Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

we have grand/s. I try to keep things on the safer side.

We have enough fun stuff, black widows, scorpions, centipedes, rattlesnakes and don't forget that all vegetation has its protective measures. If it doesn't have thorns, it's most likely poison. 

Wife's first day back. Told me to wake her at 6. She wanted to be there before 7.... Yeah, right

6AM... "Honey, it's 6"

then "Honey, it's 6:30"

same at 7

She crawled out at 7 o'clock plus. Coffee was cold by then

Good thing, all she is doing is getting ready for the kids to come Friday.

Sposed to rain. Gave a flash flood watch last night, for today. And then, it is sposed to be wet again tomorrow. 70%. I bet that if it does rain, it will be drizzle. If we get too much humidity/clouds, we don't get the heating/ lift to make storms...

• Like 2

My wife is a teacher and she has spent the last two weeks getting her room in order. She loves her job, teaches 4-5 year olds. I try not to complain about all she spends on the kids from her own pocket, it makes her happy. It is cool when a parent of an older kid says you have been our kids favorite teacher!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

My wife is a teacher and she has spent the last two weeks getting her room in order. She loves her job, teaches 4-5 year olds.

Mine teaches K - 4.  Her school defies the normal teacher to student ratio. I guess they have 1 teacher per 10 students.... and this is a public school.

it's all the paperwork that gets her. I promise to curb my rant here/now...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Mine teaches K - 4.  Her school defies the normal teacher to student ratio. I guess they have 1 teacher per 10 students.... and this is a public school.

it's all the paperwork that gets her. I promise to curb my rant here/now...

That's a nice ratio, 1-10. Around here most of the public schools would be around 1-20. 

My wife works at a private school, currently she has 15, she might pick up 1 or 2 more. She has a part time assistant, for any class over 12.

My daughter starts college in 3 weeks, nursing student. My wife gets a discount on my daughter's college tuition, almost 50% off, about 22k.....made my day!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

My wife is a teacher and she has spent the last two weeks getting her room in order. She loves her job, teaches 4-5 year olds. I try not to complain about all she spends on the kids from her own pocket, it makes her happy. It is cool when a parent of an older kid says you have been our kids favorite teacher!

I slip a hun to the each child's counselor each year and ask that she gives it to my kid's teacher that needs it the most for supplies. I hope that for the last 10 years they have. The band director get's $200 worth of water bottles for the summer from me. Marching starts August 5th for 8 hours a day on the asphalt.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I slip a hun to the each child's counselor each year and ask that she gives it to my kid's teacher that needs it the most for supplies. I hope that for the last 10 years they have. The band director get's $200 worth of water bottles for the summer from me. Marching starts August 5th for 8 hours a day on the asphalt.

It's always nice when the parents show their appreciation to the teachers. I will say that it's becoming less popular these days. Most parents show some interest. 

My oldest daughter was in the guard in high school. She had some 12 hour days, and yes, it's on the asphalt. I was amazed how tough those kids were. I thought the football players were the only kids getting beat up and bruised. A bag of granola bars and boxes of Gatorade is a life saver to them. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It's always nice when the parents show their appreciation to the teachers. I will say that it's becoming less popular these days. Most parents show some interest. 

My oldest daughter was in the guard in high school. She had some 12 hour days, and yes, it's on the asphalt. I was amazed how tough those kids were. I thought the football players were the only kids getting beat up and bruised. A bag of granola bars and boxes of Gatorade is a life saver to them. 

I sure pity our NJROTC units they grind ALL year long. I happened by the band hall today and saw that the cadets were out there on their own practicing. See the link for their successes.

http://flourbluffschools.net/programs/njrotc/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Islander said:

Years ago, I bought a house that came with roaches.  I tried one or two insecticides that didn't work, then I got some Chinese insecticide chalk.  It comes in a pack of two sticks that look like normal blackboard chalk, but it's very poisonous.  You just make a line (it doesn't have to be thick or wide), and any creepy-crawly that walks across that line is soon dead.  The only exception was millipedes, which were unaffected by it.  I can only assume that all those feet mean that they step too lightly to absorb the insecticide.  

You can draw a line on the floor across a doorway, around a fridge or cupboard, or whatever that seems to be attracting them.  From personal experience, it works well on roaches and ants.  Ants were going for the cat food in the dish on the ground floor, so I drew a line across their suspected path (I may have drawn one around the dish as well), and when I came back in a couple of hours, there were maybe fifty dead or twitching soon-to-be-dead ants near the bowl.  They never came back.  Luckily, the cat didn't eat any of the ants.

The downside is that all the writing on the box was in Chinese, so if there were any warnings, I couldn't read them.  I did make sure to wash my hands immediately after handling it.  I found the insecticide chalk at the local Chinese-staffed variety/convenience store.  It's not likely that you'd find it at Home Depot or Canadian Tire.  The roaches never came back.

