Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

1 minute ago, dtel said:

I am just hoping with it turned off it still runs normally if there is a problem with the Hybrid system, probably not? 

Honestly I don't know the specifics on that particular make and model.  Most hybrids work along the same principles but have various ways to implement the electronics.

My car came with a pump when I bought it.  The first thing I did was get a spare.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

its about money not 1/4 mpg at most better.

It's about the mileage.  The spare alone won't make a huge difference but it's just one of a number of weight saving measures that when combined will make a difference.  Manufacturers have to hit certain numbers as far as mileage is concerned so it's probably more important to them than it is to you.  Coefficient of drag, material composition, low roll resistant tires, efficient engine and transmission design and electrical and ac load are all optimized to help with fuel economy.  LED's are becoming popular as they don't tax the electrical system (electrical drag from the alternator) as much as incandescence's do.  It's a change made by manufacturers to improve fuel efficiency.  There are countless others.

• Sad 1

My Tundra averages about 16 MPG averaged out, but it's got 400HP and doesn't even think about shutting off at a traffic light.  New that going into the deal, but I was buying a truck that can actually pull something and brings a smile to your face when you get on it.  Wife's Highlander does the shut off thing, but I shut it off as soon as I start it when I drive it. I believe they are working on different motor and gearing options for 2020 Tundra for those that don't want it to be able to pull or haul as much.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

When they are doing all of this configuring they should throw in a little common sense, repairability cost, a blow out at night in the middle of nowhere and useable space instead of an empty hole under the trunk area where a spare would go.  

Since I am complaining, I never liked the spares that had to be lowered from under the back of the trucks, you were going to need to lay on the ground just to unhook the tire from the jack/chain thing.

My sister just bought a Honda truck,(Ridgeline) and inside the bed in the back floor is a door on the bottom which is lockable for storage,  and the spare slides into a compartment just in front of this through the same door. It also has a removable plug in the bottom and can be used as a built-in ice chest and it's pretty big, now this was smart designing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dtel said:

When they are doing all of this configuring they should throw in a little common sense,

If you think they're bad for the consumer, you should see what has to be done to repair them.  You have to pull the windshield to replace headliners.  The front bumper cover has to be pulled to replace headlamps.  Don't get me started.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Can't even wrap my head around the alternator re-starting the engine, acting as a starter. So strange. 

I have 66,000 miles on my Camaro and I take really good care of the tires (and the car itself), frequent visual inspections. No spare is pretty crazy. All it takes is a 4x4 timber off an eighteen wheeler on the freeway at night and bingo, call a tow truck. Or a really nasty pothole at speed. My battery (large) is where the spare would be in the lower trunk well. 

15 years ago I would have never traveled 400 miles (road trip) without a freakin spare tire. Now i do it all the time. I thought of investing in a spare years ago but space is at such a premium in the late model Camaros. But I really enjoy the car, still puts a smile on my face driving.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

While on the topic of cars......what is your favorite tune about them.  Little Deuce Coupe "she get's pushed out of shape and hard to steer when I get rubber in all four gears".

Queen.....I'm in love with my car.

• Like 5

On 6/6/2019 at 12:06 PM, dtel said:

Was that the laying on a lounge chair in a bikini price,

like me working at the campground.  The scenery made the wage livable.

Net was down all morning.  Good thing. I need to be doin' my hard yakka early. We're getting seasonable temps, finally. Still no 100`. Saving that for tomorrow. Then, it's sposed to go 107` Wed. We don't complain about it being 55` - 60` in the AM.

Got rid of my junk junk cables , computer to amp.  We have new junk cables. They llok pretty. Gold [tone] ends. Wire is supple. We'll see how long they last. They do sound better. That was easy. One of the old cables had an intermittent ground

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you think they're bad for the consumer, you should see what has to be done to repair them.  You have to pull the windshield to replace headliners.  The front bumper cover has to be pulled to replace headlamps.  Don't get me started.

=== speaking of headlights, actually “headlight assemblies”, a replacement headlight for a new mid-line Lexus SUV is running about $1800. Typically they are $600-1000. Repairing a mirror on a BMW - $1200. It’s easy to see the how and why insurance rates have become ridiculously high. This week I’ve been helping my stepson at his body shop and was doing a tear down and re-skin on a Ford aluminum pick up bed. You want to talk about a cluster f—k repair process, this is it. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

While on the topic of cars......what is your favorite tune about them.  Little Deuce Coupe "she get's pushed out of shape and hard to steer when I get rubber in all four gears".

