Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Miss my Silverado, don't ever let go of it or you will too. Knock sensor as in one of those pesky oem-only works oxygen sensors like my LT-1 had?

I only use OEM for any brand vehicle when it comes to sensors.  Aftermarket ones will have you chasing your tail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, windashine said:

my check engine light came back on, after I reset it two weeks ago, the code said it was the knock sensor after I looked up the number.  I thought premium gas would fix it, but it seems the GM engineers thought it was a better idea to take off the top half of the engine so they put it under the LS intake assemble.  I always wanted to put a supercharger on my Silverado... I think that time is near.... Is nearer a word for do gooders lol

They did the same thing on my old Pathfinder, put it under the intake manifold. I just cut the cable, bolted a new knock sensor to the top of the manifold then soldered the connections back. I figured the knock would go through the manifold and trip the sensor anyway and it seems to work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Cadillac used to put the starter between the cylinder heads under the intake manifold.  Yea, that was a great piece of engineering.

Its like the Northstar engine, they know the LS is superior but it needs to be a 'special' engine for the Cadillac badge...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davis said:

The 1970 442 and 1972 Hurst/Olds Indy 500 pace cars are a couple I would enjoy to own.

I had a 1969 442, and a 1971 Cutlass. Would love to get another of either one.

2 hours ago, windashine said:

my check engine light came back on, after I reset it two weeks ago, the code said it was the knock sensor after I looked up the number.  I thought premium gas would fix it, but it seems the GM engineers thought it was a better idea to take off the top half of the engine so they put it under the LS intake assemble.  I always wanted to put a supercharger on my Silverado... I think that time is near.... Is nearer a word for do gooders lol

What year Silverado?

56 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Alfa Romeo is where the soul lies.

I've driven a few early 90s Alfas....the Spider was a fun little car, but the 164 would move nicely.

• Like 3

Singing this from the time I hit LasCruces

Will elaborate after I gather my wit.  tried to sleep in Hereford TX.... one travel hint... don't do that, unless you REALLY REALLY like the smell of feedlots and trains. I left at 2 AM... Expensive bed and toilet. Would have been better off in an hourly rate motel..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Alfa Romeo is where the soul lies.

Especially if it's one of those 5 speeds with a one barrel for each cylinder sitting on top of the engine. Had a friend with one of those for a while, a straight six..... and they called the Camaro "the Hugger" in the mid 70s that Alpha could hang in the curves very well. Heck it could turn 90 degrees at 45mph without the tires breaking (chirping).

** and I wrote this before I saw that you mentioned the exact same thing above!

Edited by JohnJ

anyone have experience with RainX? I suspect it was applied to the windshield of this Nissan. Wipers clean the water off good... except for a film that glares. I had to drive thru some rain and it was a pita. Couldn't see for dookie.

Was thinking of cleaning it with straight vinegar.. I presume it is some kind of silicone. Alcohol would be option #2

Wife drew a wtf look from me when she asked if I had the Scalas unloaded after being up all night and behind the wheel at 2AM and driving for 12 hours...

I have a serious feeling they are going to go into the doghouse... She doesn't appreciate music the way I do.

talking motors

you folks seen a pre EFI 90HP Honda outboard? It's an Accord block with 4 carbs. I suppose is has more torque than the car motor. I haven't seen the specs to compare them. Marine motors tend to rate fuel consumption be gallons/hour. But, if your car gets 15mpg is consumes 4gallon/hour.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Does it have a 5.3 liter? Pretty good engine.

