Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

It's not one of those pretty heaters but it will run you out of here if I forget to dampen it down after lighting. I would like to replace it with one of those models with the glass doors so you can see the fire. We bought this one new 20 years ago and it's doing fine, about 1 inch of sand on the bottom keeps the bottom from burning out.  

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I think they use white oak.  It smells and looks a little different that red oak.

Might be, I broke up a couple once to burn outside and it was so tough I couldn't pull out the nails, ended up burning and picking up the nails after.

• Like 2

Just now, dtel said:

It's not one of those pretty heaters but it will run you out of here if I forget to dampen it down after lighting. I would like to replace it with one of those models with the glass doors so you can see the fire. We bought this one new 20 years ago and it's doing fine, about 1 inch of sand on the bottom keeps the bottom from burning out.  

We have an Englander fireplace insert in the house.  It has a fan that forces air around the unit and puts out tons of heat.  It's efficient as well.  You can stuff it full and get at least 8 hours of really hot air out of it.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

We have an Englander fireplace insert in the house.  It has a fan that forces air around the unit and puts out tons of heat.  It's efficient as well.  You can stuff it full and get at least 8 hours of really hot air out of it.

A brother in law had one like that, it fit in the fireplace opening and had a blower with vents on the front sides. They work very well and efficient, you can freeze to death with a fireplace.  His blower fan would move a curtain on the other side of the room, it only blew the air from between the metal chambers surrounding the fire area so there were no fumes in the house, this is probably a standard design with those I guess.

• Like 2

When I lived in the suburbs of downtown Lone Oak, TX I had a free standing wood stove. I fed it once a day after work, took about 3/4 cord a year, had to have the window cracked a bit with damper barely cracked and fans off. Yes, I see the required water pots to humidify on yours.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lone+Oak,+TX+75453/@33.00572,-95.8514085,235m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864bd90839b56397:0x43fdf629fdb4f2ca!8m2!3d32.9967846!4d-95.9402451

A fireplace is VERY inefficient, all the warm air is draft out the chimney. Granddad had a 4' fireplace on a 20' harth. Sit close and burn...back up and be cold.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

When I lived in the suburbs of downtown Lone Oak, TX I had a free standing wood stove. I fed it once a day after work, took about 3/4 cord a year, had to have the window cracked a bit with damper barely cracked and fans off. Yes, I see the required water pots to humidify on yours.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lone+Oak,+TX+75453/@33.00572,-95.8514085,235m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864bd90839b56397:0x43fdf629fdb4f2ca!8m2!3d32.9967846!4d-95.9402451

That's about how much we use a year on average, yes one of the pots are for water. We use to have a screen door on the front also so we could leave the normal door open. I need to get another screen door, it worked great to not keep it so warm if I didn't pay attention, I keep the damper as closed as I can without smoke going inside. And a few smoke detectors around just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Is that the back of your house ?            We have seen the front driveway you were working on, if that's the back it's a million $ + view that probably cost much more than the price of the view. The top of a mountain doesn't come cheap, especially in California.

The one with me holding the shovel is the back, others are side and front. BTW I'm not on the top. Wish I were, many less drainage problems at the top:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

image.jpeg

Home is where the heart(h) is:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, babadono said:

The one with me holding the shovel is the back, others are side and front. BTW I'm not on the top. Wish I were, many less drainage problems at the top:)

That is a great looking yard with an amazing view, what is the altitude, I would guess pretty high.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Very nice, you must at times just go sit out in the yard thinking how lucky you are to have a view like that. I know luck never had anything to do with the price but even at any price most do not have a view like that. 

• Like 2

too early for orange golf balls? 

We're seeing sub-normal temps, too.  Barely broke 60 yesterday... started at 28`.  Yes, the fireplace is in operation. Don't have to go to the kitchen for more mud. Pot keeps good on the woodstove... in living room.

been out of sorts lately.  Getting my snarl on for winter.  SAD gets me.  12 hr of dark is about as much as I can handle.... The cold is just re-enforcement to my feeling bad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

too early for orange golf balls? 

We're seeing sub-normal temps, too.  Barely broke 60 yesterday... started at 28`.  Yes, the fireplace is in operation. Don't have to go to the kitchen for more mud. Pot keeps good on the woodstove... in living room.

been out of sorts lately.  Getting my snarl on for winter.  SAD gets me.  12 hr of dark is about as much as I can handle.... The cold is just re-enforcement to my feeling bad.

Crank up those wonderful La Scalas, that will cheer you up.

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

been out of sorts lately

More out of sorts than normal :lol: wow you're giving us abnormal people a bad name. You're not alone, there are more of us than normal people cheer up, or be scared either way your good.

If all else fails remember you have a wife that puts up with you, LaScalas and a Sarong !  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1