are still writing policies.  Usually not within 72 hours of a hurricane.

No way you'll get a policy now.

• Like 1

@Tarheel since the bulls eye changed from central SC coast towards you it has been pretty much the same. Fran comes to mind. Everybody from around here knows of Hazel, my mother tells me stories of it at Flora McDonald college in the sandhills near you. You on the mainland? If not go with your gal to her family's if that's where they are. 

Still four days out, a lot can change. Almost eleven am and it's not in the gulf stream yet either. Right now I'm just looking at us being on the weak side of it, that isn't exempt from twisters though.

Heck I'll put you up here, but you know the drive west on 74 is a pisser from where you are since it's not an interstate.

* 11:00am it's a cat 3 now

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1