Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

you know what a Bell/Hiller head is?

I defied conventional wisdom and got rid of half the linkage.  Heard a lot of "That won't work", Got a working prototype and a month or 3 later Blade had an almost identical set up in production.

Keeping my thinking in "parallel evolution" helps to slow the thoughts of theft of intellectual property.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

The one project for the day is to set up the new Rega Planar 3 and the Hana EH moving coil cartridge.  Dreading the job since I broke a wire on the Denon last week.  The Schiit Mani pre is to arrive today. 

I'd be curious to know your impressions of the Hana. Please report back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rplace said:

I'd be curious to know your impressions of the Hana. Please report back.

dirtmudd recommended the Hana and I read all the reviews.  Not knowing the benefits/drawbacks of the EH and EL I ordered the EH (high output).  I also thought I would need a step up pre so I ordered the Schiit Mani because of great reviews.  Later.......reading the Hana instructions it states that with the EH you can use a MM and still get the MC sound😲  So I would have been okay without the Schiit but I'm still anxious to hear it.

The Hana is installed and pretty nicely set up with the supplied protractor.  No wires broken and needle nose pliers did help. I installed the nuts on top of the head shell thinking it would be easier but now not so sure.

Played part of one  LP (Charlie Musslewhite Aces and Harps) and it sounded fine.  Tomorrow the Schiit install.  Then some break in time and a report back.

One side note...There is a guy on youtube, think his name is Ian, who is well known for his cartridge shoot outs.  He did a review of the Hana EH and the Nagaoka -150 and preferred the Nagaoka at half the price of the Hana!  Wish I had read that first!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

.... defense dept watches R/C forums.  I have gotten 2 "Sorry, wrong number" calls from Raytheon. I'm tempted to up there, see if they have something for me to do. They are in Tucson. 

Silly Defense (WAR) Dept!

Like we'd post our "secrets" there? 😉

John Kuthe...

• Haha 3

Actually, yes. We did a lot of collaboration. Not unlike here. Modding was a way of life. Some models would barely fly or were uncontrollable from the factory, until we made a few changes. I think the phrase is "beta testing"

I was rather surprised to see how many options to mod are available in this arena besides simply changing component line up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WillyBob said:

.... defense dept watches R/C forums.  I have gotten 2 "Sorry, wrong number" calls from Raytheon. I'm tempted to up there, see if they have something for me to do. They are in Tucson. 

=== yeah, you should do that. I’m sure there will be plenty for you to do after showing up at Raytheon, unannounced, in a sarong — 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

lol

I think out of the box. In a right handed world, lefties have to.

Think out of the Box?

I say, WHAT BOX? 😉

And I FINALLY GOT BOTH JBL Control Xs working, and...Thermal Cutoff! With a 16" Lasko FAN on low on my ADCOM Speaker Switch AND my McIntosh 2105 Power Amp!! WHEN it cools off...I'll put the Lasko Fan on HI and TRY IT AGAIN!!

John Kuthe...

• Like 2

random association

Have any of you driven a right hand drive car? 

I had the opportunity, last time I went to Australia. Turned it down. I couldn't cross a road [on foot] without getting run over. Don't know how my left hand would do with a shifter. ... and I suppose the pedals are reversed?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Lefties have rights too.

see the post above.

everything is backwards to you.  That is kind of what being a lefty is like.

... then, working in pinsetters for 25 years didn't help. All references to the machine was from the front/lane of the machine. We worked from behind.  So, the right side, from our perspective, is left.

"Your other left!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

go big or go home? A truck?  Good to hear you survived.

my boy is going to let his youthful exuberance get the better of him.  "Cow punchin" at the ranch. Said he took down a "big" calf during a branding the other day. Said he jumped on it... Implied there was a bit a "ride" before the take down.  

I didn't think I was mechanically inclined, either. Turned out to be a good job for me. Never any $$$ in it. It was fun. Challenging at times. Enough exercise.  Troubleshooting was my forte.

• Like 2