Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

In the 90s I saw theses all over the place in Central FL @WillyBob

2003-chevrolet-ssr-14w.jpg

Think they had the F-body (aluminum) LT-1

Dodge did the 10 cylinder Viper that was raw and literally vibrated you in your truck from across the intersection when they stomped it. But they weren't as accessible as that Chevy. These were definitely made with the retro angle in mind. Not quite like the soap-box-derby deuce coupe look. 

Probably more that I've forgot, I actually saw a couple of VW "Things" still being used when I was down there, remember them?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

In the 90s I saw theses all over the place in Central FL

My brother still has one in lemon yellow.  Recently he had the rear diff gears changed and it'll really scoot off the line now.  It always had good power but too much of a highway gear from the factory.

• Like 1

… a pic of my 52 this summer... I have to have runningboards… but I would never do like I did 40 year's ago on ice one day, on the way to work... I got stuck on a slight incline up to a railroad track... so I left it in gear with the wheel (no posi) spinning... and stood on the runningboard and held the steering wheel, and pushed like on a skateboard and it worked lol... just jumped back in, shut the door.. and kept going. . o O (thank god for hot coffee on a cold morning in a home made wooden holder)

DSC00745.JPG

• Haha 2

You know if the LS2 had the reverse flow cooling like the early LT-1s ?

My 9C1 could be driven pretty hard when it was hot. No problem, just turn on the AC the coolant went to the intake first instead of the heads and I could watch the engine temp go down just like the gas guage did in my `73 Charger!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davis said:

In typical GM fashion they got the powertrain right in 2005 for the SSR with a 6.0 LS2 and Tremec manual transmission then axed it in 2006.

Like my 87 Grand National.  GM was selling every one they could make prior to hitting the dealership at sticker or sticker plus and they quit making them.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Like my 87 Grand National.  GM was selling every one they could make prior to hitting the dealership at sticker or sticker plus and they quit making them.

The Grand National was killed off by the front wheel drive Regal.

They extended GN production until December to make as many as possible.

Living in a GM town of 20,000 employees (back in the day) to an overall population of 100,000 people there are quite a few of them still around.

I remember in 1987 the local dealer Heckman Buick had 25 Grand nationals all sitting in a row on the new car lot.

Wish I would have gotten a pic of that.

• Like 2

I was really considering selling my 1987 Regal Turbo T last year.

Glad I decided not to.

The market has really turned back up for this vehicle, that wasn't the reason for keeping it.

My biggest delimma is I have a bunch of go fast parts for it, but finding a nice unmodified or one with limited mods is getting harder to find where as highly modded ones are easier to find.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

A very long time ago, in a different life, I was running a Buick/Chevy/Olds/Caddy dealership (very small hometown lots) but in 84/85/86 I probably sold more Grand nationals/ T Type's and Vettes than the largest dealerships in the Pa./New York/New Jersey.  I dealer traded constantly and at one point I think I had 9 or 10 GN's and T Types in a row and could ask whatever I wanted for them.  They were a wonderful and dangerous car.  Quite a few that we sold got wrapped around something when purchasers thought that it was built to brake and corner, which it was not, that's what the vettes were for.  I remember the first time I took an off ramp doing about 90 and it stuck, that was impressive.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Always wanted a grand national and or a late 90s SS impala. 

A co-worker had an SS Impala the same time I had my GN.  I think it had a carbureted 305 but don't quote me on that.  He was always bragging what a beast it was till we lined up one time.  I had put a Kenne Bell chip in mine, ran octane booster and gutted the cats.  The darn stock automatic would chirp the tires going from 2'nd to 3'rd.

• Like 2

Just now, CECAA850 said:

A co-worker had an SS Impala the same time I had my GN.  I think it had a carbureted 305 but don't quote me on that.  He was always bragging what a beast it was till we lined up one time.  I had put a Kenne Bell chip in mine, ran octane booster and gutted the cats.  The darn stock automatic would chirp the tires going from 2'nd to 3'rd.

=== the SS was more for show than go I believe. And it did look cool. Apparently you did, and should have, smoked the SS?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== the SS was more for show than go I believe. And it did look cool. Apparently you did, and should have, smoked the SS?

Show, not go indeed.   I just always liked the long stretched body personally.   Many cars I would much rather have, just Two that were relevant to the discussion at hand.   That grand national should have murdered that SS haha.   If it didn't, you had serious boost leaak or perhaps rod knock? 😏

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richieb said:

Apparently you did, and should have, smoked the SS?

We did a rolling run.  It was kind of like when you're watching a parachute video and one guy pulls the cord when we both hit it.  Now that I think about it, he had an SS Monte Carlo, not an Impala.  I've slept a couple times since then.

• Like 1

I went through a brief period when I had some collector cars.  A 1953 Buick Special, 1956 Packard Clipper Deluxe and a 1960 Chevrolet Bel-Air.  They say, "They don't build them like they used to."  Thank God!  I am glad to be rid of those cars.  They looked neat, but they really are built pretty bad.  We've come a long way since those days.

• Like 1