Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

15 hours ago, windashine said:

Your garage looks a lot better as it is than mine lol... but it's close, 40 yr's old,  20x20 detached flat top garage (with a 1 inch slope to the alley) on 24 inch centers... with that T1-11 5/8" plywood siding, roll tar roof... if I ever come over, I'll first check to see that you leveled your shelves lol....

T 1 11 siding here too.  This is why I'm insulating so heavily. It's sunny, breezy and 60 degrees outside presently.  This is the South wall.

20181202_095855.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

T 1 11 siding here too.  This is why I'm insulating so heavily. It's sunny, breezy and 60 degrees outside presently.  This is the South wall.

20181202_095855.jpg

Why is it 40 degrees hotter on the inside like that? It might pay you to pull the T111 off and add an insulation board to the outside then re-install the wood siding, at least on the sunny side.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Why is it 40 degrees hotter on the inside like that? It might pay you to pull the T111 off and add an insulation board to the outside then re-install the wood siding, at least on the sunny side.

That's what the spray insulation is for.  That's also why that wall will get 5 inches of foam instead of 3 1/2.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's what the spray insulation is for.  That's also why that wall will get 5 inches of foam instead of 3 1/2.

All that spray foam will make a huge difference, but it seems like the inside of that wall being 40 degrees warmer on a day that isn't that hot seems odd. And your siding isn't a hot color. Is that felt paper behind the siding? The outside of the felt might be warmer than the inside.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

All that spray foam will make a huge difference, but it seems like the inside of that wall being 40 degrees warmer on a day that isn't that hot seems odd. And your siding isn't a hot color. Is that felt paper behind the siding? The outside of the felt might be warmer than the inside.

The sun is brutal down here.  Uninsulated metal buildings will burn you if you touch the inside of the south wall.  

Yes, the felt is behind the siding.  Right now it's 74 degrees in the shade and the outside surface of that wall is 156 degrees.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Insane!  

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes, that does seem extreme. It's not even hot outside there. 

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The sun is brutal down here.

There's the answer, were a little to close to the sun, we don't really insulate for winter down here, it's all for summer.

Could you imagine down by the equator? I say this because we have left here in Jan or Feb when it was in the 30-50's average and went to Mexico about 684 miles South and it was in the mid 80's there. The equator is about 2060 miles South of here, a little to close to the sun for me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

We had free Snurfers, as my father worked for Brunswick, which made Snurfers under license from the inventor, Sherman Poppen.   My younger brother used them.  I never tried to master it.

there was no "mastering" it. if you hit a bump, you were off.  Was fun when the "big high school" boys would want to try it [I was a punk jr high kid]. Didn't give them much exercise. If they made 20ft, they were doing good.

I had one of the fancy wooden ones with a metal rudder/skeg/keel and tire studs to stand on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Had enough time between church and the Texans game to start the framing.  After the game we bowl so this is it for the weekend.  That's why my projects take so long.  Lol.

20181202_115749.jpg

=== simple enough. Stop praying, quit bowling. Git sumptin’ done — 

• Haha 4

Time for a cocktail. Spent 6 hours in the ER with daughter today. She took a spill off a skateboard and attempted to stop a face plant ending up breaking her wrist. Temp soft cast until the orthopedic surgeon visit. Some stern warnings about keeping it immobilized due to the bone having one blood vessel and if it detaches.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 4