Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

11 hours ago, Wardsweb said:

They should be capturing the refrigerant and putting it back. By law, they are not to vent it to the atmosphere. You will need some but not a lot. 

I got an American Standard Platinum 18 seer 4 ton installed for $8500.

I'm betting you researched American Standard prior to purchasing.  What did you like about that brand over...say Trane or Lennox?  I gogled 18 SEER AS.....wasn't aware the SEER ratings went that high!  I bet that's one efficient unit.

The tech after doing his Manual J calculations recommended that we drop down from a 3.5 ton to a 3.0 ton.  His point is that an oversized unit cycles on and off too much which is wear and tear on the unit.  A smaller unit would stay on longer and help reduce humidity.  I should mention that we have a split system (another unit for upstairs). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I'm betting you researched American Standard prior to purchasing.  What did you like about that brand over...say Trane or Lennox?  I gogled 18 SEER AS.....wasn't aware the SEER ratings went that high!  I bet that's one efficient unit.

American Standard and Trane are the same equipment, though you will typically pay more for the Trane badge and the "certified" Trane installer.  I've had quite a bit of American Standard equipment installed on my projects over the years as well as plenty of others.  If I'm not mistaken, they were absorbed by Ingersoll-Rand, but in the big picture, there are a handful of manufacturers that make all of the traditional "forced air" units and brand them under 100 different labels.  No offence to any HVAC contractors but it's a game with huge margins to the average consumer that doesn't have a clue what equipment actually cost.  @Tarheel I'm assuming that this is a package heat pump unit or does LF have a separate heating source and this is a split system with a charged line set and an interior furnace with the A-coil inside?  I purchase a lot of equipment during a year (40-60 units) and have multiple installers and to give you a reference, on a new A/C or Heat Pump install (split system including running the electric/line set and installing the A coil), my labor cost run about $800.  As an equipment reference, I currently install more Bosch heat pumps than any other equipment, which are a hybrid system developed using a lot of the tech from the mini split world for use in forced air systems and I can tell you, that all the pieces and parts cost me around $3,000 for a 3 ton unit.  If you're replacing, you would obviously have to pay to have the old unit pumped down and removed but that should be a reasonable charge if they're installing a new system, another $400-$500 should more than cover it.  Just trying to give you some negotiating information but the biggest thing you can do is to keep the unit cost and the labor as two separate items when talking price.  Don't get hung up on smoke and mirrors with labels and brands, look at warranty and equipment ratings.  JMHO

• Like 2

Thank you Pete.....good info.  Yes it is a packaged heat pump. We are waiting on hearing from 2 other HVAC contractors with great feed back.  It is LF's place so she will have the final say.  Will keep you posted.

As a side note I built my house in 1987 and also have a split system.  The upstairs unit is 31 years old and still working!  The main heat pump for the first floor has been replaced twice.  Currently using a hybrid system (LP gas) as a second fuel.

• Like 1

A packaged unit is a different animal with different costs involved since everything, including the air handler is all together.  It's been a while since I've done one, but I have no problem, letting you know what reasonable equipment costs are if you let me know the specifics on the equipment (model numbers) that you are being quoted.  

• Like 2

For comparitive purposes mini split units like I put in my garage are uber efficient.  I believe mine is around 22 seer.  They make units with multiple zone capability also.  Something to consider if you're starting from scratch.  I still believe I'd repair her old one though.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Thanks Mike.  The tech was saying that while most brands are re-badging components Trane makes their own coils and compressors in house.  Of course that was the brand he is selling.

I believe that Mikes ac is broken every other month.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Thank you Pete.....good info.  Yes it is a packaged heat pump. We are waiting on hearing from 2 other HVAC contractors with great feed back.  It is LF's place so she will have the final say.  Will keep you posted.

As a side note I built my house in 1987 and also have a split system.  The upstairs unit is 31 years old and still working!  The main heat pump for the first floor has been replaced twice.  Currently using a hybrid system (LP gas) as a second fuel.

=== similar to my situation. Our Lennox was built in 1985, still runs extremely strong, and cold. The A-coil was replaced about 12 years ago under a home warranty when we bought the house. Been flawless since. Have had more than one knowledgeable person(s) see the unit and comment “pray it keeps on going, they make nothing close to that quality these days”. I’ll ride this bugger until there are no options left to keep it going, SEER ratings be damned. I’ll trade a few extra $ a month in electricity vs. $8K for a new unit.

— one another note, there is a HVAC company in our area touting Daiken products. Offers are full 12 year warranty, parts/labor —

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am way out of this convo.

You would think I should have infinite knowledge of A/C, living in southern AZ.   We don't have A/C --- or even a "swamp box" cooler. Barely need it. It did get a tad warm the other day. 2 showers and a dip in the kiddie pool later....

I might be repeating myself, stop me if I told you this already....

an ad for a local acupuncture clinic offering "An alternative to pain relief".....

...such as???? not relieving pain?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I am way out of this convo.

You would think I should have infinite knowledge of A/C, living in southern AZ.   We don't have A/C --- or even a "swamp box" cooler. Barely need it. It did get a tad warm the other day. 2 showers and a dip in the kiddie pool later....

I might be repeating myself, stop me if I told you this already....

an ad for a local acupuncture clinic offering "An alternative to pain relief".....

...such as???? not relieving pain?

=== you’re in a unique situation, you wear a sarong with impunity. You dress “cool”. Here - hot/humid as helll in an open carry state. I would be target practice in a sarong at the local Walmart—

• Haha 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

wasn’t there a thread with pictures of forum members gathering at a Walmart?  oh wait, those were from the pilgrimage.  

No that was at Rodney's, might need to get better dressed to go to town compared to his place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I live in AZ...

Baring arms is not a right... it is your duty. We issue you a firearm when you get your social security #

Concealed carry?   No need for special permission to do that.

the crazy old man in the sarong may be packin'.

Sunny and warm enough to rain... and it did. Temp is down to 70 or so... Cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

speaking of town ... do you have a town or is it underwater?  I see the weather channel has a dedicated program to this storm.

Our town is fine, some flooding in N.O. from rain but it's the normal places that flood with a good rain. There is some surge flooding in S Louisiana on roads and neighborhoods but nothing like a stronger storm. Plus right at the bad time of the storm it happened to be high tide, that didn't help. Some probably got water but really minor overall compared to a real hurricane, this was a barely organised storm that just made hurricane strength winds right before it hit land and dropped to a tropical storm strength almost as soon as it hit land.   

A little boring but better than the other end of the scale, the other weather news was just slow I guess.

• Like 4