Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

In 1964 the 389 GTO was the only game in town for GM.

In 1965 the new 400 cubed 442 and also the introduction of the 396 by Chevrolet was a better option to me.

Buick was still using a 401 nailhead labeled as a 400 in the Gran Sport.

The 1965 GTO was the best looking to me with the stacked headlights design.

I always thought GTO's had the best interiors as well.

image.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davis said:

In 1964 the 389 GTO was the only game in town for GM.

In 1965 the new 400 cubed 442 and also the introduction of the 396 by Chevrolet was a better option to me.

Buick was still using a 401 nailhead labeled as a 400 in the Gran Sport.

The 1965 GTO was the best looking to me with the stacked headlights design.

I always thought GTO's had the best interiors as well.

sure, sure.  I hear you, and have no discussion on any of those.  I've drooled over them all for all my life.  maybe my most favorite car that I did own was my '70 2 dr Cutlass Supreme, 350, 4bbl, console auto. looked like this one except I had the plain Jane hood.  (this style probably for the 442 & the SX in the pic.  but as I was born in '60, by the time I was driving in '76, there weren't too many form the era of which we love so much left when I was able to afford them.  oh well.  I still hold out hope.  maybe, one of these days...

70 olds sx455.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, -js- said:

that's cool.

while I've seen a few in person & have read about them I guess all my life - I am.  what's not to impress from 389 ci with 3 deuces on top of it just itching for a fight, lol?

=== my wife’s cousins’ husband, an avid car collector/ builder, just passed last weekend and being we are more friends than relatives, I was asked to drive his restored ‘65 GTO, 389 triple deuce in his funeral procession. A sad day for sure but I understand there will be many of this type car in the procession. Along with his Fords - Mid-50’s Crown Vic, Mid-60’s Galaxy and ‘55 T-Bird. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

… here's two lol, my 49 nash airflyte with a flathead 6, my daily driver in the early 2000's with a backseat that folded down to a double bed - I sold it to a guy who complained about the brakes, nevertheless, I saw this out at the Goodguys show racing it around the cone's about 5 year's later, I'll swear that' was my old car, sans the wax, I remember the fender scratches lol.... looked like he didn't change a thing, .... I'm pretty sure the guy in the passenger seat needed a coffee to sober up afterwards lol

IMG_0933 (2).JPG

nashRF.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, -js- said:

that's cool.

while I've seen a few in person & have read about them I guess all my life - I am.  what's not to impress from 389 ci with 3 deuces on top of it just itching for a fight, lol?

That is what I rode in for possibly 60 to 100 hours back in the day. One of my best friends dad had one, 1965 Matte Dark Green, Balanced & Blueprinted 389 tri-power.

@Davis this one would have impressed you, built by one of the more respected Racing Companies here in the heart of N. ascar C. ountry back when it was the CocaCola World 600. Jenkins & Jenkins built that motor, it was quiet going normally, when stepped on it would literally rattle windows.

Blow the doors of a `69 RS\SS 396/425 4spd Camaro without getting hot I'd bet!

Not sure about that same engine, tranny with two fours in a Chevelle though, those suckers would fly too!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, -js- said:

sure, sure.  I hear you, and have no discussion on any of those.  I've drooled over them all for all my life.  maybe my most favorite car that I did own was my '70 2 dr Cutlass Supreme, 350, 4bbl, console auto. looked like this one except I had the plain Jane hood.  (this style probably for the 442 & the SX in the pic.  but as I was born in '60, by the time I was driving in '76, there weren't too many form the era of which we love so much left when I was able to afford them.  oh well.  I still hold out hope.  maybe, one of these days...

70 olds sx455.jpg

By 74' it was pretty much over or a decade.  Emissions and how to deal with them along with hideous "safety" bumpers spelled the end for car enthusiast of that era.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

By 74' it was pretty much over or a decade.  Emissions and how to deal with them along with hideous "safety" bumpers spelled the end for car enthusiast of that era.

for the most part, yes.  there were still a few around.  remember our late hero's car BAN ONE was a '77 T/A.  they had 400 in engines up until... 79, 80, maybe a little longer.  they were "smog motors" but they were large displacement that could be "improved upon".  but these were the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tarheel said:

Funny though....now you can buy a turbocharged 4 banger with better 0-60 times than some of our muscle cars.

Yea but they're similar to soulless music to me. I'd rather have total control over the machine and feel it talking back to me. I'm old and stuck in my ways!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Funny though....now you can buy a turbocharged 4 banger with better 0-60 times than some of our muscle cars.

yep, you're right.  oh, I need me some o that.  nah, I'll pass.  keep my coin, and my Impala daily driver and save for more antique style furniture, a center channel & some subs.

• Like 3

my check engine light came back on, after I reset it two weeks ago, the code said it was the knock sensor after I looked up the number.  I thought premium gas would fix it, but it seems the GM engineers thought it was a better idea to take off the top half of the engine so they put it under the LS intake assemble.  I always wanted to put a supercharger on my Silverado... I think that time is near.... Is nearer a word for do gooders lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, windashine said:

my check engine light came back on, after I reset it two weeks ago, the code said it was the knock sensor after I looked up the number.  I thought premium gas would fix it, but it seems the GM engineers thought it was a better idea to take off the top half of the engine so they put it under the LS intake assemble.  I always wanted to put a supercharger on my Silverado... I think that time is near.... Is nearer a word for do gooders lol

Cadillac used to put the starter between the cylinder heads under the intake manifold.  Yea, that was a great piece of engineering.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1