Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

33 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

usually defrosting the coils will turn the trick.

Once the coils start freezing over, things snowball. The A/C isn't making cold, so turn the temp down.... and accelerate the frost over.

The ice is the symptom not the cause.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Hot and humid here in SE NC,  good time for LF's AC to freeze up.  A big block of ice.  They will probably try to sell her a new one since it's 11 years old.

Do you know which freon it uses?  Pretty much any ac can be fixed.  The problem you'll run into is that they'll tell you that they need to convert it to the new stuff.  At that point I'd call around and see if you can find someone that will service the older freon systems.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Depending on the efficiency and if you are satisfied with its performance, a fix seems the best choice.  Is this the first thing to go wrong?  

Yes. Life expectancy quoted at 12-15 years and this unit is 11 years old.  Doing Manual J calculations now to see what size unit we should be using.  This one is 3.5 tons and 14 SEER.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

That or move into Carl's man cave.

Not a bad idea either, he can mix drinks, wife is really nice, good looking cars to go with yours, nice speakers, it's sounding pretty good.

• Haha 3

0% financing but enough HVAC talk.  Dog days here......regularly scheduled thunder storm going through.  Everything is real green though.

Looks like our bud Cincymat is moving less than an hour from me.  Will have to visit soon.  Forum members in this area are few and far between!

This Old House is a rerun.........pour another Jack Daniels I guess.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Yes. Life expectancy quoted at 12-15 years and this unit is 11 years old.  Doing Manual J calculations now to see what size unit we should be using.  This one is 3.5 tons and 14 SEER.

Life expectancy is a selling tool for the ac company.   Fix it now and in the future if you have a catastrophic failure there'll be even more efficient units out there.  You really don't have to replace the entire unit if repair parts are available. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Not a bad idea either, he can mix drinks, wife is really nice, good looking cars to go with yours, nice speakers, it's sounding pretty good.

I wish I could post pictures off my phone.  It's turning out really nice.

• Like 2