Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

My poor Schwinn Le Tour.  She looks so pathetic just hanging there.  Longest cruise for me was with a couple buddies.  Here to Grayling, MI in 3 days to canoe and camp then back home.  A LONG haul yet survived it somehow.  20 years ago.  Every month I turn the crank and spin the tires.  Then tell myself I'm gonna start riding again.  As if!  lol

My-Schwinn-Le-Tour.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

My poor Schwinn Le Tour.  She looks so pathetic just hanging there.  Longest cruise for me was with a couple buddies.  Here to Grayling, MI in 3 days to canoe and camp then back home.  A LONG haul yet survived it somehow.  20 years ago.  Every month I turn the crank and spin the tires.  Then tell myself I'm gonna start riding again.  As if!  lol

My-Schwinn-Le-Tour.jpg

She looks like she likes to roll and I bet she is a good ride. Start with short rides on your bike and you will get your butt muscles back into tone for longer times in the saddle it won't take very long. There is nothing like that sense of freedom alone on a bike on a road. I have included a link to one of the finest bike blogs I know of just for some inspiration. Roll on brother roll on.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/

• Like 3

13 hours ago, WillyBob said:

You weren't wearing a shirt with your name?

I used to do that... with a shirt that didn't have Bill on it... George or Mike

... and the folks wondered why I ignored them.

there was a great video on line some years ago, some guy on a Friday night walked into a convenience store, he picked up a case of beer and then asked for a carton of cigarettes (pretending to have a gun) and then he quietly left the store. Police turned up at his door a short while later to arrest him. He had been layed off that afternoon and he was on his way home broke and still had his construction hard hat on with both the name of the company and his own name on it. I guess he just forgot it was up there for the surveillance to see.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

At 70, I'd look like a Kia Soul rollin down the highways here today.  hahahaha  Thanks for the kind words and thoughts though!  Stop in, bring your cash and you can ride it home!  lolol  Kids today are clueless and have even less money!  lol

I am not that far behind you age wise. When I got my right hip replaced with a metal ball and cup I was in the hospital from a Friday til Monday noon. Monday afternoon I took my 18 speed out into the back alley and rode up and down a couple of times just to make sure the joint would get the job done. Feeling satisfied that it seemed to be in place properly I was thinking that I would go for an easy spin but I got worried that if I fell off that I would tear up all the stitches in my incision (one of those long nine inch cuts) so I let it heal up about three weeks and got back at it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moray james said:

you will get your butt muscles back into tone . . . 

We made the trip in ~40 minutes.   The butt muscles are definitely out of shape.   Those hard 130 psi tires are great for low rolling resistance, hard on the butt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

We made the trip in ~40 minutes.   The butt muscles are definitely out of shape.   Those hard 130 psi tires are great for low rolling resistance, hard on the butt.

given the comfort and grip larger diametre tires really help, real studies show the rolling resistance is just not that much better for the small dia tires and for general road riding larger really is the way to go. Check out the archives at "off the beaten path" blog to find lots of data.

• Like 2

=== I’m putting my exceptionally well cared for 1992 Cannondale SR 800 (Shimano Ultegra 600 group) for sale this weekend. Alas, my 66 years old legs just can’t  pull the road race gearing in that bike. The guys at the Trek shop liked to crap when I rolled it in the shop yesterday, thinks vintage CDale enthusiasts will pay top dollar for a bike in this condition. Looks like a  Diz bike condition wise. 

Wanting to ride again and now my daughter is riding in triathlons thought I’d pick up something more tame. Found a screaming deal on a Raleigh “gravel” or endurance bike with Reynolds 631 tubing and full Shimano 105 group. Plenty good enough for my needs —

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moray james said:

I am not that far behind you age wise. When I got my right hip replaced with a metal ball and cup I was in the hospital from a Friday til Monday noon. Monday afternoon I took my 18 speed out into the back alley and rode up and down a couple of times just to make sure the joint would get the job done. Feeling satisfied that it seemed to be in place properly I was thinking that I would go for an easy spin but I got worried that if I fell off that I would tear up all the stitches in my incision (one of those long nine inch cuts) so I let it heal up about three weeks and got back at it.

=== I’ll match your right and raise with my left —

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, windashine said:

Are we talkin' bout a Texas Gatherin" on Wed & Thurs Next week, the 28th & 29th, in Southeast Texas....  ending a day before that Harry Labor Day Weekend Traffic Jam?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, CECAA850 said:

I'm in.

I better get on my horse:) I am invited?

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

On the spur of the moment I took the last ferry back to Mackinac Isalnd, spent the night on a friend’s boat, and then rode back to East Lansing in two days.

Mackinaw Island to East Lansing in two days? You da man.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

I have a Raleigh Tamland 1 and that is now my most ridden bike. I do take it off road  a lot and had the gearing changed to a 40-12 cassette. There are some steep off road climbs around here and my old legs (is that a theme around here?) need all the help they can get. The geometry of the Tamland is much more relaxed than a road bike, the steel is forgiving, the wider tires are nicer imho, and the bike itself has been very reliable.  Tamland 1 in back, Bianchi Freccia Celeste in front. Tamland is  a 56 frame, Bianchi is a 57. Enjoy your new ride!

image.jpeg

=== yep, Tamland 1. Mines kind of a burnt orange, xxl frame. 

• Like 2