This and Low Rider by WAR was the first I thought of.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== speaking of headlights, actually “headlight assemblies”, a replacement headlight for a new mid-line Lexus SUV is running about $1800. Typically they are $600-1000. Repairing a mirror on a BMW - $1200. It’s easy to see the how and why insurance rates have become ridiculously high. This week I’ve been helping my stepson at his body shop and was doing a tear down and re-skin on a Ford aluminum pick up bed. You want to talk about a cluster f—k repair process, this is it. 

I don't intend to ever own anything past 2010 for these reasons you all mention. Stupid high prices on everything and engineered super high repair costs to help make up for low interest loans. I am NOT going to own something to small nor one that has to have the body raised off the frame to work on the engine. My Ford E150 hauls a ton of stuff and gets 17 to 18 on the highway and is not stupid expensive to work on. I has a look at one of the new body styles and one glimpse into the engine compartment cured me of all desire to smell new again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Good one dtel!

I'm old what can I say.

10 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I don't intend to ever own anything past 2010 for these reasons you all mention. Stupid high prices on everything and engineered super high repair costs to help make up for low interest loans. I am NOT going to own something to small nor one that has to have the body raised off the frame to work on the engine. My Ford E150 hauls a ton of stuff and gets 17 to 18 on the highway and is not stupid expensive to work on. I has a look at one of the new body styles and one glimpse into the engine compartment cured me of all desire to smell new again.

I don't blame you at all, that Saturn is the car we use all the time, if we got anything newer it wouldn't be by much younger. 

I have an old ugly style truck, 89 chevy 3/4 ton, no dents just faded paint and it already has the plate/ball in the back bed to connect to the trailer.  No AC and an AM radio that don't even work, but the truck has 43K miles, 23k from me. People ask why don't you get a new truck well, 1. I am cheap 2.except for looks there is nothing wrong with this one it runs great and i expect it to last longer than me. It only pulls the trailer to move things or the tractor with an occasional trip to the hardware store when things would not fit in the car. Part of the reason it has low miles and the tires rot off of it before they wear out.

Right now it's kind of taken apart to be repainted, kind of like putting lipstick on a pig even with the body in great shape, no dents.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Here you go WillyBob.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-federal-laws-now-allow-174612307.html

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona farmers will soon begin planting hemp as its byproduct - CBD oil - is exploding in popularity, with some supporters saying it could overtake a traditional crop in the state because there's more money in the cannabis plant than cotton.

The emerging market for hemp, which contains ultra-low levels of the THC that creates a high in marijuana, will be focused in Arizona on producing flowers and seeds that can be used to make CBD oils, said Randy Pullen, a former state Republican Party chairman and hemp processing company investor who helped set up a state chapter of the Hemp Industries Association.

CBD oils are increasingly being used in foods and as pain relievers, as well as for other medical conditions. In April, however, the Food and Drug Administration issued warning letters to companies for making unapproved health claims about CBD products.

• Like 1

Sounds like my Olds. It's a beater. Reliable beater. No roadio. No A/C   yeah, I left the typo.. seems to work. Pain't? Not with our sun. Rust ? Not with [out] our rain.

All the plastic and rubber are chalking away.  They don't hold up the the sun either.Don't fall for fiberglass window frames. Resin cooks away, too.  Metal? It lasts forever.  You can find old beer cans that take a church key, laying out in /around here.

• Haha 3

=== now my sad story. My 1999 Chevy Silverado, 5.3 LS V8 very nice, extremely low miles at 62K. Use it on occasion in bad weather, hauling etc. After we used it last weekend my stepson borrows it the next day and calls later in the day telling me the engine is locked up. He knows his way around anything automotive, tells me he was loading some stuff, started and stopped a couple times, heard a strange noise, got worse, turned it off, then louder metallic noise, turned off, that’s it. Locked up, won’t even turn over now. And yes, oil is changed regularly. It’s a machine, shite happens I guess —

• Like 1
  • Sad 3