Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

No set length.  The longer the horn the lower it will go.  No rules of thumb.  You can learn to use Hornresp and play around with drivers and lengths.  It's like winisd for horn enclosures.

I was thinking simple.

8ft long. Bell end 4 ft X 2 or 3ft tapered down to a 12 or 15in driver. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I was thinking simple.

8ft long. Bell end 4 ft X 2 or 3ft tapered down to a 12 or 15in driver. 

Flare rate is a thing.  You can't just go randomly from small to big.  Of course you can actually but it probably won't work as well as it should.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

No set length.  The longer the horn the lower it will go.  No rules of thumb.  You can learn to use Hornresp and play around with drivers and lengths.  It's like winisd for horn enclosures.

Its not just the length that determines the tuning frequency but it plays a part.

Taper rate, throat area, and mouth area makes a difference as well as boundaries at the exit.

For instance the THT and Table Tuba are the same length but act very differently or the wider the cabinet the more efficient the bottom end. You get the idea...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, windashine said:

Just do it .... maybe add wheels...

Don't too much urging.  Having stupid thoughts of using some alternate construction techniques to make a set of stationary horns of concrete... double as lawn sculpture. It will never happen... but I think about stuff like that.

I'm trying to get a grip on horn dynamics and I am a "hands on learner".  I can read tech stuff...  don't really understand until I see/feel it in action.

oh

there's some Altec bins and horns for sale on Phoenix cl. The tops reminded me of @Tarheel's LaScaltecs

spent an hour showing a friend how those little carbs on 2-stroke power equipment fail.  I dislike power equipment repair... a lot.  Did it for a couple years.  I get sick when I smell stale gas. That is an associative thing. And the smell clings, just to remind you.  I get the same feeling when I smell gear lube, too. Bowling alley --- gearbox repairs.

As I've gotten older, I don't enjoy working on cars either.... especially if it's mine.   

and then I told my friend to get a carb for his weedeater and I would help him put it on.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I'm trying to get a grip on horn dynamics and I am a "hands on learner".  I can read tech stuff...  don't really understand until I see/feel it in action.

Just say no, at our age the odd's of finally getting it really right without knowing what should be done or a good way of testing is pretty slim. :wacko:

Try a proven design and spend the rest of the time listening, it's easier. :lol:

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:

=== that ain’t nuthin’. That’s a typical Friday evening getting to our lake homes in the Ozarks - only in SUV’s / Jeeps —

That's funny, I can just imagine.

• Like 1

I liked the guy in the video w/his phone alllll the way out w/his selfie stick.  May as well just walk down there and hand hold it.  At that speed ur just dead if they hit you.   I remember one year @ Indy.  Shooting on the inside of turn 3 w/Rahal and Luyendyk in a battle for the win.  I KNEW Arie was gonna come in under Rahal there.  Looked back and flipped out.  There's the ex layin in the grass INSIDE the fence w/me.  Ya die oh so quickly there.  No time to move.  I got her outta there and here they come...  Arie under Rahal for the lead w/32 laps left AND the win @ warp 3.  People don't realize that IF there's a crash the majority of the car still comes at you @ THEIR speed.  One moron got hit w/a pop rivet, which broke his arm one year. That's why they have WALLS to stay behind and trust me I'm behind them for most of the time.  Ya see it coming and kiss the ground real quick.  Selfie stick?  hahahaha ur dead man.

• Like 3