Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

First of all, please avoid contaminating or threatening this venerable thread with politics.

That billboard above is funny, but not necessarily incorrect.  As an attorney, specifically a former prosecutor, IMO, the sentiment expressed in that billboard is correct.  Laypersons, especially the media, frequently fail to grasp the legal meanings of the words innocent or guilty. As Mr. Archie indicates, you’re not legally guilty unless and until the state sustains its appropriately high burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  That definition of guilty does not mean you’re innocent if found not guilty.  If a jury finds you not guilty, it does not mean you’re necessarily innocent, but, at a minimum, you’re not legally guilty.  It drives me nuts when the media reports that a defendant was found innocent by a jury; that can’t happen.  Whether you’re innocent or not is between you, your conscience and your God.  Nothing other men and women can do can alter that.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Your right, but most people judge things in their minds and really consider very few technicalities as a lawyer would, much more in a general decision using limited facts.

Couldn't find the cartoon but it was 2 men on each side of a table one being the attorney who asked the other "how innocent can you afford to be" ? 

Edit; post can just be hidden or deleted, if it turns political before closing over 2000 pages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

post can just be hidden or deleted, if it turns political before closing over 2000 pages

Coffee - nope... can never go away.....

oh wait... Cables are first...… well, pretty much here to stay.... 

Cocktail's….  Undoubtedly a staple for life with little debate.... other than  hot & raw or ice cold slushies...

Construction.... a seldom deliberated debate over form and function.... ie…. garage door cable's and speakers on raw concrete...

Conundrum… I've never used this word lol and as is such with the original origin is unknown....

Contaminating…. Filling your house up with too many speakers... not really a problem.. o O (we always need a perspective)

Could vs confusing..., and as an alternative to can suggesting less force or certainty or as a polite form in the present.

Cantue… this word isn't in the dictionary and any suggestions that come to mind, please note your cable gauge before or after coffee, then again, once the cocktails settle.....

• Like 3

On 12/12/2018 at 7:35 AM, DizRotus said:

First of all, please avoid contaminating or threatening this venerable thread with politics.

That billboard above is funny, but not necessarily incorrect.  As an attorney, specifically a former prosecutor, IMO, the sentiment expressed in that billboard is correct.  Laypersons, especially the media, frequently fail to grasp the legal meanings of the words innocent or guilty. As Mr. Archie indicates, you’re not legally guilty unless and until the state sustains its appropriately high burden of proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  That definition of guilty does not mean you’re innocent if found not guilty.  If a jury finds you not guilty, it does not mean you’re necessarily innocent, but, at a minimum, you’re not legally guilty.  It drives me nuts when the media reports that a defendant was found innocent by a jury; that can’t happen.  Whether you’re innocent or not is between you, your conscience and your God.  Nothing other men and women can do can alter that.

This is correct.  Also, "Just because you did it does not mean you are guilty" can refer to lack of mens rea.  For example, knowingly receiving stolen property requires knowledge by the recipient that the property is stolen.  Simply receiving stolen property is not a crime.  In addition, some criminal statutes are Unconstitutional.  They can be Unconstitutional because they are vague or because they violate rights.  The anti-sodomy laws are examples.  Finally, there can be affirmative defenses, such as self-defense.  Just because you shot the robber, it doesn't mean you're guilty.

• Like 3

=== I’ll use the “cable” portion of the thread to say I’ve found IC’s that offer the “ultimate in detail and transparency” from Mathew Bond Cables. One meter, around 3 feet for us ‘Mericans @$24,000.00/pr. I figured I can re-cable my obviously crappy rig for $72K. I’ll suggest this to the wife - I could use a nice stocking stuffer this year — 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Walking out the door, heading South to Lafayette, really need some good sausage. :o But really just going to help a friend set up his HT, he had Khorns as mains in his house and will add a center and 2 rear speakers and a sub, should be good. Except for driving in the rain for 3 hours.

Be back in a few days if I find something interesting I will post.

• Like 3