Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

41 minutes ago, Davis said:

A new set of tires does wonders for the ride of almost any vehicle especially those dang run flats.

My brother was an engineer for Michelin.  He told me that rubber never stops curing.  As the tires age they get harder and harder and eventually they start to disintegrate.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

A big day for this retiree yesterday.  A hair cut at 9am then to the tire store for 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/s 3+ on the 2012 Z4 35is.  Much better ride than the stock run flats.  Down side.......removing the goo that holds the weights for balancing.  4 applications of Goo Gone and patience.

They'd be takin off that goo not moi!  Told my guys here they were my Indy pit crew LONG ago and there would be NO second opportunity.  We STILL laff about it and I've never had a problem.  They're all darn good though so that helps.  For the price of those tires that goo would be gone before I ever drove away.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

My brother was an engineer for Michelin.  He told me that rubber never stops curing.  As the tires age they get harder and harder and eventually they start to disintegrate.

Could the rubber fare better now with the nitrogen that does not permeate the tires in them?

Love that stuff, still check the pressure the first of each month like I always have. I just don't go outside with my pocket full of quarters anymore!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Could the rubber fare better now with the nitrogen that does not permeate the tires in them?

Love that stuff, still check the pressure the first of each month like I always have. I just don't go outside with my pocket full of quarters anymore!

It doesn't matter what it's filled with, the rubber never stops curing.  The outside is exposed to regular air anyway.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Davis said:

Sometimes it is better to do some things yourself.

The tire store guy might just think a torch would take that goo right off.

Plus if your retired what else you got to do?

3M adhesive remover or Acrysol would make short work of the glue/adhesive.  Just be sure you scrape the wheel with a hard plastic tool as opposed to anything metal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Bouncing to 5 watts. In the city the police would shut me down. ... Just sayn'

Me too. Not sure how much I was pushing the LS... but 1/2 volume [on a 65W/ch] is getting loud.  Some music begs to be cranked up.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

It's funny, you ride French tires and me, here in France, I mounted American tires on my 911 of 2001: Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetric 3, they are very good tires🤣

Well if it's imported it must be better ? :huh:

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Na, anyway it's better to fill them with a mix of acetylene and oxygen, this way when you have a blowout you and other cars around you can hear it much better and get out of the way plus it will wake up anyone sleeping in the car so they can hold on.   

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Me too. Not sure how much I was pushing the LS... but 1/2 volume [on a 65W/ch] is getting loud.  Some music begs to be cranked up.

65W at half volume is not even close to 32 W, you would be deaf, or deafer might be better. Your probably scaring off critters.

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Some music begs to be cranked up.

Especially that song where they say turn it up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Just like latex paint that never dries too! Comes from the same place!

It is just such a pain to fill tires with it, messy and way to heavy, but you can get your favorite color and it's easy to see if you have a slow leak but blowouts can be a real mess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Davis said:

Also did they quit teaching that you walk towards traffic while walking on the shoulder of a road.

I travel a busy state highway and kids with headphones on walking with traffic are clueless.

Agree 100%; walk against traffic and bicycle with traffic, but follow the damn laws.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Na, anyway it's better to fill them with a mix of acetylene and oxygen

Several years back they built a brand new dealership next to the interstate here in Beaumont.  Every fewday they'd fill one of those big balloons with helium and fly it to attract  attention and announce they were open.  The first Saturday that the service department was open they had zero traffic.  Technicians and idle time are a bad combination.  They took an oxygen/acetylene rig and fired it up.  They adjusted the flame till it was a nice blue and snuffed it out on a 2x4.  With the gas mixture still going they stuck the end in one of the big balloons.  After it was inflated they tied it off and naturally it wouldn't float.  5 or 6 smaller helium filled balloons fixed that issue and off it went with a string tethering it to the ground.  As they let the string out they'd hit the string with WD-40.  Once it got 50 to 100 ft up (I get conflicting info on the height) they lit the string and let go.  The shock wave from the explosion cracked 2 of the large full length glasses on the showroom.  The police and fire department both showed up but surprisingly no one knew what happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• Moderators

That's exactly how we got the mixture right, it is really strong/loud. A one gallon zip lock bag is as loud as any shotgun, balloons work great even the small ones. I learned this back working in a shipyard, even an empty potato chip bag is quite loud.

One reason for doing it was there is nothing to fly and hurt someone so it was a pretty safe way of making alot of noise, but beware of static electricity.

• Like 3