Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Everything is ok, there is some tree and minor structure damage very near me.

I was on the front deck watching the sky during this event. It was very volatile and you could just tell this was going to get ugly.

If your place is in a potential path of tornados get a weather radio, I can not stress that enough.

I can not hear a tornado siren at my house but my phone and the TV (while we had power) gave us the early warnings that saved lives.

@Ceptorman thank you for thinking of me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 4:37 PM, JohnJ said:

Good 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain is freakin' incredible med roasted.

@WillyBob you get the chance, try it... and don't put another d*mn thing in it !

& very good food in those Cuban delis downtown @dtel

I got mine yesterday and ground it this morning.  Incredibly smooth with no bite whatsoever.  Really good, thanks for the recommendation.  I always drink mine black.  My wife on the other hand has to have flavored creamer in hers.  I cringe every time I see it especially with coffee like this.  It's like mixing coke with Pappy Van Winkle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Davis said:

I was on the front deck watching the sky during this event. It was very volatile and you could just tell this was going to get ugly.

If your place is in a potential path of tornados get a weather radio, I can not stress that enough.

I can not hear a tornado siren at my house but my phone and the TV (while we had power) gave us the early warnings that saved lives.

Great you made it through unscathed Davis!  Scar stuff!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I got mine yesterday and ground it this morning.  Incredibly smooth with no bite whatsoever.  Really good, thanks for the recommendation.  I always drink mine black.  My wife on the other hand has to have flavored creamer in hers.  I cringe every time I see it especially with coffee like this.  It's like mixing coke with Pappy Van Winkle.

Same thing happens here, at most I'd put a tsp of sugar in a qt of coffee ( I do make chocolate coffee when it's cold sometimes). She'll put that International Harvester:P syrupy stuff from a test tube in the cup and pour coffee on top even when it was these very good $$ honey process beans that I took the effort to grind more coarse make it manually in the Eva Solo.

Yep an oz of four roses single over a cube is my poison of choice, since I don't get drunk anymore!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dtel said:

No, it's not the hail that's that big it's something else that needs to be that big to mess with a tornado, hail or not.

And there is only one being that can do that.

If you've been near one (or three) in your life like me and your alive it can change your perspective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I was thinking of you too.....would hate to go to one of the greatest concerts ever by myself!!

Glad to hear you are good.

you are not going to the greatest concert of all time by yourself.

Even if its like the old golf joke.

"hit the ball drag Davis...hit the ball drag Davis"

• Like 2

Wow, and you're in AZ @WillyBob! We broke 100 a week ago and three times since, including today an hour or two ago. But I'm in the ac today, yard trash cans are full no more outside work until tomorrow after they get emptied. More rain than ever the last year but the clay is cracking already.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

oh.... we're a  couple weeks late to break 100`. Jerky/mummy season, it is now.  For a month [only, I hope]

June... ugh

How long have you lived in Arivaca, no reason just wondering?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

How long have you lived in Arivaca, no reason just wondering?

a while.... you're making me think. Can ya smell wood burning?

...gotta be over 15years. Came back from HI in '98. Prolly closer to 20, I have been out here. I lived at the other end of the road on and off for a ... well, my folks moved us to Amado from Elkhart IN [you have heard of that place] in 1970. Subtract 8 years in HI... the rest of the time, I've been out here... in the area.

Y'all seen the movie Alice Doesn't Live Here Any More? The cow skull restaurant front in one scene... That is in Amado. I helped build it. I have scars to show... That was in '74.

Made a comment about siesta and how only a white man would try to work thru the heat of the day to an online friend... That prompted the question...

"Bill, are you Mexican? "

..."almost"

@richieb

been here so long, I'm a fixture. They don't know any different. Always been here, as far as a lot know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

still have the same phone # issued in 1970...

4 party lines

we had ring "codes" ... when our phone rang, someone else's did too. Calling 10 miles was long distance.  Small exchange... maybe 3000 on it at the time.... that was as far as we could go w/o long distance charges

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just was wondering, I was playing around with Google earth this morning looking around and looked at Arivaca since I have never been that far south in the desert.

I couldn't handle it, doing landscaping and loving plants for a long time now it is way to desert looking for me.  :lol: Rocks and dirt with some trees and shrubs, the only thing that can take the climate I guess. It just looks hot. 

What is it that they farm outside of town a little to the southwest, looks like a couple of fields.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Davis said:

Hey, no problem. My wife has family about 2 miles south of Pendleton, he said he could see it and hear it, but fortunately just some down branches.

• Like 3

joke about a guy from here going to the midwest from here and asking how they watered all the grass.   lol

I had a garden at the other house. There was dirt.... Nice garden. Corn, beans, 8 or 10 varieties of tomatoes and melons. I was giving grocery bags full of beans away. Yeah, I could have put them up... they're so much better fresh. I dried tomatoes. Seemed like the right thing, given the climate. Too cold for citrus, here. We can do apples.  It's different here from Amado, even. A lot colder here. Not day temps... we are in a cold air drainage and 500 feet higher in elevation. It is fresh in the AM all year. Below 70. that is cold... it was 40 - 50 this AM. Mid 80's now.

You can grow a lot of things here... just add water. I have bulb flowers.. Dafs, iris -Dutch and, canna lilies, pomegranates, jujubes [Chinese date] trees, Persian lilacs in addition to the rock and...  If I get a hankering for wet... there is the Buenas Aires Nat Wildlife Preserve/Arivaca Cieniga.. Cieniga is code for swamp/bog. They have boardwalks  thru/around it.  And some rather grand cottonwood trees. Yes... real trees. Trunk dia [at chest height] of 6 to 8 feet.  Do NOT come down here in June. It is a bad month. 100`+ in Tucson, 95` here ...oppressively sunny, too.

• Like 4