Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Acetylene and oxygen balloons, BIG Glad bags, 50 gal drums, etc. Ignition by broken mini xmas light bulbs and 9-12 V batteries.

My kids loved that once a year. (out in a big field). Try about a 100 balloons tied to a fence line and set the first one off, or hanging off a kite string.

Use your imagination. (careful with the 50 gal drums.)

Too much fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

You’re wise to avoid static electricity.

OMG, yes. Remember dragging my feet on carpet to get charged up so that I could zap someone or make a balloon cling to me due to the walking capacitor. 

I have set off many charges using ox / ac mix. Some steel tubing: spacer to make room for the mix can send a Pepsi can filled with water close to out of sight, the same with the old round Quaker State bottles. 

A small sandwich bag in a room will damage one's hearing. Due to fears of a static charge, when charging a larger volume, I would use a hose, a wire with a remote broken bulb in the bag and a battery to set off shockwaves that was heard miles away. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

A small sandwich bag in a room will damage one's hearing. Due to fears of a static charge, when charging a larger volume, I would use a hose, a wire with a remote broken bulb in the bag and a battery to set off shockwaves that was heard miles away. 

That was what scared me about filling bags or balloons, possible static electricity. For the most part nothing will fly and hurt you except a little piece of what your filling, but that amount of sound that close to you could be really bad. I would guess it could blow you your ears permanently in one shot, since you can feel the pressure wave from a distance, at arm's length  it would be scary. 

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Get ready Florida

204641_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Yes here she comes, we are shutting in production and evacuating all personnel in the next couple days. Projected to skip into the gulf after crossing Florida so you guys on the gulf coast get ready too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Paper bags filled with acetylene mix go off nice. 

when I was a kid, we got hold of calcium carbide.... don't know where we got the idea, but we started launching coffee cans. The old ones that took a "key" to open.   Put a touch hole in the can with a little water and carbide.  After some thought... I know where the bad idea came from. PopularMechanics ads for carbide cannons. 

didn't take long to learn to use a long "stick" to set them off... and that if you wait too long to set it off, you get a nice little candle.

wife is going to to Dr this AM. Burning pain at her belt line and tossing up all night.  Appendix? Gall bladder? Salmonella? Whatever it is, seems I have not gotten it, yet. She does get exposed to a lot of crap.  Them kids.... Hope I'm not next. That is the tendency.

first serious weather of the season for you east coast folks. Y'all be careful. Just 'cause you're used to it, doesn't lessen the danger... Like here... when it gets hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rockhound said:

Yes here she comes, we are shutting in production and evacuating all personnel in the next couple days. Projected to skip into the gulf after crossing Florida so you guys on the gulf coast get ready too.

You folks stay safe.  We need a quiet season here after Florence last fall. 

• Like 2

on a lighter note

wife brought home a stack of vinyl.

She sez the music teacher "found" this stuff in wife's storage...I doubt it

5 copies of Larry Chesky and his Orchestra  - "I want to Play in Your Band" LPs..... virgin. Never been opened, still in original shrink wrap.  Polka.

Will sell cheap

A set of music appreciation classical music lps and [I didn't know they were doing this] a set of talking book American history lps.  No vintage on LarryChesky lps... The others are 1970.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@WillyBob

Drink some beer, grill a few brats, polka down and you and the lady could start a hoedown for the whole neighborhood!

It's not been over 80 degrees here in a few days the sun came back out and Clemson plays Ga Tech tonight!

Autumn is Coming 🌜

• Like 3

oh...

took the wife to the Dr.  norovirus ... stomach "flu"

Hoping I have already passed that... she not having any fun. Glad the facilities are close together in the bath.

listening to TomJones does acid ---- Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Still sounds good [to me]. Spontaneous Apple Creation...

Always disappointed when I put some favorite old music on.... and it didn't stand the test of time.  What did I see in this crap? No wonder Dad complained.

• Sad 3

hope the wife feels better.  I had it about a year ago.  Over it rather quickly; but, it came on hard and fast ... and i only had a mild case of it. I knew something was wrong when i developed a fever ... my body temp generally runs on the cooler side. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, WillyBob said:

took the wife to the Dr.  norovirus ... stomach "flu"

That's rough, if you only knew when it was coming on you could eat a couple of large bran muffins and be totally cleaned out. :lol:

Hope she feels better, for your sake I hope it was not your cooking. :angry:

• Like 2

Mornin' All,

was coming a few days before the obvious symptoms...  She was feeling "out of sorts"  the day prior.

No, not my cooking. She may have done it to herself. So far, neither her secretary or I have shown sign of it. The rest of the staff [all 4] have had the trots in the last week. We may be the lucky 20% Typhoid Marys

She is staying home today... and gets an extra day with LaborDay.  She is still pretty punk feeling, but better than yesterday.  Slept most of yesterday w/o urgent trips to the loo.

I am resisting the urge to joke about her getting half the fun of a cruise. She doesn't like water, either.

• Haha 2

I was following a thread here, for about a week it ran.... a member was having probs with his new CWs rolling off at 60hz and it all relating to room dimensions.

In an ideal situation

what are the parameters for a perfect listening room?

is it more dictated by the speakers you wish to place in it? 

• Moderators

I don't know the best dimensions, but close to square seems to be bad and I think almost any speaker will have the same problems more or less in a terrible room.

An easy way to test is to download one of the test tone sweeps and play it, when you hear nothing or a diminished volume your at the point where the speaker stops, or stops reproducing in that room anyway. There are plenty of test tones online, I played with one to see how much high frequency hearing I lost, it was pretty depressing really. 

Here is a bunch, find one that works best for you, I kind of like the ones that tell the frequency than plays it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ6yogf2ld.gMA9wtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0NDJzaDk2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQUJBQ0tfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=test+tone+sweep&fr2=piv-web&fr=uh3_news_web_gs

• Thanks 1

wasn’t from the Norovirus; but, many moons ago, we had just got out of six weeks in dry dock.  We get underway and sail into a storm on day one. 20 foot seas and for lunch they serve us chili and Reuben Sandwiches.  Now, I don’t get seasick; but, many do and the stench of vomit filled the ship.  The silver lining of that story ... I had all the chili that I could eat that day.  No sandwiches though ... this Reuben dude dropped the ball by putting sauerkraut on the sandwich!  May as well have put butter, Okra, liver, cottage cheese, and chocolate on a sandwich and have all the things that i don’t like. 

Lunch was fair ... the waves better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2