Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Worked on a new counter space for out by the bar. Not that a party happens alot but every time it did we ran out of space to put things. People bring food and chips and things plus stuff to make drinks and the only place to put everything was either on the bar or the other two small round tables. So I have been wanting to add extra counter space around a sink that was out there. So I moved where the sink went and added to it.

So I started on this, it's 12' across and should hold everything, plus I will add a couple extra electrical outlets so the blender and or crockpots can be used, instead of on the bar or having to set up a plastic table. 

It has a good ways to go but it's a start, it's all ground contact wood with the counter made from 2 , 2x12's with a 2x4 in between to get the depth, they were ran on the joiner to have no cracks and will be sanded smooth and covered with many coats of marine Spar varnish like the main bar. 

I-pad picture from a couple of days ago 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel said:

What is Mexican Shepard's pie, I know of the normal version. 

Mashed potatoes, taco seasoned hamburger, sour cream, shredded cheddar, and cilantro rolled in a flour tortilla and baked in green enchilada sauce.

technically, they are enchilada style mashed potato and hamburger burritos in green enchilada sauce.

My own recipe. You don't see mashed on Mexican food list.

folks seem to like them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Sounds good, but I do eat almost anything. Were having something similar tonight, but without the potatoes, cilantro and green enchilada sauce.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Man you're handy dtel.  I wish Carl could do stuff like that.

Here we go, me too, all he can do is build subs and remodel bathrooms, plus slushies. :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

Sounds good, but I do eat almost anything. Were having something similar tonight, but without the potatoes, cilantro and green enchilada sauce.

Here we go, me too, all he can do is build subs and remodel bathrooms, plus slushies. :P 

And garages.

• Like 2

Any of you Gents use a humidifier for mold/mildew control?  Got a little mold upstairs but house has been empty for 6 months.  HVAC systems are suppose to do that right?

Home Depot has them for around $200 that supposedly takes care of 2500sq ft.  Would that take care of both floors if centrally placed?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Any of you Gents use a humidifier for mold/mildew control?  Got a little mold upstairs but house has been empty for 6 months.  HVAC systems are suppose to do that right?

Home Depot has them for around $200 that supposedly takes care of 2500sq ft.  Would that take care of both floors if centrally placed?

Never used one but did read up on them and experience one when working on the Museum basement. I would have thought the AC should have kept the humidity low enough to prevent that.

That should work, centrally located. But one important thing is the water it collects, it is way more than you would expect. It is important to get a unit that has a drain line and not a container that has to be emptied every day.  Let it drain into a shower, tub drain if nothing else, you do not want to have to go empty it every day, they can collect a couple of gallons a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I think you want a dehumidifier.

Your HVAC will control the humidity but it must run for longer periods of time like in the summer months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Like Davis said, you need a dehumidifier. If you see mold, you can kill it with vinegar, safer than bleach. Is your home on a crawl space? If so, you might inspect it. Mold tends to start at the lowest level and grow upwards. During the last storm there, did you get much water entering your home? Don't mess with mold, it can be very dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like the last couple of guys said  ?Humidifier?:wacko2:

Here in NC?

Damp Rid is a no-go for me they have changed it so much it doesn't do c*^p anymore. Not like in Cent FL in the 2000s. I spent $10-$15 a month since `03 when I came back here. Three years ago I bought a three bill DE-humidifier that works pretty good. Thing is used overnight three or four nights a week our duke pwr bill went up. Makes the ac run more too because I put it near the air return. The dry air they put out is warmer than what's in the room. Not as bad in the cool months, ran ours last night with the 80%+ humidity we've had again this week. Like to keep it in the mid 40% range for the piano here.

Mold can be very expensive!

Nip it in the bud Barney!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Chuck,

Did you mean dehumidifier?  

• Thanks 1

Mold needs three items to grow, moisture, temps between 70-90, and a food source. They will eat anything, but love wood, wallboard, and fibers (cloth)

If you find water puddles, try to shove it around, dissipate it. You can spray the wet areas with a solution of vinegar/water, that will help to keep any mold from growing.

• Thanks 1