Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Staying in a storm is not just about the excitement, that's the fun part, the bad side besides being hurt or killed is the inconvenience of the next few weeks. A few weeks of no power and the services you get used to gives you a different attitude about appreciating things.

funny you say that, the other day i was talking to my brother about the hurricane and i mentioned how we never get anything exciting here. then i told him, he should have asked me what i thought after i’d been out of electricity for a few days.  not sure i’d last a day ... well, i’m sure i could; but, i wouldn’t like it. 

38 minutes ago, dtel said:

hurricanes hopped up on cocaine ... wait is that about a storm or a college football team?  apologies to any Miami college grads. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

A few weeks of no power and the services you get used to gives you a different attitude about appreciating things.

yeah buddy!  no electricity is a real inconvenience.  Water usually goes with it. it is a pain.  I did 3 weeks w.o. Camping indoors

• Like 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

yeah buddy!  no electricity is a real inconvenience.  Water usually goes with it. it is a pain.  I did 3 weeks w.o. Camping indoors

Did that before for 3 weeks, used 5 gallon buckets with pond water passed through a bathroom window to flush the toilet. Same pond water out the bucket to shower, it was way better than no shower. All by candlelight.

After a few days I used a small generator on the well pump for regular showers by candlelight, we keep plenty of candles. Also propane bottles to use on a cast iron 3 burner cooktop, then there is the smoker for cooking also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Did that before for 3 weeks, used 5 gallon buckets with pond water passed through a bathroom window to flush the toilet. Same pond water out the bucket to shower, it was way better than no shower. All by candlelight.

After a few days I used a small generator on the well pump for regular showers by candlelight, we keep plenty of candles. Also propane bottles to use on a cast iron 3 burner cooktop, then there is the smoker for cooking also.

that sounds real rough.  How often does something like you just described happen?  If it was too much, i’d really have to wonder if it was worth living in that area.  Perhaps i’m just spoiled. I grew up in a concrete jungle --  earthquakes are the biggest natural disaster from where i’m from; but, they’re certainly not a common occurrence (i mean really big ones).  Large one happen so rarely that i’ve never once even worried about living in earthquake territory. 

i don’t think i’m tough enough to live where you do. I’m whining because it’s warm in the house right now. a few days without power and i’d be hightailing it somewhere else ... for good. guess it would be tough if you were raised there and leaving family behind. i get that. But, then i’ve always said that the place where we grew up, that was our parents hometown, not ours. 

I do salute you cats that endure this stuff. 

• Like 1

Grew up in Wilmington and have never left for a hurricane.  Saw Hazel rip through when I was 5 years old and too many to count since then.  Lost one Jeep Wagoneer to a falling tree and had one Oak fall softly on the roof.  Never taped or boarded up windows either. 

I do the small things like securing potential missiles in the yard and then hope for the best.  Always filled the bath tubs for water to flush or to dip in after a day of yard clean up and no electricity.  Sometimes fill up tupperware and freeze to keep the fridge cold. 

That's about it......maybe 30 minutes prep.

• Like 3

we were fortunate that Iniki was only on us for a couple hours. A tree landed [softly] on our Jeep. My Honda car got blown across the street. Gotta love those CVCC engines... no compression to stop it from rolling - much. We had to use a beach shower to bathe.

can scratch hurricane off the bucket list.

on the news

showing how to prepare... showed a fridge full of perishables.  That's a plan for a big bbq. 

Y'all be safe.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the Bahamas scoured into the ocean.

So Mike, normality resumes?   My wife is still shaking out the opening things.  Admin crap. The kids are great. Bloody adults are the problem.

getting a big kickback on e-cigs and "vaping".

... those that use them, I would suggest getting your supplies from a reputable vendor. "Knock offs" could be iffy.  I did see a reasonable commercial for an e-cig. Marketed as a device for ingesting nicotine. Nothing more. Sort of a more PC way to indulge your addiction.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

How often does something like you just described happen?  

Not too often but when it does, you remember it.  During Rita we had no power or water for 8 days.  Another storm it was 3 days.  Since I put in my whole house generator we've been fine but are ready if it happens again.  Got plenty of water in the pool to flush commodes.  During Harvey we had electricity but no water for several days as the city pumps went under water and shorted the electric motors.  I went to all my neighbors houses and let them know that I'd leave my back gate open for them and they could use as much as they needed.  Most didn't want to use all my water up but I told them that if we use all 25,000 gallons I'd be shocked.  I remember seeing people with coolers and jugs filling up anywhere there was standing water.  There was plenty of drinking water in the stores but nothing in the city supplied lines.

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

that sounds real rough.  How often does something like you just described happen?

It has only happened once since we lived here, 22+ years. But there was no power for well over 100 miles which makes it VERY dark outside at night all we could see was Coast Guard helicopters lights back and forth around New orleans as they rescued people.

• Like 4