I have the 4.8 - it's about 327 ci - that's all I could find when I was looking, considering the prices, my civic was totaled out front of my house overnight after Christmas a couple of year's ago.  I got the lowest mile truck I could find based on my insurance check.  The first month I had it, the PRNDL light disappeared, that first spring, I got hit with hail, over the summer, the a/c diverted valve went haywire, I went to see a movie and someone stole my JVC radio I had installed, the tailgate handle broke once lol... it's an extended cab, one of those door handles broke too, alternator went out once, water pump expired, had to get a new serpentine belt too, both heater core line's started leaking at the firewall, glove box handle broke, when I had it re-painted for a hail claim, it looked like a new truck, then I found three door dings in the passenger door, down to the primer lol, oh yeah, I replaced the battery, put a new windshield washer bottle in there with a new pump, had my driver seat reupholstered, and the trailer hitch fell off last week, I think someone tried to steel it, and left one bolt.  now this dang engine light... I'm going to find out why it's knocking before I replace the sensor.  I found the leaking heater hoses after I got a code on the dash light saying my number 8 coil was out.  Thank Heavens Auto Zone read's the codes for free, but I won't buy another part again without taking the expired part off first, because that drip leak made the new coil go out.  I'm pretty sure something else will break soon, but it still feel's like a new truck to me, I like working on old chevy's.  Oh yeah, I didn't like my Silverado sitting lower than my neighbors F-150, so I found a 2 inch front lift kit.  I returned to the shop and had them remove the dang things, because it was weird bouncing down the street.  Ended up buying new shocks too, kept those.  I drive carefully.

I would of rather had a 5.3, but read where the 4.8 had the same bore, just a shorter stroke...

• Like 3

Hey Dave

Was clearing the caller ID and saw a couple calls from OH... First thought was stepson, then you... Steeeeee-rike 2. It was someone trying to collect on wife's student loans.   teachers don't make enough money to pay student loans . lol

wife commented about being able to listen to music when she's at work...  She is retiring at the end of this season [May]... then what?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, windashine said:

I have the 4.8 - it's about 327 ci - that's all I could find when I was looking, considering the prices, my civic was totaled out front of my house overnight after Christmas a couple of year's ago.  I got the lowest mile truck I could find based on my insurance check.  The first month I had it, the PRNDL light disappeared, that first spring, I got hit with hail, over the summer, the a/c diverted valve went haywire, I went to see a movie and someone stole my JVC radio I had installed, the tailgate handle broke once lol... it's an extended cab, one of those door handles broke too, alternator went out once, water pump expired, had to get a new serpentine belt too, both heater core line's started leaking at the firewall, glove box handle broke, when I had it re-painted for a hail claim, it looked like a new truck, then I found three door dings in the passenger door, down to the primer lol, oh yeah, I replaced the battery, put a new windshield washer bottle in there with a new pump, had my driver seat reupholstered, and the trailer hitch fell off last week, I think someone tried to steel it, and left one bolt.  now this dang engine light... I'm going to find out why it's knocking before I replace the sensor.  I found the leaking heater hoses after I got a code on the dash light saying my number 8 coil was out.  Thank Heavens Auto Zone read's the codes for free, but I won't buy another part again without taking the expired part off first, because that drip leak made the new coil go out.  I'm pretty sure something else will break soon, but it still feel's like a new truck to me, I like working on old chevy's.  Oh yeah, I didn't like my Silverado sitting lower than my neighbors F-150, so I found a 2 inch front lift kit.  I returned to the shop and had them remove the dang things, because it was weird bouncing down the street.  Ended up buying new shocks too, kept those.  I drive carefully.

I would of rather had a 5.3, but read where the 4.8 had the same bore, just a shorter stroke...

4.8 liter is about 293 cubic inches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Hey Dave

Was clearing the caller ID and saw a couple calls from OH... First thought was stepson, then you... Steeeeee-rike 2. It was someone trying to collect on wife's student loans.   teachers don't make enough money to pay student loans . lol

Student loans?  I'm thankful I was done when those started.  My youngest...  I have NO IDEA how that's gonna transpire! If your wife does have any extra you can send it this way though!  Easy peasy unloading those tough guy!    :)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Cadillac used to put the starter between the cylinder heads under the intake manifold.  Yea, that was a great piece of engineering.

It really was, they rarely went bad and they were not as hard to replace as it sounds.

Oldsmobile designed.

• Like 2