Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

10 hours ago, T2K said:

You probably even still use cash you old codger. Checking in at a hotel in Nashville a week ago and the clerk says 'we don't accept cash'. I busted out laughing. WTF

Keith

How are you doing my friend?

I admit to never using an ATM.  My new to me car is way too smart.  It's got a zillion features that a more inquisitive person would be pouring over the manual for hours.....not me.  I just want to start it and drive.  Carl would have the whole manual dissected and digested before he got behind the wheel😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Carl would have the whole manual dissected and digested before he got behind the wheel

I still prefer my cars to be used as instruments of driving as opposed to entertainment.  I don't even need a radio if the exhaust sounds good.  That's music enough to my ears.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't even need a radio if the exhaust sounds good.  That's music enough to my ears.

After my own heart, you are. I've been told that as an infant they would put me on the flat spot between the seats of the T-Bird and drive around the block a couple of times to put me under.

Last good car had a Dr. Gas X-pipe right where the pipes got the hottest after leaving the manifolds of that 16 valve LT-1 connected to Flowmaster 50s... the truck type I believe that were the same as the 40s but not obnoxious when idling.

But a 396 with pop-tops and a wild cam or an early 70s 440 does not calm me down at all!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I've been told that as an infant they would put me on the flat spot between the seats of the T-Bird and drive around the block a couple of times to put me under.

That still works, or at least it did when my kids were small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

After my own heart, you are. I've been told that as an infant they would put me on the flat spot between the seats of the T-Bird and drive around the block a couple of times to put me under.

=== if it was a convertible then the back draft  from the exhaust of those old “clean burning” T-Birds probably did put you under - literally 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== if it was a convertible then the back draft  from the exhaust of those old “clean burning” T-Birds probably did put you under - literally 

Like a leaky heater box on a Corvair or VW.

12 hours ago, dtel said:

Making some New Orleans Italian tonight, Muffulettas. 

Italian meats and cheeses with a layer of Italian olive salad on top, baked until it's all hot and melted. Killed half of one and I'm done.

569A1795-8C79-4087-9E55-40E160E39F69.jpeg

Ok now...YUM

• Haha 1

I saw that, too.

went to get something to eat... all I could find was poptarts.  poor substitute ...

Was/am digging thru my vinyl.  Some old copies of classical from the library. Had to be dad's... Point is, they have a note on the cover stating you need to adjust your machine to 33 1/3rpm. How old is that?  I have 78's. Just nothing in the transition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tarheel said:

How are you doing my friend?

I admit to never using an ATM.  My new to me car is way too smart.  It's got a zillion features that a more inquisitive person would be pouring over the manual for hours.....not me.  I just want to start it and drive.  Carl would have the whole manual dissected and digested before he got behind the wheel😊

Well, I'm still alive. But that's about it. I'm pretty much useless. And cars, believe it or not, in the last 3 months I've already put over 100 miles (barely) on the car.

The wife has been chauffeuring me around in her Honda. The navigation is so complicated to use it's almost useless for me. I'm sure Nashville is a nice place to live but I told my wife that it's a toss-up as to whether I'd rather just go on and kick the bucket or continue to go back for the next year. The traffic is unbelievable downtown. And I haven't found a good cup of coffee yet.

Take care.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driving around w/a kid in a car seat to put them to sleep?  Nah, no way!  Put the kid in his carrier and give him a dryer ride!  Dryer with or w/o wet clothes works like a charm.  Heat and the rumble then BOOM! Gone!  Down-side is you have to lean on the dryer with your arms on either side of the carrier so it doesn't slide off.  The REALLY down-side is when YOU nod out and plant ur face either in the carrier or dryer top.  Whatever works. but the face plants aren't fun  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Driving around w/a kid in a car seat to put them to sleep?  Nah, no way!  Put the kid in his carrier and give him a dryer ride!  😂

C'mon Man!

Kid seats in 1964? It was a pillow on top of the transmission hump.

Was told I was at a Cotton Bowl Game during a snowstorm too. Had relatives in Beaumont then.

@richieb hardtop, but maybe that's why I'm a bit touched :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Driving around w/a kid in a car seat to put them to sleep?  Nah, no way!  Put the kid in his carrier and give him a dryer ride!  Dryer with or w/o wet clothes works like a charm.  Heat and the rumble then BOOM! Gone!  Down-side is you have to lean on the dryer with your arms on either side of the carrier so it doesn't slide off.  The REALLY down-side is when YOU nod out and plant ur face either in the carrier or dryer top.  Whatever works. but the face plants aren't fun  😂

this stupid vid cracks me up every time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Kid seats in 1964? It was a pillow on top of the transmission hump.

I remember when I was little and we'd drive to FL from NY.  I'd lay on top of the package tray (panel on top of the rear seat that goes from the top of the rear seat rearward to the glass) and sleep while my father drove.  The sun felt great in the winter.  They didn't have seat belts in the rear then.  Other times we'd kneel on the rear floorboard facing the seat back and lay our torsos on the seat bottom and sleep.

It took my mother a long time to get used to having a car with seat belts.  When she'd drive and I'd be in the passenger front seat she'd reflexively put her arm across my chest when she hit the brakes.  I guess that was the only way they had to keep the kids off the dash during hard braking.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, T2K said:

Well, I'm still alive. But that's about it. I'm pretty much useless. And cars, believe it or not, in the last 3 months I've already put over 100 miles (barely) on the car.

The wife has been chauffeuring me around in her Honda. The navigation is so complicated to use it's almost useless for me. I'm sure Nashville is a nice place to live but I told my wife that it's a toss-up as to whether I'd rather just go on and kick the bucket or continue to go back for the next year. The traffic is unbelievable downtown. And I haven't found a good cup of coffee yet.

Take care.

I'm sorry your time there was a hassle. It seems like every large city seems to be busier these days....I guess that is good for the economy.

Hang in there, stay strong and good vibes sent your way 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1