Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

On 7/23/2019 at 3:39 PM, JohnJ said:

"That don't confront me!"

Love it bud!!

George could put on a show.. not like Pink Floyd, or ZZTop or Teddy, or Black Flag... but he would entertain!

On 7/23/2019 at 3:43 PM, oldtimer said:

That's because he was true to the music.  No frills, just balls to the wall.

Saw George last night! You guys were right, he still puts on a good show. Rocked hard from start to finish. He's getting old but so am I! I was happy to get home and in bed by 10:00!

IMG_4064.thumb.JPG.badafb49fb7d216ba392bc439c95a2e2.JPG

• Like 2

Went back and read the info from @Tarheel and @Wardsweb about the ac stuff, thanks folks!

The motor on our compressor seized yesterday around 4:30, no doubt what it was. The capacitor is fine, contacts good. It died and it was from 1991. Furnace was from `99. looking at those dates thinking we came out pretty good but 90 degrees & 60% + humidity inside feels like FL in that duplex I was in for a while. 

Just signed away almost 8K for a 2.5 ton 2 sp compressor and two speed furnace and coil. All American Standard but da*=it, here we go again with more owed:

• Sad 2

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Dang that seems high.  Co-worker just got a quote today for a 4 ton inside and outside replacement for 6.5K.

Bet that different locales come into play with the pricing of this too.

This includes enlarging the intake in the hallway and repairing some duct work under the house so it's about $400 higher than it was, 3/4 of the way from 7k to 8k is more than I wanted to pay but the brand is better and they'll be here at 8am tomorrow with everything to get us cool again.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Bet that different locales come into play with the pricing of this too.

This includes enlarging the intake in the hallway and repairing some duct work under the house so it's about $400 higher than it was, 3/4 of the way from 7k to 8k is more than I wanted to pay but the brand is better and they'll be here at 8am tomorrow with everything to get us cool again.

What's the seer?

• Like 1

It's only 16 @CECAA850 but accompanied by that furnace fan and how it runs a strong 16 easily and 17 more than likely according to formula he was putting in the laptop. Dead one was a 10 so the improvement should be noticeable coupled with mastic or tape repairs to the knocked loose duct under there. Can't get under there like I could when I was 18-35.

• Like 1

Two HVAC contractors did Manual J calculations at LF's place and gave prices of $8,000 and $10,000.  Both quoted a 16 seer 3.0 ton heat pump with AC.  The more expensive company advertises a lot more, even on the back of buses, and has a lot more employees and overhead.  It's a Trane with a rather smart thermostat ($700).  Can't spend a lot of time wringing your hands about money in this heat.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

It's only 16 @CECAA850 but accompanied by that furnace fan and how it runs a strong 16 easily and 17 more than likely according to formula he was putting in the laptop. Dead one was a 10 so the improvement should be noticeable coupled with mastic or tape repairs to the knocked loose duct under there. Can't get under there like I could when I was 18-35.

Should see an improvement on your utility bill for sure.

• Like 2

That will be nice Carl, electric bill has been up to $120 past three months with the heat already. Right now after an hour long thunder shower it's now 84 in here with 80%.... it sucks, the piano will have to be tuned again for sure with double the humidity it's supposed to be at. This Yahama was made down in TX forget where, but she says it keeps the tune well except for getting the soundboard damp.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

What's the seer?

The SEER rating of a unit is the cooling output during a typical cooling-season divided by the total electric energy input during the same period. The higher the unit's SEER rating the more energy efficient it is. In the U.S., the SEER is the ratio of cooling in British thermal unit (BTU) to the energy consumed in watt-hours.  But that's not important right now....

• Thanks 1