EDIT:  I'm away for a few days and whole new topics are happening!  Anyway, that chalk works.

You can also use boric acid powder, sprinkle it behind cabinets, down in crevices. It sticks to their legs/feet and they carry i back to their nests. When they clean themselves (which they do), they ingest it ant it will kill them. Not super fast, but it is safe to use around pets and kids.

Bruce

Yes, fixed the typo... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You can also use boric acid powder, sprinkle it behind cabinets, down in crevices. It sticks to their legs/feet and they carry i back to their nests. When they clean themselves (which they do), they ingest it ant it will kill them. Not supper fast, but it is safe to use around pets and kids.

Bruce

Good to know.  Thanks.

However, I’ve moved twice since living in that eventually bug-free house.  Here in Victoria, we have no mosquitoes, although there are some up-Island.  Down here on the southern tip of the Island we have ocean on three sides of us, and a sea breeze from at least one direction most days.  The common belief is that the breeze blows mosquitoes out to sea, so they’ve given up and stay away.  Many homes, and even some plush hotels, don’t have any screens on the windows.  The building code does require windows to be childproof by being limited to opening a maximum 4 inches/10 cm.  If you have no kids in the house amd want to open your windows wider, it’s easy to adjust the stopper devices.

As for in-house bugs, all I see are the occasional tiny jumping spiders.  These ones are only about 1/8”/3mm long, and their mighty jumps are only about 1”/2.5 cm long.  Since they don’t eat or contaminate my food, and don’t try to bite me or jump on me, seeing one every few months doesn’t bother me.  Since their prey is the bugs that do all those things, the little spiders have earned the right to share my space, as long as their numbers are really small (I’ve never seen more than one at a time) and I never see one in the kitchen.  They’re like the tiniest guard dogs in the world, and they feed themselves and never bark.  Not bad, right?

I house share my place with a 60 year old female though I never stay there.  She complained about the critters so I had an exterminator come over and spray inside and out but due to poor communications he did not bring "bombs" for the attics. 

She called this afternoon freaked out.  Apparently the roaches are now looking for safe ground and one hid in her bath towel.  She took it off the rack and it flew at her.  She was out of control for a bit but when I suggested she find a bug free environment she calmed down.

She will be away for four days in August and I will bomb the ship out of the attic space.  I hate them too.

• Haha 2

Once upon a time I lived outside of Greenville, TX and was told that a swath of land thru there had a reputation for scorpions. Sure enough I had almost translucent scorpions that would be in the carpet and come up thru the shower drain. Pinch / sting wasn't too bad but sucked nevertheless. Boric acid did them in.

• Like 1

Boric acid is good, too. I forgot about it.

Yesterday's dire prediction for rain worked as I thought. We got drizzle. No flooding or even a threat. One would think the computer models would be adjusted to correct this. We've met our chance for rain today. Just got a little shower.

I stand by my method. When the forecasters call for 20 - 30% chance... batten down the hatches. Over 40% is gonna be muggy, warm and cloudy. Slim chance of significant rain.

gotta try to get the wife moving very soon. She needs to go to Tucson for her CDL drug test. @Ceptorman, she's the substitute bus driver in addition to teaching and chief administrator.

There is another teacher and 2 aids. One of the aids is the primary bus driver. And Christina.The admin assistant/secretary... I love this lady. She gets things done. The admin people on Tucson and Phoenix are afraid of her. East coast gal. A professional chef, in another life and runs the admin like her kitchen. She talks in no uncertain terms.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

When the forecasters call for 20 - 30% chance... batten down the hatches.

Not at my house.  30% means it is simply not going to rain so dream on.  Until it gets to 80%, don't count on it.  It just goes to show you have to know your local territory.

• Like 1

^^^^^

=== Yes. I once heard one of the local guessers’ define what the percentage forecast meant. A 30% chance means that in a viewing area of say 150 mile radius 30% of that audience will see some kind of falling liquid. So yeah, when I actually see it raining as it is now, then yes, it’s raining 🌧

• Like 1

Our local forecasters know better than the computer models and will tell folks, it ain't gonna happen. One would think the computer whizzes could fix this. It's almost a joke around here. Our storms are air mass type. No fronts to provide lift. We NEED sun heating to create thermals.  Once they get going, outflow winds kinda keep things going.

• Thanks 1

the one forecaster talks about 94` being the magic temp to think about t-storms

went for a drink of coffee

I guess PeeWee thought her toy wasn't lively enough or needed a drink..... one stuffed mouse toy in my coffee cup. Thank you kitty...

nothing wrong with her ... she's just crazy